Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Robbed in Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/robbed-in-florence-707890/)

glk11b May 25th, 2007 04:03 AM

Robbed in Florence

We were waiting for a taxi after checking out of our hotel. A man stumbled and spilled what looked like hand lotion on my wife. As were were distracted trying to remove this, they walked off with our carry on bags. Reported all of this at the police station but got no help from the hotel. Any suggestions about getting the hotel to pay for our loss?

altamiro May 25th, 2007 04:16 AM

>Any suggestions about getting the hotel to pay for our loss?

The hotel? Why? It´s not like they are somehow complicit in the theft (NOT robbery)

altamiro May 25th, 2007 04:19 AM

I´m really sorry that it had to happen to you on your vacation, though.

Did you have something like a travel insurance? It might be easier to get them to replace the loss.

Padraig May 25th, 2007 04:20 AM

I'm sorry about your misfortune, but it is *your* misfortune. Is there any reason why the hotel should be held responsible for the actions of people who were not (I presume) their staff? Or have obligations to people who were no longer their guests?

I hope you had insurance. That's what it is for.

janisj May 25th, 2007 04:25 AM

horrible way to end your holiday.

But having said that - Why on Earth do you think the hotel owes you anything?

jjkbrook May 25th, 2007 04:30 AM

thats a gypsy/grifter trick in cities all over the world. I think in NYC they use mustard. Its really too bad but did this even occur inside the hotel? Cant see why they might be responsible.

sandi_travelnut May 25th, 2007 04:44 AM

My parents just got back from Europe and I told them about this trick because I read it here months ago. I told them that if anyone spills something on you to immediately grab your belongings, luggage, purse, wallet whatever.

fmpden May 25th, 2007 06:12 AM

.....Any suggestions about getting the hotel to pay for our loss? ......

Typical Am tourist response ???? Why not sue the City of Florence? They are more responsible for controling street theft than the hotel. Find someone else to blame. Don't take any responsibility for your actions, or lack of action or what you may have contributed to the theft -- too much luggage, valuables in unsecured bags, not paying attention to your surroundings, looking like an easy target, etc.

Bloom May 25th, 2007 06:17 AM

Nice.

Travelnut May 25th, 2007 06:21 AM

I'm sorry, but other than a claim to your trip insurance, you'll have to file this under "lesson learned". It's so sad to end a nice vacation on such a sour note.

USNR May 25th, 2007 06:40 AM

This theft is a variation on an old scam that often involved a newspaper and a squirt bottle of catsup. The scam artist approaches the mark while holding a rolled-up newspaper in which the catsup bottle rests. He squeezes the paper and out comes a squirt of catsup onto the mark. He apologizes profusely, produces a rag or handkerchief, wipes down the mark, thus distracting one and all. While this goes on, his accomplices take advantage of the mess and confusion, often making off with the mark's valuables. This used to be very common in Latin America, particularly on the streets of Buenos Aires. So now you are sadder but wiser. Save your breath, however -- the hotel has no responsibility in this affair. You had checked out, you were off their property, and the event happened on a public street. Sorry.

j_999_9 May 25th, 2007 07:05 AM

Well, you didn't get much sympathy (and, really, I wondered if you were serious about the hotel's responsibility), but thanks for reminding everyone that this scam still exists.

MaureenB May 25th, 2007 07:06 AM

Thanks for alerting travelers that this scam took place in Florence recently. I'm sorry for the trouble and expense it will cost you.
:)>-

rmeyer May 25th, 2007 07:11 AM

Hey "fmpden", give us a break. This is a travel message board, take your political agenda elsewhere and take a long look in the mirror before you make comments like you did.

vivi May 25th, 2007 07:42 AM

So sorry to hear your tale. I got pickpocketed in tiny Vernazza about 10 days ago. I called my husband, he filed a claim for me with our homeowners insurance, no police report was required. We will get reimbursed for part of the loss.

Lawchick May 25th, 2007 07:45 AM

Beware, kids do this trick in Gare du Midi in Brussels with shaving foam of all things.

Travelnut May 25th, 2007 07:48 AM

um, didn't really see a "political agenda" in the response by fmpden. it's pretty much a fact of life that lawsuits, often frivolous or even outrageous, have permeated American society. Like a burglar successfully suing a homeowner for injuries sustained while committing said burglary? Remember the McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit? ridiculous but true.

Travelnut May 25th, 2007 07:49 AM

Shaving foam is far more acceptable than mustard!
It's good to know some homeowners insurance policies might cover these type of losses, I didn't know that.

rmeyer May 25th, 2007 07:57 AM

Travelnut - when someone says "Typical American Tourist Response", that is just plain rude and ignorant, not a commentary on lawsuits generated in the U.S. (which I would agree with you are over the top). But let's not generalize American Tourists as is so 'in fashion' these days. How does he know that glk11b is even American? Just plain ignorance.

j_999_9 May 25th, 2007 08:10 AM

I'm suggesting that the next poster who uses "um" gets sprayed with ketchup, shaving cream and hand lotion.