Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Itinerary-7 day trip possibilities (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/itinerary-7-day-trip-possibilities-813831/)

NativeNewYorker Nov 10th, 2009 06:54 AM

Itinerary-7 day trip possibilities

Considering a package that includes 1 night Dubin, 3 nights Galway (including side trip to Aran Islands), 3 nights Killarney (can include Ring of Kerry or Kingle Peninsula). Comments? We love small quaint cities, beautiful countryside, having a pint with locals, walking but not super strenuous walking.....and moving about a beautiful country @ a not frenetic pace.

bratsandbeer Nov 10th, 2009 07:22 AM

I would vote for the Dingle Pennisula. We drove the Ring of Kerry and I didn't think it was that special. Have read that Dingle Pennisula is better and if I go back, I would go to the Dingle P.

NEDSIRELAND Nov 11th, 2009 02:02 AM

A lot depends on the time of year you will be visiting: N.Atlantic storm tracks batter Ireland's Southwest in late fall and winter. North of the Shannon estuary might be better weather-wise; so maybe you should have an inclement weather 'Plan B' to fall back on. Mine might include Ennis (Co. Clare) as a base.

Is the 'package' you are considering an 'all or nothing' thing?

This is from another Native New Yorker currently residing in Philadelphia (Cheesesteaks, Scrapple, Cream Cheese, etc.)

GreenDragon Nov 11th, 2009 12:18 PM

If this is a package (i.e., hotels/B&Bs are already set, they transport you), I wouldn't count on mingling with the locals much. It is a decent beginners trip to Ireland, but with only a week, I usually recommend concentrating on one area, not crossing the country. Charming towns (quaint has a connotation of seedy over there) and beautiful countryside tends to be more of a western Ireland standard, and if you have the option, I'd fly in and out of Shannon, skipping Dublin entirely this trip. Dublin is a capital city, and thus not nearly as charming as the villages :)

If you were to do a western-only trip, I'd stay 3 nights in Ennis, 3 nights in Kenmare, and then a night in Bunratty to fly back out of Shannon the next day. That would allow you to explore the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, a day trip to the Aran Islands, and then down to Dingle, the Ring of Kerry and Killarney National Park. Killarney itself is a very touristy town - Kenmare is nearby and much more down-to-earth, IMHO. Has great food, too!

janisj Nov 11th, 2009 03:15 PM

I really think you need to define 'package'. Is this a guided tour? Or some sort of car/B&B voucher deal? Or??

If it is a guided tour - that is a pretty good itinerary since it is much slower than many group tours. And you can cover more territory since the coach driver transports everyone. I personally wouldn't do a guided tour in Ireland - but if you must, this one isn't bad.

On the other hand, if it is a pre-booked drive/B&B voucher trip -- I don't see the point. Vouchers seldom if ever save €/$ and they don't guarantee rooms -- only that IF a room is available, it is paid for. There are hundreds of nice B&Bs/hotels that do not accept vouchers.