Itinerary-7 day trip possibilities

Nov 10th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary-7 day trip possibilities

Considering a package that includes 1 night Dubin, 3 nights Galway (including side trip to Aran Islands), 3 nights Killarney (can include Ring of Kerry or Kingle Peninsula). Comments? We love small quaint cities, beautiful countryside, having a pint with locals, walking but not super strenuous walking.....and moving about a beautiful country @ a not frenetic pace.
Nov 10th, 2009, 07:22 AM

I would vote for the Dingle Pennisula. We drove the Ring of Kerry and I didn't think it was that special. Have read that Dingle Pennisula is better and if I go back, I would go to the Dingle P.
Nov 11th, 2009, 02:02 AM

A lot depends on the time of year you will be visiting: N.Atlantic storm tracks batter Ireland's Southwest in late fall and winter. North of the Shannon estuary might be better weather-wise; so maybe you should have an inclement weather 'Plan B' to fall back on. Mine might include Ennis (Co. Clare) as a base.

Is the 'package' you are considering an 'all or nothing' thing?

This is from another Native New Yorker currently residing in Philadelphia (Cheesesteaks, Scrapple, Cream Cheese, etc.)
Nov 11th, 2009, 12:18 PM

If this is a package (i.e., hotels/B&Bs are already set, they transport you), I wouldn't count on mingling with the locals much. It is a decent beginners trip to Ireland, but with only a week, I usually recommend concentrating on one area, not crossing the country. Charming towns (quaint has a connotation of seedy over there) and beautiful countryside tends to be more of a western Ireland standard, and if you have the option, I'd fly in and out of Shannon, skipping Dublin entirely this trip. Dublin is a capital city, and thus not nearly as charming as the villages

If you were to do a western-only trip, I'd stay 3 nights in Ennis, 3 nights in Kenmare, and then a night in Bunratty to fly back out of Shannon the next day. That would allow you to explore the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, a day trip to the Aran Islands, and then down to Dingle, the Ring of Kerry and Killarney National Park. Killarney itself is a very touristy town - Kenmare is nearby and much more down-to-earth, IMHO. Has great food, too!
Nov 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM

I really think you need to define 'package'. Is this a guided tour? Or some sort of car/B&B voucher deal? Or??

If it is a guided tour - that is a pretty good itinerary since it is much slower than many group tours. And you can cover more territory since the coach driver transports everyone. I personally wouldn't do a guided tour in Ireland - but if you must, this one isn't bad.

On the other hand, if it is a pre-booked drive/B&B voucher trip -- I don't see the point. Vouchers seldom if ever save €/$ and they don't guarantee rooms -- only that IF a room is available, it is paid for. There are hundreds of nice B&Bs/hotels that do not accept vouchers.