paris to london to paris by boat

Jun 22nd, 2002, 10:48 AM
tim

paris to london to paris by boat

any one know of nice boat rides round trip from paris to london (and back)?

eurostar/chunnel not interesting to me. i have time to take boat.

thankyou.

Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:03 PM
nic

There is a ferry or a hovercraft of some sort from Dover to Calais,I believe.
Or do you mean an actual ship from England to France? THen you might dock in Marseilles and have to fly/drive to Paris.Whatever you do, you will need to train/drive from London to the coast then coast to Paris.
Chunnel is great.

Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:14 PM
Angela

Tim,

www.posl.com (P&O Stena line - British)
www.seafrance.com

Both have large ferries running from Dover to Calais. The fastest being the seafrance "Rodin" which does the journey in just over an hour and is a lovely new ship. Their other ships are a little bit scruffy and old now. P&O have the nicest ships, they are all of a high standard, the crossing is really pleasant and takes about 90 minutes. For a small surcharge you can book club class, for a nice quiet lounge and free champagne, hot drinks and fruit with waiter service. On a sunny day you can sit on the sun deck and take in the views of the white cliffs of Dover as you come in to dock. Often, on a clear day you can look back and see the French coastline at the same time. It is a lovely way to cross the channel if you can spare the extra hour of time needed, compared to the tunnel.

Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:20 PM
Inky

But then you have to find your way from Calais to Paris.

Jun 22nd, 2002, 01:46 PM
Maggie

Or Paris to Calais?

Jun 23rd, 2002, 09:59 AM
BabyJane

It's perfectly possible to buy a train ticket to Paris with a sea crossing included. You take the train to the port, get off the train, walk a short distance, then get on the ferry. When you dock in France, the train is waiting to take you to Paris. Hope you're a good sailor because the Channel can be rough!

Jun 24th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Ben Haines

On 16 June I am afraid the service declined, and on all journeys but one you must change also at Boulogne. The exception is particularly pleasant if you vary a little on the standard times. Paris Nord 0958, Sundays excepted, TGV, Calais 1140 to 1230, SeaFrance ship, with a fine lunch in a restaurant with a view of the white cliffs, Dover 1300 to 1406, Faversham cross platform change 1435 to 1438, London Victoria 1548.
There are free busses between ttrain and port at both ports.

Ben Haines, in Riga

Jun 28th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Randy Malpaso

Imagine the scene. Lovely day in riga, tourists everywhere. A regular fodors drone tells his wife/partner/boyfriend that he cant visit the 13th century church, instead he's visiting an internet cafe armed with his thomas cook book of paris boat times.

Jun 28th, 2002, 07:53 AM
nosuch

Tim,take the advice,don't do the channel crossing by boat.It may sound nice but most people do get seasick.I don't know why but the sea is so rough.I swore I would never do it again,it was dreadful,even the hovercraft.