Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Loop of Switzerland in Spring (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/loop-of-switzerland-in-spring-1668336/)

gocardsjoeh Jun 16th, 2019 11:14 AM

Loop of Switzerland in Spring

Hello,

We are planning the following self-driving loop in the Spring/Summer of 2020. How early in the season would you recommend it? We generally like to avoid crowds if possible but do not want to go so early as for bad weather either. Thank you for your help!

DAY 1

Arrive Zurich

DAY 2

Zurich – Berne – Lake Geneva (Montreux)

DAY 3

Lake Geneva (Montreux) – Chillon – Zermatt (2 Nights)

DAY 4

Zermatt Free Day

DAY 5

Zermatt – Baveno Free Time

DAY 6

Baveno – St. Moritz

DAY 7

St. Moritz – Lucerne Orientation and Free Time (2 Nights)

DAY 8

Brienz and Interlaken Excursion

DAY 9

Lucerne – Depart Zurich

Melnq8 Jun 16th, 2019 01:03 PM

We too avoid crowds at all costs and have made trips to Switzerland in March, April, May, June, November and December (and the busy summer months, which is how we learned to visit off season).

If you can wait until the second or third week of May you'll increase your chances of good weather. We visited in late May a few years ago and were surprised by a heat wave - we're not fans of heat so it was an unwelcome event, but fortunately didn't last long.

The flowers were stunning, there were very few tourists and it was perfect for us. Having said that, we didn't visit the places you've mentioned on that trip and we've been to Switzerland many times, so we didn't have our hearts set on any seasonal mountain excursions.

Many hotels, gondolas, restaurants, etc close until late May in alpine villages.

Zermatt is a notable exception, you should have no issues with accommodation, but do check the operating schedules of any mountain excursions you might like to do so you're not disappointed.

Many apartments that would normally rent for a minimum of a week in the high season can be had for just a few nights and at attractive prices, so do take a look at that option as well.

Having said that, I think your itinerary is a bit rushed.

kja Jun 16th, 2019 04:28 PM

I agree with Melnq8 that your itinerary is a bit rushed, though of course it depends on what you want to see and experience.

I'm curious about why you are planning to drive. The public transportation in Switzerland is excellent, and the scenery -- which a safe driver will not be able to fully appreciate -- is stunning.

Also, are you committed to St. Moritz? I found the area gorgeous, but St. Moritz itself a rather depressingly aged shadow of what it must once have been.

gocardsjoeh Jun 17th, 2019 05:27 AM

Many thanks for your reply. So it appears trains will be a better option for us. And we can go around June 1 so that is not an issue. Can you suggest other sites we may want to add to our schedule or in lieu of our current plans based on your visits? Thank you!

gocardsjoeh Jun 17th, 2019 05:28 AM

No we are not committed to St. Moritz at all. Can you suggest additions or changes to our plan based on your experience? Thank you!

Melnq8 Jun 17th, 2019 06:02 AM

gocardsjoeh - I have several detailed trip reports here on Fodor's that might give you some ideas. These are a few of the most recent, the second is from our most recent summer trip.

They don't cover the specific areas on your wish list, however I do have several older trip reports here on Fodor's that cover Zermatt and the BO if you're inclined to scroll through my trip report list.

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...rland-1663446/

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...-cows-1461081/

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...again-1648207/

neckervd Jun 17th, 2019 06:19 AM

Weather is alway unpredictable in the Alps, there are sunny and rainy days all the year round. There are never crowds at Montreux, except during festivals. Baveno will be crowded during summer weekends and during the whole month of August. At Zermatt and St. Moritz, you will find a lot of people in the villages and in mountain railways between mid June and mid October, but not along hiking trails.Logistically, it might be easier to drive from Zurich via Lucerne - Brienz to Interlaken and then either via Bern or via Jaunpass - Bulle or via Gstaad - Aigle to Montreux. You could then drive directly from St. Moritz to Zurich (motorway from Thusis up to Zurich airport).

kja Jun 17th, 2019 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by gocardsjoeh (Post 16937949)
No we are not committed to St. Moritz at all. Can you suggest additions or changes to our plan based on your experience?

