Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rent A Car For Day Trip To Siena/Chianti Or Do Private Tour?

Old Nov 15th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone....We will be in Florence and Venice for Christmas and have slated December 23rd as the day to see parts of Tuscany -- namely, Siena and Chianti. My question to you is: Is it worth it to not have the hassle of renting and returning a car for one day and just pay for a private tour that will drive you there? If so, who would you recommend? And, lastly, if you only had one full day to go to Tuscany, are Siena and Chianti the areas you would choose? (We are a family of four, including a 19 yr old and 16 yr old). Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 09:16 AM

In late Dec. I would let the weather dictate where I went. The country side will be bleak---I would bus to Siena for the day---weather permitting.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Can you still go wine tasting during that time?
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM

beachgura,

I think getting to/from Siena and seeing the main sights there will take most of your day. Especially during the short winter daylight hours.

If you want to try for both, I think a guide would make the most of your time. I would wonder if many wineries would be willing to make an appointment during the holidays. It's not like wine tasting in the US where the wineries are open 7 days a week to public tastings.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM

I agree that hiring a guide for one day is your best bet. They will know where best to go and be able to show you some sights/areas/food that you would not find on your own. Some of Chianti and Siena will be a a full, jam-packed day. Your guide should be able to maximize your time into a rewarding daytrip.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think before you hire ANY guides, etc., you need to decide just what it is you want to do most.

You could EASILY sspend most of if not a complete day IN Siena seeing just the so-called "major" sites such as the cathedral. You could also spend a LOT of time just driving around in Chianti without setting oot in a single winery...the towns in the general area alone contain plenty to see and do.

If you go with a guide I would say I want to do this, this, and this....
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 12:06 PM

Often recommended here for such a private tour is Luca of hillsandroads.com. We had a great day out with him.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 01:02 PM

I 2nd ellen's recommendation. Luca is a good one.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 06:30 AM

A third vote for Luca. We have used him for a half dozen private tours over the years and been very pleased. He lives in Siena and will tailor your day to exactly what you want to see.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 07:53 AM

We used the bus--clean, cheap and easy.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Also, if you've never visited a winery and want to go for the whole experience, tour, education, meeting the vinter, or if you have a certain favorite winery you want to visit, then yes, I would get a private guide to arrange and take you.

But, if you really want to taste wine and to sample many different types and vitners, going to a good enoteca in Florence might be the best bet.

On my last trip, I spent 3 nts in Montalcino because I wanted to do a lot of tasting. Rather than go a winery or even on of the winery shops in town, I prefered to go up to the Fortezza where they had hundred of varieties for tasting. Also very knowledgable staff.