Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Possible to hire a boat for a ride along the coast in Positano?

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Sandi

Hello all. This is a very last minute question, I leave in about 18 hours for Italy. I'll check back before I go to see if there are any replies.

I want to get a view of the Amalfi coast from the water. Wanted to take a ferry but they are apparently not in season yet. Was going to take a hydrofoil from Sorrento to Naples but now the timing will be off to do that.

I'm going to take the bus along the Amalfi coast and wanted to stop in Positano to walk around and see some of the town. I also would like to take a boat ride of some kind, but it would have to be a brief trip. It would have to be fairly inexpensive. I am on a budget.

If anyone has some ideas about this, please share them with me. Thanks in advance!

Sandi

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 10:16 AM
hamlet

In the past we've rented a boat and went around on your own, but that was during tourist season, and I don't know if you'll see many boats for hire yet this time of year. Your best bet may be to ask around when you get there - ask your taxi driver or the person at the front desk or someone you see getting on to a boat at the marina. You may be able to strike up a good deal for a personalized trip with a local resident. Maybe Vincenzo will have other ideas...

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:53 AM
Steve James

Hello Sandi,

There are several options in Positano for boat trips by arrangementBR>www.syrene.it/gennaroesalvatore
www.bludream.it
www.lucibello.it
I'm not sure that they would be 'budget' options though.

Alternatively, the Sorrento-Capri ferry service is a year-round service which gives you fine views - though these are of the Bay of Naples rather than the Amalfi Coast itself.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:26 AM
Tammy

Steve James,

You have been very helpful to me in the past. Can you recommend any boat rentals in Amalfi?

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:30 AM
Steve James

Hello again Tammy,

Two companies I have listed in Amalfi, though I've never used them, areBR>www.amalfisails.it
www.starnet.it/ornsay

I would imagine that the Positano hirers I mentioned above would also rent out of Amalfi by arrangement.

What kind of boat are you looking for?

Steve

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 07:06 AM
stacy

Along the same line, does anyone know when the ferry from Positano to Capri starts to run?

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:06 PM
Tammy

Thank you Steve. I am looking for something small that will hold about six people. A head would be nice.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:01 AM
Tammy

Top for Steve.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:45 AM
Steve James

Tammy - I can't find anything else for Amalfi online, though I'm sure there will be others.

In Salerno there's
www.nolobarchesaturno.com

But those in Positano would be nearer.

Good luck!

Steve

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:17 AM
Tammy

Thank you.