Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Outtahere! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/outtahere-486828/)

fairfax Nov 19th, 2004 09:12 AM

Outtahere!

Given the current political situation in the USA, and the fact that my dear dog just died, and some other considerations, I am thinking of moving to England to work for a couple of years. There are clearly positions in my field (fundraising for charities), and my father is English by birth. Does anyone have any clues about how to start the process of moving? Do I need to get a job first, or get the permits first?

Thanks for your help!

tomboy Nov 19th, 2004 09:19 AM

Buy a one-way ticket!

m_kingdom2 Nov 19th, 2004 09:21 AM

Of course you don't need a job if you don't need to work, speak to British consulate/embassies. Where in England do you wish to work? I'm quite sure your father was British by birth.

atlcity Nov 19th, 2004 09:26 AM

BYE.

suze Nov 19th, 2004 09:32 AM

Generally speaking for Europe- If you are hired for a position, that company will provide your working legal documents. That is easier than obtaining them on your own.

I'll guess that the government website is the place to start to find out the different types of permits allowing you to stay in the UK longer than as a tourist visit for pleasure.

fairfax Nov 19th, 2004 09:32 AM

I do need to work, if only to keep my sanity. I've applied for a couple of postions in London, since that looks like where most of the upper level positions in fundraising are located.

I think what I meant about my father being English, was does that have any bearing on work permits? I know it does on the passport issue.

It's actually not just the political situation, it's the fact that a bunch of other things are aligning so that I can realistically think about doing this move.

jor Nov 19th, 2004 09:42 AM

I worked legally in London after receiving a work permit before I left the US. I was then able to apply for any job in the UK. I ended up working at a restaurant with all the proper paper work and no problems.

HogtownJim Nov 19th, 2004 09:43 AM

The Foriegn and Commonwealth Office administers visas.

Check out http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1006977149953

flanneruk Nov 19th, 2004 09:48 AM

What permits?

If your father is British, the likelihood is that you are able to claim British nationality. In which case, you just get your passport, wave it at the Heathrow passport officer and do what you want to do. When you've found a job, your employer will explain the trivial bureaucracy around registering for tax and national insurance: your local doctor's receptionist will explain about medical registration. Otherwise, what permitting wouod you expect there to be?

Moving to the UK would then be about as complicated as moving to another US city. You might go via the IND website (http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home.html), or you might phone your nearest British consulate. But be aware that nothing in British citizenship law is necessarily what you might expect.

If you turn out not to be British, or don't want to claim British citizenship,it gets a lot messier. If you qualify for the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme, you wait the decade or two it takes the system to process your application, then turn up. If you don't, then ultimately you have to find a potential employer to sponsor you before you settle here.

That might be tricky.

Infotrack Nov 19th, 2004 10:29 AM

And if Britain doesn't work out, try France.

--Marv

Ryan Nov 19th, 2004 10:37 AM

While your father may be English by birth, I think you need to check with the nearest UK Consulate office for your status and the required documentation.

My wife is Irish. But my children still needed to file the proper documentation with the Irish Consulate in NY in order to be granted passports and citizenship by the Irish government.

I would make sure you have your documents in order before seeking a job as laws vary from country to country about their ability to offer employment to non-residents.

Cassandra Nov 19th, 2004 10:38 AM

So sorry about your dear dog. It's an enormous grief, I know from experience. At least Engalnd is a very dog-firendly place. And part of me agrees re: wanting to leave but the nasties here remind me that maybe we need people like you to stay and deal with them. They do wear one out, though.

If you get the job first, the rest will be much easier -- big corps. tend to have relo advisers who know the ropes. Suggestion -- although I don't know your field: contact Brit. companies with US offices or affiliates (e.g., Glaxo). If you land a job there, you might be able to come back later with continuity in employment.

FainaAgain Nov 19th, 2004 10:46 AM

And if you encounter similar problems in England, which country is next on your list, I wonder.

ira Nov 19th, 2004 10:49 AM

Dear ff,

Have you considered asking the local British Consulate or the British Embassy?

P_M Nov 19th, 2004 11:04 AM

1. I am very sorry about your dog, I know how hard that is.

2. I don't blame you for wanting to live in England for a couple of years. I would love to do the same just to really experience life in the UK. Also it would be great to be able to take off to Paris, Spain, etc. for the weekend.

BUT

3. Every country has it's problems, and you cannot run from those. If you want to make a difference, it's better to stay here and help change things. While the UK might not have the exact same issues we have, there will still be something you don't like. I'm not saying one country is any better than the other, but running away from America's problems is not the way to solve them.

BTilke Nov 19th, 2004 11:17 AM

Just because one's father is British by birth doesn't automatically entitle one to a British passport. Maybe yes, maybe no, there are a lot of rules. My husband's mother is British, but had he been born in the U.S., he wouldn't have automatically been eligible for a British passport. Fortunately, he was born in Canada, so he *does* have the Right of Abode, giving him the unrestricted right to work and live in the UK. And as his wife, I too have that right--I've got a big Settlement Wife visa in my U.S. passport. But even though the British consulate in NYC told me I was "automatically" entitled to that visa, there was still a LOT of paperwork and palaver. Also expenses.
At any rate, yes, you need the residency or work permits before moving. I work in a high demand field with a high demand (medical writing) and get calls and emails from headhunters regularly, even they say they wouldn't go through the work permit process for me.
Don't forget that salaries in the UK are lower than salaries for similar jobs in the U.S. yet the cost of living can be higher.
Good luck!

Renee Nov 19th, 2004 11:22 AM

FF,

Good for you for taking the high road and ignoring the naysayers. Here's wishing you much luck....hopefully you will consider coming back and I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.

mvor Nov 19th, 2004 11:27 AM

If you're not already familiar with it, this site will allow you to search the Register of Charities for England and Wales:

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk.../howsearch.asp

The extracts show contact information, trustees, budgets, etc. which should be helpful for your job search.

If you're a CFRE, you might contact them to get advice about making a career in England. Lastly, try posting your question on idealist.org; I'm sure you'll get good first-hand advice.

Good luck.

hansikday Nov 19th, 2004 11:55 AM

I wish you well and hope your exit is quick and painless.

Recommend you get a good dental exam and correct any serious problems before you go as well as taking care of any elective minor operations.

soccr Nov 19th, 2004 12:10 PM

Waiting time in US for elective surgery is approaching 4 months in some places. Dental work is at least paid for in UK as needed -- or were you just making the same tired joke about bad British teeth? Have to wonder whether the naysayers here believe you shouldn't come back if you leave because only those who love the government should stay, or whether you should come back but grovel and vote their way thereafter.

Any international sections/classifieds in the Chronicle of Philanthropy?