Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Places on the Amalfi Coast that are not "touristy"? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/places-on-the-amalfi-coast-that-are-not-touristy-576520/)

MollyJones Dec 15th, 2005 01:34 PM

Places on the Amalfi Coast that are not "touristy"?

Looking for places between Sorrento and Salerno (along the Amalfi Coast) that are nice and not very "touristy". My base will be in Atrani for 4 nights in June and we will be relying on Public Transport and taxis (if required). We enjoy hiking, swimming and places that are quaint or different. Not really into the shopping scence we much prefer nature and it's natural beauty. Thanks

SeaUrchin Dec 15th, 2005 01:45 PM

Atrani is right around the corner from Amalfi and that whole strip of land over the water and along the coast will be chocked full of tourists in June.

The further you head towards Salerno the less tourists you will find. Also the further you hike inland and on the hills the less tourists you will run across.

June is their high season. Get the Sunflower walking tours guides and take to the hills!

TuckH Dec 15th, 2005 03:23 PM

>>not very "touristy".<<

Massa Lubrense - hike to the end of Punta Campanella and reach out and (almost) touch Capri.

bellastar Dec 16th, 2005 11:04 AM

If you can make your way to the town of Nerano on the Sorrentine Penninsula and pick up a hiking map (probably available in the tourist offices at Sant'agata and or Termini, maybe also in Nerano, you will find a wonderful and not heavily used hiking trail going from Nerano down and across the slopes to Baia Jeranto. This is a fairly vigorous hike, which ends on a beautiful and isolated beach "Capitello" in a little bay where the swimming is undisturbed and the water clean. It will take a day to get there, be there, and return.
Boats (with their loads of tourists) are not commonly seen there. It would be a day of it, and you must bring water (and some food-pleeese don't leave trash behind though!). The last bit is a steep climb down a rocky, crevaced path, but OH, so worth the effort! This is one out of the way spot I don't mind posting on Fodor's, because its' natural remoteness prevents it from getting overrun!
I don't know about "quaint" but it's a lovely, natural place.

There is a bus that connects to the Sorrentine Penninsula that runs along the Amalfi coast- ask in Atrani. Good luck if this is a path you end up taking...have a good time!

MollyJones Dec 17th, 2005 12:10 PM

Thank you everyone, little bit of research for me as I haven't heard of Massa Lubrense or Nerano.

bellastar Dec 18th, 2005 08:29 AM

Research is always fun, Mollyjones.
You may not have heard of these places for the very reason that they are not as "touristy" as others in that area!

Sher Dec 18th, 2005 10:27 AM

I bought a Sunflower Landscapes Guide: Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast three or four years ago.
It has walks, picnics and car routes along the Amalfi Coast.
The walk segment information is fairly extensive. There is information also on the Altrani area.
You may find this guide helpful. I ordered it from Amazon.UK, I believe.

Marianna Dec 18th, 2005 02:34 PM

MollyJones, we loved Massa Lubrense. We are walkers, not hikers but we think it is a beautiful area to explore no matter how you do it! This website might be helpful to you:

http://www.giovis.com/Egiovis.htm

Enjoy your trip!

MollyJones Dec 20th, 2005 01:07 AM

Marianna, great website for descriptive walks on the amalfi, thanks so much

Bellastar
"You may not have heard of these places for the very reason that they are not as "touristy" as others in that area" indeed i believe this to be true ... there are plenty of treasures out there. Cheers

Gerardo Feb 10th, 2006 06:12 AM

From Ravello just venture across the Dragone valley to the town of Scala and the hamlets of Minuta and Pontone.Visit these places with the aid of the Sunflower Guidebook mentioned above and it makes for an interesting non-touristy day bumping into local farmers and smallholders (and the odd mule)and walking on the original steps all the way down to Amalfi

ABENDIGO Feb 15th, 2006 12:54 AM

Does the "Sunflower" bookguide have tips/walks on what to visit in the actual towns or only information/walks around the towns? Thanks!

Gerardo Aug 28th, 2006 04:22 AM

The Sunflower book is mainly a hiking book from Town to Town or village to village but contains useful tourist info including maps and bus times etc.

((8))