Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   paris to london to paris by boat (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-to-london-to-paris-by-boat-233470/)

tim Jun 22nd, 2002 09:48 AM

paris to london to paris by boat

any one know of nice boat rides round trip from paris to london (and back)?<BR><BR>eurostar/chunnel not interesting to me. i have time to take boat.<BR><BR>thankyou.

nic Jun 22nd, 2002 11:03 AM

There is a ferry or a hovercraft of some sort from Dover to Calais,I believe.<BR>Or do you mean an actual ship from England to France? THen you might dock in Marseilles and have to fly/drive to Paris.Whatever you do, you will need to train/drive from London to the coast then coast to Paris.<BR>Chunnel is great.

Angela Jun 22nd, 2002 11:14 AM

Tim,<BR><BR>www.posl.com (P&O Stena line - British)<BR>www.seafrance.com<BR><BR>Both have large ferries running from Dover to Calais. The fastest being the seafrance "Rodin" which does the journey in just over an hour and is a lovely new ship. Their other ships are a little bit scruffy and old now. P&O have the nicest ships, they are all of a high standard, the crossing is really pleasant and takes about 90 minutes. For a small surcharge you can book club class, for a nice quiet lounge and free champagne, hot drinks and fruit with waiter service. On a sunny day you can sit on the sun deck and take in the views of the white cliffs of Dover as you come in to dock. Often, on a clear day you can look back and see the French coastline at the same time. It is a lovely way to cross the channel if you can spare the extra hour of time needed, compared to the tunnel.

Inky Jun 22nd, 2002 11:20 AM

But then you have to find your way from Calais to Paris.

Maggie Jun 22nd, 2002 12:46 PM

Or Paris to Calais?<BR>

BabyJane Jun 23rd, 2002 08:59 AM

It's perfectly possible to buy a train ticket to Paris with a sea crossing included. You take the train to the port, get off the train, walk a short distance, then get on the ferry. When you dock in France, the train is waiting to take you to Paris. Hope you're a good sailor because the Channel can be rough!

Ben Haines Jun 24th, 2002 09:03 AM

On 16 June I am afraid the service declined, and on all journeys but one you must change also at Boulogne. The exception is particularly pleasant if you vary a little on the standard times. Paris Nord 0958, Sundays excepted, TGV, Calais 1140 to 1230, SeaFrance ship, with a fine lunch in a restaurant with a view of the white cliffs, Dover 1300 to 1406, Faversham cross platform change 1435 to 1438, London Victoria 1548.<BR>There are free busses between ttrain and port at both ports.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, in Riga<BR>

Randy Malpaso Jun 28th, 2002 04:09 AM

Imagine the scene. Lovely day in riga, tourists everywhere. A regular fodors drone tells his wife/partner/boyfriend that he cant visit the 13th century church, instead he's visiting an internet cafe armed with his thomas cook book of paris boat times.

nosuch Jun 28th, 2002 06:53 AM

Tim,take the advice,don't do the channel crossing by boat.It may sound nice but most people do get seasick.I don't know why but the sea is so rough.I swore I would never do it again,it was dreadful,even the hovercraft.