That would depend on what you hope to see and experience! If you keep your current rough itinerary (which, as already noted, seems a bit rushed to me), I'd look at Pontresina as an alternative to St. Moritz. But you might want to add time to that area, or add time to one or more of the other places you plan to visit.

FWIW, I found the Michelin Green Guide particularly useful.

MyriamC Jun 26th, 2019 12:45 AM

We just got back from a three week road trip in Switzerland (and the Italian Lakes), starting June 5th. Luzern was busy but the small towns like Interlaken, Weggis, Brienz, Thun, Lauterbrunnen, Kandersteg, Andermatt, Appenzell, Stein am Rhein, ... were extremely quiet. In the high Alps (Saas-Fee) many shops and restaurants were still closed and won't open until next weekend. Instead of St. Moritz (having been in Graubünden a few times before) we chose to stay in Livigno and Bormio, Italy. My husband wanted to 'do' the Stelvio pass on his bike but unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate and the pass was still partly closed. Many of the mountain passes were still closed, by the way. We have only been able to drive four passes out of the seven that were on our route.
Lago Maggiore was pretty busy already. As was Lago di Garda (will never go again!).

PalenQ Jun 26th, 2019 11:32 AM

Yes, Swiss rains are great and go where cars are banned- forinfo check www.sbb.ch - Swiss railways'site; www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetrvel.com and www.pricksteves.com.

MyriamC Jun 26th, 2019 11:59 PM

And with a car you can go where trains can't come. To each his own. I will never give up on roadtrips. Love to drive!

PalenQ Jun 27th, 2019 08:36 AM

Yes Switzerland is lovely to motor around - especially liked driving Alpine passes like the Simplon Pass but for average traveler first time and heading mainly to Alpine areas yes then trains may be better as cars are banned from much of them.

neckervd Jun 27th, 2019 12:27 PM

The OP didin't come back since 10 days.
May be he changed his plans.

MyriamC Jun 27th, 2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16943112)
Yes Switzerland is lovely to motor around - especially liked driving Alpine passes like the Simplon Pass but for average traveler first time and heading mainly to Alpine areas yes then trains may be better as cars are banned from much of them.

We drove the Simplon, the Gotthard, the Flüela, the Umbrail and part of the Stelvio. Stunning views up there as well as along the road! Both my husband and I drive, so we both can enjoy the view. One going up, one going down.

PalenQ Jun 27th, 2019 01:47 PM

For adventure driving drive those passes and their sharp hairpin turns - one of most exciting drives of my life.

neckervd Jun 30th, 2019 06:53 AM

Only the Stelvio and the OLD Gotthard Pass road (Tremola) have real hairpins

Mimar Jun 30th, 2019 07:07 AM

In Switzerland there are towns closed to cars, especially deeper into the Alps. But you can visit via boats, buses and/or trains.

PalenQ Jun 30th, 2019 09:12 AM

Only the Stelvio and the OLD Gotthard Pass road (Tremola) have real hairpins>

Yes I drove the Gotthard but recall hairpin turns Lugano-St Moritz bus too

neckervd Jun 30th, 2019 11:47 AM

I replied to " We drove the Simplon, the Gotthard, the Flüela, the Umbrail and part of the Stelvio".
If you have a look at ALL Swiss roads, there are tons of hairpin itineraries, like Maloja (just mentioned by yourself), Fuorn, Bernina, Alvra, Julier, Monte Spluga, San Bernardino (old road), Indemini, Cimalmotto, Grimsel, Furka, Susten, Sierre - St. Luc, Vionnaz - Torgon and others...

MyriamC Jul 1st, 2019 12:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by neckervd (Post 16944927)
Only the Stelvio and the OLD Gotthard Pass road (Tremola) have real hairpins

And we loved those!

Attachment 2653

Attachment 2654