Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ISIC card vs EU student ID (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/isic-card-vs-eu-student-id-879640/)

Hillary_Durkee Feb 26th, 2011 10:57 AM

ISIC card vs EU student ID

I've looked at other topics similar to this one but figured maybe things could have changed in the past few years. I'm going around Europe (mainly Italy, Greece, Czech Republic, the UK) in April-June. I'm currently studying abroad at UCC in Ireland. My question is this: Should I get an ISIC (or another student discount card) or do you think my UCC student ID will work fine? I'm likely to be going to a lot of museums/archaeological sites.

brotherleelove2004 Feb 26th, 2011 11:01 AM

If you know which museums/sites you plan to visit you might check their websites to see what sort of student ID they require for entry and/or discounts. You might need both.

brotherleelove2004 Feb 26th, 2011 11:03 AM

.............depending on which museum/site you visit.

PalenQ Feb 26th, 2011 11:15 AM

ISIC often appears on museum discounted admission fees as it is one of the few if only internationally recognized forms of student ID - thru multi-national agreements I believe - the cost is not that great and at least in the U.S. you do get some other benefits like limited insurance and perhaps help in some situations.

If you are a European resident as a student studying should be then your Irish school ID should also work.

That said in some countries like France and Holland being undr 26 is the magic age for discounts and student status means nothing. But in Italy I have noticed the ISIC card being specifically noted on admission fee charts at museums.

Check out what Let's Go Europe says about it IMO - the guidebook that is that even Irish booksellers should stock.

Chrisspm Feb 25th, 2015 10:38 AM

I have just been in Greece and the ISIC-Card was of no use, as it is generally not accepted. Museums would be free for students, but I had to pay. ISIC-Card was only a waste of money.

bvlenci Feb 25th, 2015 11:36 AM

This is an old topic, but as long as it's been resurrected, I'll add that the only places I know in Italy that will accept an ISIC card will equally accept a university photo ID.

Christina Feb 25th, 2015 11:44 AM

I'm not a student, so haven't checked, but in France, the main issue is your age, not whether you are or are not a student. IF you are a young student, then no problem. If you are a 50 year old student, I don't think that gives you discounts. I have seen only rare cases in the countries I travel where there are special discounts for "students", not just discounts by age. So you'd just need an ID showing your age usually.

I think some movie theaters in Paris do actually have a "student" discount, but museums and tourist sites don't.

Now the OP didn't ask about France or Spain which I know best, but I have been to CR a lot, and in Prague, some museums and sites (like the castle) do give discounts for a student, not by age (unless the age is less than 16, then you get in free). But they just want to see your university student ID, that's all.

I don't really comprehend why you'd need a special card, if you are a real university student, you have a student ID, don't you?