Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Parlez vous francais?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/parlez-vous-francais-628357/)

Kathryncee Jul 4th, 2006 09:10 AM

Parlez vous francais??

My husband and I are visiting France this summer for the first time. While visiting other countries we like to learn about their culture, mannerisms, etc.. especially the language.

Though I took french in middle school- as an adult my french is lacking at best.

We picked up a few basic phrase books and vocab books... my question is this- has it been your experience that the locals like you to try to communicate in their language or do they tend to be aggravated by this this?

I enjoy learning the basics- just don't want to offend anyone by not speaking it fluently.

Please share your experience! Thank you- Kate

Kathryncee Jul 4th, 2006 09:35 AM

I may have posted this twice- sorry!

moolyn Jul 4th, 2006 09:43 AM

Kate,

My experience from our recent trip to the Dordogne is that the French are very patient with people who don't speak their language well. They are pleased that you try. Many speak English anyway, especially in bigger places and tourist attractions, and those who don't often are often apologetic. So don't worry. Continue to practice your basic phrases and memorize some vocabulary and you'll be fine.

annhig Jul 4th, 2006 09:44 AM

In my experience, France is one place above others where attempts to speak french are really appreciated, and they won't usually try to speak english if you are speaking french, even if theirs is better than yours. In fact, we once went through a whole vineyard tour in Bordeaux in French, only to find out that our guide was english!
AS OPs have said elsewhere, it is expected that on entering a shop you say "Bonjour" to the assembled customers/ shopkeeper, "s'il vous plait" and "merci" are obligatory, and "au revoir" on leaving is required. Otherwise, pointing and smiles should usually get you through. Don't worry about making mistakes - we all do it and it gives the french something to feel superior about.
OPs will be fed up with me recommending the Michel Thomas language tapes/discs, but IMO they are definitely the best way of learning the basic grammar and vocab that you can then apply in any situation. He does a starter course of two discs, which you might just get through before you go. [try amazon or e-bay]. Have a lovely time and let us all know how you get on!

wug Jul 4th, 2006 09:45 AM

Hi Kate

Oui, je parle francais... but my husband and daughter do not. We were just there with three other friends who also did not speak French. Everyone learned basic greetings in French and used them whenever they could. The French truly appreciate this. They don't care if you can't speak fluently, they just appreciate it if you try to learn at least some of their language.

I was not with our daugter and her friend all the time nor was I with the adult couple that went with us. They had no problem and kept commenting on how incredibly helpful the Parisians were.

I have been to France many times with non French speakers and we always find this to be the case. Do you best, make an effort and it will be appreciated. They will respond in English if they can or they will do their best to help.

Of course, as in any place, you may run into a mean person here and there, it's not because you are a tourist but just because that person is a mean person... to anyone.

Have a wonderful time! France is a great country. You will enjoy it!

cocofromdijon Jul 4th, 2006 09:57 AM

Bienvenue en France Kate! And don't worry you'll have a great time ;-)

lucygirl Jul 4th, 2006 10:02 AM

I absolutely agree they appreciate any attempt to speak French. I found that many people were more than happy to help us out with directions, ordering food etc. and switched to english before we even told them that's what we speak.

We were happily surprised at how patient and kind people were. Have fun practicing the language while on your trip!

chevre Jul 4th, 2006 10:51 AM

I agree with everyone regarding attempts at the language. The French are extremely proud of being French! And I have always felt that Americans unfairly criticize them for being rude. They are not rude, they are formal. Like another poster said, Bonjour, S 'il vous plait and Au Revoir are expected, to the French it is polite. Your servers will not hover around the table, they don't want to intrude. If you need him or her, a smile and a glance will usually do. You'll have to ask for the check too. Trust waiters' recommendations for wine w/your meal. I have never had someone suggest the most expensive, always the one that would taste the best. Enjoy!

Kathryncee Jul 4th, 2006 11:04 AM

Merci!

Gavin Jul 4th, 2006 01:36 PM

I agree with what has been said. Do your best to learn some French but don't get worked up about it. Your middle school French will help a lot because you will know the basics of pronounciation. Knowing some French goes beyond good manners. You will encounter people who know less English than you do French so if you want to order food in a restaurant that is off the tourist trail knowing some French will be very helpful.

The French may be formal but they are not all stuffy. We were once in a suburban Paris bistro wanting to order lunch. The menu was, naturally, all French. The waitress did not know English so she "translated" with apropriate animal sounds and gestures. It was great fun.

Graziella5b Jul 4th, 2006 02:02 PM

I agree totally with annhig, Bon Jour, merci...etc are really expected. A smile always help. Bon voyage.

Danna Jul 4th, 2006 02:09 PM

I suggest you go to your library or purchase Pimsleur's language tapes. I started learning french in my car before work. Now, I had more advance time than you, but I think even the first section or the "travelers" set will be helpful. Even stumbling french is better than none at all. Phrase books are good, but it's the give and take that you can brush up on.

Sue4 Jul 4th, 2006 05:18 PM

I agree with all that's been said. The French are very helpful and really appreciate those who TRY to speak a little French. The Pimsleur tapes are terrific. I knew some grammar, etc. from school many years ago, but Pimsleur brought together essential conversation for me. Even if you don't have much time for the tapes now before your trip, you'll probably be going back to France! Anyway, post us a report after you return.

Kathryncee Jul 4th, 2006 05:41 PM

Going to get the tapes tommorow.. thank you for your feedback!

luveurop Jul 4th, 2006 05:47 PM

I learned more French listening/watching these (free) online videos than I ever did studying French for five years in school.

A bit dated, but still great!

http://www.learner.org/resources/series83.html

msm4 Jul 5th, 2006 03:15 AM

Bonjour, Kathryncee,

I'd only add that in addition to using bonjour, merci, au revoir and s'il vous plait, you add Madame / Mademoiselle / Monsieur to whatever you're saying. Helps big-time. If you start to listen for these words, you'll hear them constantly. To French ears, a bonjour, merci, etc. without the honorific sounds unfinished. Bon voyage!
msm4

xyz123 Jul 5th, 2006 03:41 AM

Je peux parle le francais un peu...but every time I try, especially in restaurants, they recognize my linguistic futility and begin conversing en anglais; ;especially in the cheap tourist oriented restaurants in the St. Michel area I frequent (couldn't be my t-shirt, blue jeans and sneakers could it?)....but some words that still come in handy are moyen (medium for meat), saignant (rare for meat), de l'eau (water), de moutard (mustard), l'addition (the bill) and of course as noted, merci monseiur (or madame) when finished.

On the metro, it helps to know the word carnet (or dix), correspondance (transfer in orange usually), sortie (exit)...

One point while driving during my most recent visit to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, I noticed the stop signs all said "STOP" not "HALT" which I think is the word in German...didn't notice in France if they said "STOP" or 'ARRET"...if driving on the motorways the word "SORTIE" means "EXIT"...

And if you're watching the World Cup, "UNE BUT" means "A GOAL" (got that from my hockey background).

Now you know the extent of my French!

xyz123 Jul 5th, 2006 03:42 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot some of the really important ones..

Un biere s'il vous plait (a beer please)

un vin rouge (red win)

and of course the most important

un coca light s'il vous plait (a diet coke please!)

cocofromdijon Jul 5th, 2006 04:13 AM

well done xyz but we say une bière ((B))(feminine)un but, de la moutarde,and for medium meat I would say "à point" ;-)

xyz123 Jul 5th, 2006 04:25 AM

merci...