Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I saw Meryl Streep in Venice. What celebrities have you spotted in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-saw-meryl-streep-in-venice-what-celebrities-have-you-spotted-in-europe-109426/)

Celebrity Spotter Mar 2nd, 2001 09:17 AM

I saw Meryl Streep in Venice. What celebrities have you spotted in Europe?

Three years ago I could have sworn I saw Meryl Streep in Venice. I glanced back and she — or a remarkable facsimile — was gone. Who have you seen in Europe over the years, famous or infamous?

Sue Mar 2nd, 2001 01:18 PM

We saw George McGovern (does that qualify for a celebrity?) in the Goldener something in Innsbruck, and I actually got Jean-Paul Sartre's autograph in a restaurant (too naive/dumb at the time to figure out that it was probably Simone de Beauvoir seated beside him!). (Moments that make you blush in retrospect.)

StCirq Mar 2nd, 2001 01:42 PM

Was Raisa Gorbechov a celebrity? I saw her at the cathedral in Strasbourg.

Capo Mar 2nd, 2001 01:54 PM

As we were passing by the St.Germain-des-Pres church in Paris on our way to catch the Metro/RER to the airport back in 1994, my girlfriend & I passed by legendary beat poet Allen Ginsberg (this was, as I recall, just a year or so before he died.)

Pierrette Mar 2nd, 2001 04:25 PM

A few years ago I saw Lady Di dropping off her boys at Eton and shaking hands with the schoolmaster. Last June we were eating lunch across from St. Paul's when the bells started to chime and choirboys came out with the queen Mom - Mum? Apparently a pre-celebration for her 100th birthday.

meryl Mar 2nd, 2001 05:20 PM

I remember seeing you that day in Venice.You were the one with the down jacket, white running shoes, blue jeans and a backpack. Pretty stylish for a three hundred pounder. But why were you and your companions speaking English so loudly?

mrs.C Mar 2nd, 2001 07:12 PM

In 1992 we saw Marion Ross in Florence. (Mrs.Cunningham from "Happy Days"). In 1988 we were in London and saw Princess Diana. In 2000 we were in London again and saw the Queen Mum outside of Buckingham Palace during the changing of the guard. That same trip we also saw a film crew shooting "102 Dalmations" in London across from The Houses Of Parliment.

richard Mar 3rd, 2001 04:43 AM

I saw Robert DeNiro at L'Ami Louis in Paris. I saw Glenn Close, and Sylvester Stallone each waiting for their Limo's at the Dorchester in London. I saw Daniel Stern in London. I saw Shania Twain on a plane for Switzerland.

Big Deal, Eh? Mar 3rd, 2001 08:18 AM

I saw Burt Young (Sylvester Stallone’s brother-in-law in the “Rocky” movies) at Da Vici Airport in Rome as he got off the plane, hoping desperately to be recognized. He didn’t see me see him, so I guess he was crushed.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Mar 3rd, 2001 11:51 AM

Well, I guess I am the lucky one. Every trip I take to Europe I get to spend most of the day and nite with a real celebrity. She has the charm, grace and beauty of Audrey Hepburn. I even get to sleep with her. Her name is Susan and she married me 42 years ago.

kathy Mar 3rd, 2001 01:00 PM

I still have the photo of me and Steve Guttenberg ("Three Men and a Baby") in front of the London Hard Rock Cafe, 1990....

Donna Mar 3rd, 2001 01:06 PM

Have you ever noticed that rarely does anyone pay any attention to the answer above it? Like no one has a clue and lives in their own little world. <BR> <BR>Kudos to Bob the Navigator, great answer.

Getoverit Mar 3rd, 2001 02:07 PM

GET OVER IT! WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT CELEBRITIES BUT THEIR MONEY?

Diane Ethridge Mar 6th, 2001 03:23 PM

I saw Sean Connery at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London. After that, you don't need to see anyone else!

Al Mar 6th, 2001 03:28 PM

If I had seen Ms Streep anywhere near a canal I would have been tempted to push her in. Can't stand her. On the other hand, we used to keep a list of celebrities spotted: Jonathan Winters, John Dean, Hirohito, Prince Charles, Robert Redford, Elvis. The list goes on...but what a bore.

xx Mar 7th, 2001 03:55 AM

Saw Huggy Bear(Starsky & Hutch)at Rome Pantheon, June 1979.

Sarabeth Mar 7th, 2001 06:16 AM

I saw Huggy Bear too...but in Robinsons-May in Woodland Hills, Ca. waiting for his wife while she tried on shoes....

SharonM Mar 7th, 2001 05:12 PM

Saw Sophia Loren (Berlin Film Fest 1994) coming into an Art Museum...

Donna Mar 7th, 2001 05:49 PM

Look at the post above this one. Didn't I tell you no one really reads the posts and lives in their own little world! <BR> <BR>By the way, excepting the posts that are really serious about being thrilled by seeing "famous" people, this has been a fun thread.

SharonM Mar 7th, 2001 05:58 PM

ok Donna. <BR>You're really smart. <BR> <BR>I must be really stupid. <BR> <BR> <BR>happy?