Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Possible to hire a boat for a ride along the coast in Positano? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/possible-to-hire-a-boat-for-a-ride-along-the-coast-in-positano-165572/)

Sandi Feb 28th, 2002 09:52 AM

Possible to hire a boat for a ride along the coast in Positano?

Hello all. This is a very last minute question, I leave in about 18 hours for Italy. I'll check back before I go to see if there are any replies. <BR><BR>I want to get a view of the Amalfi coast from the water. Wanted to take a ferry but they are apparently not in season yet. Was going to take a hydrofoil from Sorrento to Naples but now the timing will be off to do that. <BR><BR>I'm going to take the bus along the Amalfi coast and wanted to stop in Positano to walk around and see some of the town. I also would like to take a boat ride of some kind, but it would have to be a brief trip. It would have to be fairly inexpensive. I am on a budget. <BR><BR>If anyone has some ideas about this, please share them with me. Thanks in advance!<BR><BR>Sandi

hamlet Feb 28th, 2002 10:16 AM

In the past we've rented a boat and went around on your own, but that was during tourist season, and I don't know if you'll see many boats for hire yet this time of year. Your best bet may be to ask around when you get there - ask your taxi driver or the person at the front desk or someone you see getting on to a boat at the marina. You may be able to strike up a good deal for a personalized trip with a local resident. Maybe Vincenzo will have other ideas...

Steve James Mar 1st, 2002 12:53 AM

Hello Sandi,<BR><BR>There are several options in Positano for boat trips by arrangement:-<BR>www.syrene.it/gennaroesalvatore<BR>www.bludream.it<BR>www.lucibe llo.it<BR>I'm not sure that they would be 'budget' options though.<BR><BR>Alternatively, the Sorrento-Capri ferry service is a year-round service which gives you fine views - though these are of the Bay of Naples rather than the Amalfi Coast itself.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve

Tammy Mar 1st, 2002 03:26 AM

Steve James,<BR><BR>You have been very helpful to me in the past. Can you recommend any boat rentals in Amalfi?

Steve James Mar 1st, 2002 04:30 AM

Hello again Tammy,<BR><BR>Two companies I have listed in Amalfi, though I've never used them, are:-<BR>www.amalfisails.it<BR>www.starnet.it/ornsay<BR><BR>I would imagine that the Positano hirers I mentioned above would also rent out of Amalfi by arrangement.<BR><BR>What kind of boat are you looking for?<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

stacy Mar 1st, 2002 07:06 AM

Along the same line, does anyone know when the ferry from Positano to Capri starts to run?

Tammy Mar 1st, 2002 03:06 PM

Thank you Steve. I am looking for something small that will hold about six people. A head would be nice.

Tammy Mar 2nd, 2002 04:01 AM

Top for Steve.

Steve James Mar 2nd, 2002 05:45 AM

Tammy - I can't find anything else for Amalfi online, though I'm sure there will be others.<BR><BR>In Salerno there's<BR>www.nolobarchesaturno.com<BR><BR>But those in Positano would be nearer.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

Tammy Mar 2nd, 2002 11:17 AM

Thank you.