Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Just back from Mykonos/Santorini (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/just-back-from-mykonos-santorini-90527/)

Kevin Oct 18th, 2000 05:22 PM

Just back from Mykonos/Santorini

Just got back yesterday from my honeymoon. I loved Greece!!!! It is beautiful! Stayed 1 night in Athens (Grande Bretagne), 4 nights in Mykonos (Santa Marina), 4 nights in Santorini (Katikies), and 4 nights in Rome (Hotel Sofitel). If anyone wants to hear my recent take on the islands, feel free to ask, as I also used this forum before my trip!!!

Diane Oct 18th, 2000 09:11 PM

Kevin, I know that Santa Marina is part of Sheraton's Luxury Collection. What can you tell us about the hotel?

Paige Oct 18th, 2000 11:23 PM

Did you fly to the islands or take ferries? How did that go? I was there recently and the ferries were a mess! Is Katikies in Ia? What did you do in Santorini?

kevin Oct 23rd, 2000 04:45 PM

Hello Diane, <BR> <BR>Santa Marina is a wonderful hotel. It has a private beach (pebble), delicious buffet breakfast, great swimming pool. It is walking distance from Ornos Bay and is about a 10 minute bus ride from Mykonos city. (It also has a helicopter pad for high rollers who just hate planes and ferries.) Our apartment had a balcony with a view overlooking the water. We found it very convenient, as we could escape the crowds at will, and still be able to get to Mykonos city each night for dinner/shopping. One day, we walked a few minutes from our hotel to Ornos, where we caught the water taxi to explore other beaches on the island. I can't speak about other hotels on Mykonos, but a taxi driver told me that if Santa Marina is not the best, it is definitely in the top 3. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Vickie Oct 23rd, 2000 05:02 PM

I too am interested in knowing how you got from place to place. Would also like to know about your hotel and what you did in Santorini. <BR>Was October a good time to visit these places? I did a short cruise of some of the Greek Islands a few years ago in the middle of November and it was really too late in the season-in port only in the dark in Mykonos (short days) and stormy seas. I'm very interested in any additional information you can provide about these islands.

Kevin Oct 23rd, 2000 05:10 PM

Hi Paige, <BR> <BR>I flew from Athens to Mykonos and then to Santorini. I had no problems with Olimpic Airlines. (The flights were simple and quite short.) I didn't use the ferries because I thought I'd lose precious vacation time in transit.) <BR> <BR>Katikies is in Oia and is simply incredible. Very romantic, STUNNING swimming pools and suites overlooking the caldera, and walking distance to the charming restaurants/shops of Oia. <BR> <BR>My wife and I explored Oia (which we found to be the most charming part of a very beautiful island), took a half-day boat excursion to the volcano, hotsprings and Thirasia, visited Perissa and Kamari (both black pebble/sand beaches), visited Red beach, and spent a day in Fira. We tried visiting the ruins at Akrotiri, but it was closed as it was on a Monday. <BR> <BR>Kevin <BR> <BR>

kevin Oct 23rd, 2000 05:36 PM

Hi Vickie, <BR> <BR>I too was worried that October might be a bit cold for Greece. Luckily, we had great weather. It was around 75-80F during the days and cooled to the mid 60s at night. (We were there the first 2 weeks of October.) I went swimming every day, and even tried a little snorkling. I wore shorts and a tee shirt every day. At night, however, you needed a light sweater. <BR> <BR>I didn't think the days were that short, as sunset occurred around 7pm. <BR> <BR>As for transporation, I used the bus, rented a car, and happily walked around Oia. <BR> <BR>As I mentioned above, my wife and I stayed at Katikies. It was the highlight of our honeymoon. I can't recommend it enough. Breathtaking views of the caldera, sensational pools, terrific service, bathroom with jacuzzi, tv, sony cd player, and private decks. When we arrived, we were greeted with champaigne. <BR> <BR>Although we had great weather, I think I will try visiting Greece in September next time, just to be on the safe side.