Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   m_kingdom2 is back! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/m_kingdom2-is-back-742943/)

m_kingdom2 Oct 15th, 2007 11:08 AM

m_kingdom2 is back!

Hello all!

I must say that I have missed the discussions and debates that make this site such a wonderful resource for travellers. I recently(ish) accepted a new post and ever since have been exceptionally busy, needing to dedicate twenty five hours a day to work! Things are now a little calmer so I can devote time to one of my favourite respites, this forum.

I did, however, manage to squeeze in a very brief city break to Budapest in August, but sadly didn't have the time to share any of the details! Travel plans for the rest of the year include a long weekend to the seaside - Torquay in Devon which I haven't been to since I was a child, and I am hoping for a little faded grandeur at the Imperial. Over Christmas I have booked a stay at the newly refurbished Lygon Arms in Broadway, Worcs. - hopefully it won't disappoint.

I am already looking to plan a long summer trip in August to really unwind after a workaholic year! In pencil I have booked the Grand Vesuvio in Naples for nine nights with the intention of exploring a city that I have always overlooked when in that part of the world, and also the usual days spent on Capri, and exploring the beautiful coastal towns such as Amalfi and Positano. I would be most grateful if you could provide me with some recommendations of a cultural, culinary, miscellaneous for place in Naples.

After Naples I am going to spend four nights in Rome, a city I have not been to for over a decade. I would be delighted if you could suggest some "off of the beaten track" recommendations. Also, I am unsure of my hotel choice - I've booked Hotel Majestic on the Via Veneto as its position seems perfect, however, I would like to hear your experiences of it and some other possible properties in the deluxe bracket.

Am very much looking forward to conversing with all of you once more.

MK2

MarthaT Oct 15th, 2007 11:13 AM

MK2, can't help with the deluxe hotels but welcome back. There have been a few fashions discussions that needed your input.!

cigalechanta Oct 15th, 2007 11:13 AM

You mean that's not you at TTG?

TexasAggie Oct 15th, 2007 11:16 AM

Welcome back MK2! Sounds like you had quite the hellish year.

We have explored Naples and the Amalfi Coast over the years in May, June, and August. May and June were lovely, however the smog/haze was so bad in August that we only had one day of beautiful views. It was also very hot in August in Naples, Pompei, and Herculaneum. Capri and Positano seemed cooler because of the sea breeze. The heat is difficult in Rome too in August, but you will find the city much less crowded than in June and July as many locals will be on vacation.

Happy Planning

m_kingdom2 Oct 15th, 2007 11:26 AM

TexasAggie: I wish I could travel there in May or September, but August will be the quietest month for me workwise, so August it must be! I would love to hear some of your choicest suggestions for my trip!

Weekender Oct 15th, 2007 12:05 PM

Welcome back! You have been greatly missed!

cigalechanta Oct 15th, 2007 12:27 PM

I'm confusd! We had m_kingdom, m_kingdomNY, so we have three?

m_kingdom2 Oct 15th, 2007 12:51 PM

m_kingdomNY? That is news to me, is/was that a doppleganger?

milley_5 Oct 15th, 2007 01:12 PM

Nice to see back amongst us m_kingdom.

After your recently very busy time I think you need to go back to the Grande Bretagne and spoil yourself.

It may interest you, if someone hasn't already let you know, that you were quoted in the recently published Fodor's Italy 2008. Scroll down to the book on the following page and your name is there.

http://www.fodors.com/wire/archives/002688.cfm

kind regards,

milley

Carrybean Oct 15th, 2007 02:13 PM

Glad to see you back here again! :)

bardo1 Oct 15th, 2007 05:46 PM

MK2,

Welcome back.

As for Rome, why slum it? - here's something more to your discerning standards:

Tucked away in the side street near the Piazza Navona is one of Rome's more interesting four-stars hotels.

<b>The Rapha&euml;l</b>
Largo Febo 2, (39-06) 682831, www.raphaelhotel.com.

Richard Meier recently designed the ultramodern third floor, and the lobby contains original ceramics by Picasso. The rooftop terrace provides a direct line of sight to the Vatican.

A &quot;normal&quot; single is &euro;400/night

A single on the Richard Meier floor is &euro;550/night

Or, splurge on a suite for &euro;1200/night.

August will be hot!

audere_est_facere Oct 16th, 2007 04:58 AM

wahay! The old poodlefaker's back!

I was worried when you stopped posting at the same time that Nigel Dempster died.

Now let's have some top quality poodlefaking!

Greenhouse Oct 16th, 2007 06:14 AM

Accepted a &quot;new post&quot; Miles?

Does this mean you've completed your studies at University?

Anyway, nine nights in Naples would be about four too many for me. I'd have to have at least 2-3 on Capri or at least somewhere else such as Positano or Amalfi.

Of course, it's your holiday - happy planning.

yk Nov 6th, 2007 04:58 AM

Hi m_k2-

Didn't see this thread until today. Glad you're back cuz we miss you (at least I do). Happy travel planning!

Dukey Nov 6th, 2007 05:25 AM

The Lygon Arms has been &quot;refurbished?&quot; Did they level the floors or raise the height of the doorways? I hope the wisteria wasn't removed from the exterior.

I'll be interested in hearing your experience about that.

Welcome back.

markrosy Nov 6th, 2007 05:34 AM

I would check tripadvisor on the Lygon - we gave it a very wide berth after looking at the reports and after having spoken to friends who live in the area.

RonZ Nov 6th, 2007 05:51 AM

This is indeed good news for those of us who follow this board!

crefloors Nov 6th, 2007 08:00 AM

Whoo hoo!!!!! Welcome back. I will NOW get PROPER fashion advice. Glad you're busy and well. Happy travels.

StCirq Nov 6th, 2007 08:07 AM

Well, I'll be banded! Bienvenue!

Dukey Nov 6th, 2007 08:30 AM

I wonder if the reverberations have reached southwest Florida yet.