Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rent A Car For Day Trip To Siena/Chianti Or Do Private Tour? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rent-a-car-for-day-trip-to-siena-chianti-or-do-private-tour-866715/)

beachguru123 Nov 15th, 2010 08:52 AM

Rent A Car For Day Trip To Siena/Chianti Or Do Private Tour?

Hi everyone....We will be in Florence and Venice for Christmas and have slated December 23rd as the day to see parts of Tuscany -- namely, Siena and Chianti. My question to you is: Is it worth it to not have the hassle of renting and returning a car for one day and just pay for a private tour that will drive you there? If so, who would you recommend? And, lastly, if you only had one full day to go to Tuscany, are Siena and Chianti the areas you would choose? (We are a family of four, including a 19 yr old and 16 yr old). Thanks in advance!

bobthenavigator Nov 15th, 2010 09:16 AM

In late Dec. I would let the weather dictate where I went. The country side will be bleak---I would bus to Siena for the day---weather permitting.

beachguru123 Nov 15th, 2010 09:25 AM

Can you still go wine tasting during that time?

Dayle Nov 15th, 2010 10:03 AM

beachgura,

I think getting to/from Siena and seeing the main sights there will take most of your day. Especially during the short winter daylight hours.

If you want to try for both, I think a guide would make the most of your time. I would wonder if many wineries would be willing to make an appointment during the holidays. It's not like wine tasting in the US where the wineries are open 7 days a week to public tastings.

zoecat Nov 15th, 2010 10:21 AM

I agree that hiring a guide for one day is your best bet. They will know where best to go and be able to show you some sights/areas/food that you would not find on your own. Some of Chianti and Siena will be a a full, jam-packed day. Your guide should be able to maximize your time into a rewarding daytrip.

Dukey1 Nov 15th, 2010 11:11 AM

I think before you hire ANY guides, etc., you need to decide just what it is you want to do most.

You could EASILY sspend most of if not a complete day IN Siena seeing just the so-called "major" sites such as the cathedral. You could also spend a LOT of time just driving around in Chianti without setting oot in a single winery...the towns in the general area alone contain plenty to see and do.

If you go with a guide I would say I want to do this, this, and this....

ellenem Nov 15th, 2010 12:06 PM

Often recommended here for such a private tour is Luca of hillsandroads.com. We had a great day out with him.

k9korps Nov 15th, 2010 01:02 PM

I 2nd ellen's recommendation. Luca is a good one.

kfusto Nov 16th, 2010 06:30 AM

A third vote for Luca. We have used him for a half dozen private tours over the years and been very pleased. He lives in Siena and will tailor your day to exactly what you want to see.

Connie Nov 16th, 2010 07:53 AM

We used the bus--clean, cheap and easy.

Dayle Nov 16th, 2010 08:01 AM

Also, if you've never visited a winery and want to go for the whole experience, tour, education, meeting the vinter, or if you have a certain favorite winery you want to visit, then yes, I would get a private guide to arrange and take you.

But, if you really want to taste wine and to sample many different types and vitners, going to a good enoteca in Florence might be the best bet.

On my last trip, I spent 3 nts in Montalcino because I wanted to do a lot of tasting. Rather than go a winery or even on of the winery shops in town, I prefered to go up to the Fortezza where they had hundred of varieties for tasting. Also very knowledgable staff.