Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Off to France at last (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/off-to-france-at-last-472423/)

Underhill Sep 6th, 2004 11:21 AM

Off to France at last

We're off to France on Wednesday, perhaps passing CigaleChanta in the air--unfortunately we'll miss her in Provence. I'll post reports on Normandy, Burgundy, Provence, and Paris when we return.

Matrexx Sep 6th, 2004 11:23 AM

Have a great time! How long are you going for?

dln Sep 6th, 2004 11:28 AM

Have a good trip, Underhill! I look forward to reading your report after you get back (especially the Paris and Provence parts)!

Underhill Sep 6th, 2004 12:01 PM

Just a little under 3 weeks,

ira Sep 6th, 2004 12:30 PM

Have a great trip, underhill

damfods Sep 6th, 2004 01:13 PM

i can't wait to hear about paris!!! We are going at the end of Sept and would love some great suggestions on a nice place to eat wonderful typical paris cuisine. Also on what areas shouldn't be missed since we will only be there for 3 days.
Have FUN!!!

Underhill Sep 6th, 2004 01:59 PM

I can already tell you where to have a traditional French meal of high quality: Au Petit Marguery, in the 13th. We're hoping that, with the advent of fall, the fabulous wood mushrooms sautéed in olive oil with garlic and parsley will be on the menu!

StCirq Sep 6th, 2004 02:36 PM

Bonne route, Underhill! I'll be passing you in the air on your return! Look forward to your trip reports.

bigboy72712 Sep 6th, 2004 03:41 PM

We are leaving Monday the 13th for Amsterdam, driving to Paris on the 15th.
The days seem to be taking longer, This is our first visit to Europe, 7 more days left to go, life is good.

Laidback Sep 6th, 2004 03:51 PM

Bon Voyage Jean,

I look forward as always to your well written reports.

Marianna Sep 6th, 2004 03:53 PM

Underhill, have a wonderful time in France! We were delighted with the Madison.

Damfods, St. Cirq, and Bigboy, enjoy wherever your travels take you. Let us know all about your trips when you return.

Keren Sep 7th, 2004 01:05 AM

At last for me too!
I've been waiting for almost a year now and finally, in 9 days I'll be going to Paris for 12 days. I still can't believe it's actually happening.
I wish us all great trips.

bigboy72712 Sep 7th, 2004 03:46 AM

We will be in Paris in 8 days from today
and will be there for 4 nights. We wish
all who are going this month great vacations.

SuzieC Sep 7th, 2004 04:57 AM

Have the best of times; sunshine; all the restaurants' open from reentre...etc.

As for those of us unable to go in September...aaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhh!

flygirl Sep 7th, 2004 05:09 AM

Underhill, have a fabulous time! bon voyage!

llamalady Sep 7th, 2004 06:37 AM

......we're off on our Old Folks on Tour
trip today.......a month in the SW of
France, Catalonia and Basque Country.

Always 'fun' going with DH who takes
absolutely no part in the planning but
is looking forward to his time in that
famous pink city Lootouse ;) Hopefully
just a Mr. Malaprop moment!

All those on the go - Have a safe/great
trip; all those at home - keep Fodoring!

Globetrotter Sep 7th, 2004 06:51 AM

Just returned from 4 day trip to Paris. EVERYBODY was very friendly. The city is Beautiful. The weather was fabulous. August proved to be a great time to visit. Not too crowded but lots of people. Don't speak french and I read Paris is rude to those that don't here. Couldn't be farther from the truth. I spoke with probably 150 people there and the ONE that didn't speak some english would not let me go until he found someone that did. This is a MUST do city. Not ONE rude person. LOTS to see and do. Fabulous inexpensive subway.

SuzieC Sep 7th, 2004 07:03 AM

ahhhh Globetrotter! 4 days ?
Just enough to get into your blood...
and in a few days, you'll start thinking of your next trip!

I am so glad to read your enthusiasm

craisin Sep 7th, 2004 07:20 AM

I'm leaving next week for Paris, too. It's gonna be one loooooongggg workweek!!!

baglady Sep 13th, 2004 07:42 PM

And I'm leaving Sept 22 for Paris, Nice, and the Cinque Terre. Can hardly wait. This will be my 5th trip to Paris, but 1st for the other places. Thanks to everyone for your helpful recommendations and advice.