Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oh How the Mighty Have Fallen... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oh-how-the-mighty-have-fallen-425263/)

DiAblo Apr 23rd, 2004 09:32 AM

Oh How the Mighty Have Fallen...

According to the Baltimore Sun, and referenced in The Week, April 23rd 2004 edition, France eats more McDonald's food than any other country in Europe. The nation has 1,008 of the fast-food giant's franchises.

Hmmm. Could this signify the end of snobbery as we know it?

ira Apr 23rd, 2004 09:34 AM

>...France eats more McDonald's food than any other country in Europe.<

Ahhh, but it's French McDonald's.

BTilke Apr 23rd, 2004 09:40 AM

I just read a long article about France and McDonald's, possibly in this week's Economist. A few points:
80% of the food sold in French McDo's comes from France.
They sell far more salads and lower fat meals than McDonald's in other countries (particularly the U.S.).
Many French McDonald's offer more "cafe style" seating, etc., not the typical U.S. McDonald's setup.

And, FYI, France may eat more McDonald's than any other country in Europe, but the Austrian McDonald's are the most profitable per capita.

Singletail Apr 23rd, 2004 09:48 AM

"Snobbery as we know it" will only be over when a bunch of people who regularly post on this board finally admit that they have, in fact, eaten at this establishment.

jor Apr 23rd, 2004 09:49 AM

I confess. I ate at a McDonalds in the heart of Paris. I was young, dumb, and hungry. Now I would not be caught dead in one.

Marilyn Apr 23rd, 2004 10:03 AM

I swear by all that is sacred I have NEVER eaten in any McDonald's outside the US except for a chocolate milkshake in Guatemala City in 1980.

I don't actually think I've ever eaten in a McDonald's in the US either. I'm not a snob -- I just don't like or consume "fast food" in general.

Marilyn's Believe It Or Not!!

Wags Apr 23rd, 2004 10:26 AM

The only place to get a decent size cup of coffee in the afternoon or evening is at McDonald's. Been there, done that.

elaine Apr 23rd, 2004 10:29 AM

I also swear that I've never eaten in a McD outside of the US, and my last time in the US was 4-5 years ago. I'm not being moralistic, I'd just rather eat better food.

I wouldn't order "French" food at a US amusement or theme park either, preferring to play to the local culinary strengths, assuming there are any.

NYCFoodSnob Apr 23rd, 2004 10:35 AM

I've always loved McDonald's french fries. I'm a huge fan of tasty fried foods. I'm healthy and I believe in eating everything in moderation. Every year or two I get a craving for a good, old-fashioned Big Mac. And, oh, how I cherish satisfying that craving. My craving for a Whopper occurs twice as often because I prefer the taste of grilled beef over fried.

Tokyo is my only experience with McDonald's outside of the U.S. My friends at Sony suggested I try the various offerings, flavored with soy and teriyaki sauce. I didn't fall in love but I did witness a college-age Japanese girl verbally chastise an older group of women for smoking cigarettes while she was eating. It was a fabulous display of young versus old and I watched with astonishment (and delight).

artlover Apr 23rd, 2004 10:35 AM

I'm with Marilyn--I don't eat at McDonald's anywhere in the world. However, I do eat fast food--apples, carrots, bananas, snap peas, etc. What could be faster than these?

ThinGorjus Apr 23rd, 2004 10:37 AM

I have eaten at McDonald's in Hong Kong, Lisbon, Rome, London, Avignon, Madrid, Vienna, and Munich. I would crawl over shards of glass for an Oreo cookie McFlurry. You can keep the hamburgers and fries (too salty). You have to admit that in Europe, McDonald's usually has the cleanest toilet facilites.

Ziana Apr 23rd, 2004 10:55 AM

not in Paris, though...

grilledsardine Apr 23rd, 2004 10:59 AM

i've eaten at mcdonald's outside the u.s. so what?

sera Apr 23rd, 2004 11:02 AM

I got an ice cream from the MacDonald's near the Spanish Steps and used their bathroom once. Am I bad?

BTilke Apr 23rd, 2004 11:10 AM

hey, what happened to the thread about the bags made in Port Angeles, WA, with the derogatory French label? It was there and now poof! Gone with the Binh.

CafeBatavia Apr 23rd, 2004 11:15 AM

You mean the french labels that said: Vote for John "Flip-Flop" Kerry and make the French and UN happy?

katvg Apr 23rd, 2004 11:21 AM

i like the fries the the italian McD's better even than the US ones -- olive oil is the key there! and the overseas McD value meals are a better size for me (not as huge as the US). sometimes you just crave some fat & salt...

rex Apr 23rd, 2004 11:21 AM

Well, I don't think I am a snob, foodie, Francophile or any other variety (though I am pedantic, petulant and/or pompous at times) - - but sure I'll confess. A banana batida (milkshake) was excellent to start me off on my drive up into the Pyrenees foothills from Barcelona over ten years ago (why on earth would I remember that?) - - and on various trips, I have eaten at the McD's in Innsbruck, in the Galleria in Milan, at KFC while driving out of Prague, headed for Poland (I was so tempted to try the drivethrough, but pointing at the counter was a LOT easier!) - - but I guess, never in France. Been to Quick though, somewhere in the south of France with the whole gaggle of 11 teenagers, and maybe once, a cup of coffee on the Champs Elysees.

Best wishes,

Rex

Ziana Apr 23rd, 2004 11:26 AM

It is actually so disquisting to read that after all banishing and humiliation of people who honestly simply said that they eat at McD in Europe - everyone has some DoubleMac in a closet.

So, we just like to spit in people face, don't we?

pilgrim Apr 23rd, 2004 11:35 AM

The McDonald's in Bergamo has very good capri salads--mozzarella,cherry tomatoes, olive oil vinaigrette, and nice bread sticks. For a traveler on a budget, it was a good choice( about 3 euros).