Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Safety in Bologna? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/safety-in-bologna-545574/)

parkhill24 Jul 20th, 2005 09:21 AM

Safety in Bologna?

I wonder about our hotel location in Bologna. It is near the Arena del Sole, about two-thirds of the way down Via Indipendenza toward the center -- specifically, the Hotel Paradise at Vicolo Cattani 7. What's the area like, especially for an evening walk back from the center, say 9 p.m.? Anyone stayed at the Paradise? Bologna hotels are full for a trade fair in late September.

kenderina Jul 20th, 2005 09:53 AM

I haven't been in Bologna but 9 PM looks to me a very early time to be unsafe. Everyone should be having dinner at that time :)

LoveItaly Jul 20th, 2005 10:14 AM

Hi parkhill, out of curiosity I googled this Hotel and it looks just fine. Bologna is an easy city to be in and as kenderina said at 9:00pm at night people will be in restaurants having dinner etc. Also I have always found a lot of people walking around in Bologna. People in Italy spend a lot more time outdoors than they so in the US which is one reason the cities are so vibrant and fun.

Bologna does have a large university student population and so there is drug use but that is nothing that will be a problem for you. I have friends in Italy whose daughter lived in an apt. in Bologna for several years while she attended university and she never had a problem. But as anywhere, stay alert etc., but that is true for any city. Personally I would feel safer in Bologna then a lot of US cities.

Bologna is a beautiful city and walking is so easy. Enjoy your visit!!

KT Jul 20th, 2005 10:24 AM

I also just looked at this hotel, and it looks pretty central. I agree with what the others have said: don't worry. I do recall that a few years ago a Bolognese friend of mine advised me to stay out of the Giardino Pubblico (which is between the station and the hotel, but quite avoidable if you just stick to the main streets) late at night, as it was then a center for drug deals and other sleazy doings, but I don't know if that's still true.

parkhill24 Jul 20th, 2005 10:58 AM

I appreciate the replies. To clarify, we're experienced travelers, in Italy and elsewhere, and my question really relates to a specific area rather than "Dear me, will we be safe in Italy." Actually, we willl probably be eating at 9 p.m. with everyone else!

donco Jul 20th, 2005 11:23 AM

We stayed 5 days in the Sofitel across from the stazione and walked 15 minutes from there to and from restaurant Bertino (highly recommend!) on V. Lame on streets less populated than Indipendenza and we had no problems. I can't find V. Cattani on my little map but you should be fine on that main street.

Matt Jul 21st, 2005 07:31 AM

The area your are staying is fine. You should avoid the area near the central University at night (in the middle of Via Zamboni), there is some drug dealing etc going on there (at least until a year ago).

kenderina Jul 21st, 2005 07:41 AM

I just was trying to point that "at night" in Italy (as well as here in Spain) and especially in summer..is after 1 or 2 AM :)

GeoffHamer Jul 21st, 2005 07:46 AM

Bologna is a lovely city. I've been there several times and would happily go back there. I'm sure drug-dealing goes on - it probably happens in every city - but it won't cause a problem. Even if you walk along a street where there are drug dealers, they won't bother you, unless perhaps you look as though you might want to buy or sell.

parkhill24 Jul 21st, 2005 01:49 PM

Right, Geoff. Straight on it is! And thanks to all.

capxxx Jul 22nd, 2005 05:09 AM

Hey, I stayed at the Hotel Paradise! Its a nice place. Near the main shopping street in a quiet pedestrian area.

The neighborhood is not creepy at all, especially in the directions of the center or the university. North, near the station, gets a little more rundown.

I think Bologna has the best food in Italy. There was one restuarant, in particular, that we still daydream about -- I'll try to look up the name tonight.

capxxx Jul 22nd, 2005 05:11 AM

I should mention that, since it is in a pedestrian district, there are big signs prohibiting cars from the area (police cameras will photograph your license plate). If you are driving, just go past the signs -- the hotel will notify the police that you are a guest so you won't get a ticket.

capxxx Jul 22nd, 2005 05:18 AM

Ah, my husband remembers: Trattoria Anna Maria (note there is another place nearby with a similar name, maybe Restuarant Ana Maria), near the theater. Man o man. I ate there twice, it was so good.

Matt Jul 22nd, 2005 05:27 AM

I've been to Anna Maria too, great tagliatelle!