Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I saw Meryl Streep in Venice. What celebrities have you spotted in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 09:17 AM
Celebrity Spotter

Three years ago I could have sworn I saw Meryl Streep in Venice. I glanced back and she — or a remarkable facsimile — was gone. Who have you seen in Europe over the years, famous or infamous?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:18 PM
Sue

We saw George McGovern (does that qualify for a celebrity?) in the Goldener something in Innsbruck, and I actually got Jean-Paul Sartre's autograph in a restaurant (too naive/dumb at the time to figure out that it was probably Simone de Beauvoir seated beside him!). (Moments that make you blush in retrospect.)

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:42 PM
StCirq

Was Raisa Gorbechov a celebrity? I saw her at the cathedral in Strasbourg.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:54 PM
Capo

As we were passing by the St.Germain-des-Pres church in Paris on our way to catch the Metro/RER to the airport back in 1994, my girlfriend & I passed by legendary beat poet Allen Ginsberg (this was, as I recall, just a year or so before he died.)

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:25 PM
Pierrette

A few years ago I saw Lady Di dropping off her boys at Eton and shaking hands with the schoolmaster. Last June we were eating lunch across from St. Paul's when the bells started to chime and choirboys came out with the queen Mom - Mum? Apparently a pre-celebration for her 100th birthday.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:20 PM
meryl

I remember seeing you that day in Venice.You were the one with the down jacket, white running shoes, blue jeans and a backpack. Pretty stylish for a three hundred pounder. But why were you and your companions speaking English so loudly?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:12 PM
mrs.C

In 1992 we saw Marion Ross in Florence. (Mrs.Cunningham from "Happy Days"). In 1988 we were in London and saw Princess Diana. In 2000 we were in London again and saw the Queen Mum outside of Buckingham Palace during the changing of the guard. That same trip we also saw a film crew shooting "102 Dalmations" in London across from The Houses Of Parliment.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 04:43 AM
richard

I saw Robert DeNiro at L'Ami Louis in Paris. I saw Glenn Close, and Sylvester Stallone each waiting for their Limo's at the Dorchester in London. I saw Daniel Stern in London. I saw Shania Twain on a plane for Switzerland.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:18 AM
Big Deal, Eh?

I saw Burt Young (Sylvester Stallone’s brother-in-law in the “Rocky” movies) at Da Vici Airport in Rome as he got off the plane, hoping desperately to be recognized. He didn’t see me see him, so I guess he was crushed.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 11:51 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Well, I guess I am the lucky one. Every trip I take to Europe I get to spend most of the day and nite with a real celebrity. She has the charm, grace and beauty of Audrey Hepburn. I even get to sleep with her. Her name is Susan and she married me 42 years ago.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 01:00 PM
kathy

I still have the photo of me and Steve Guttenberg ("Three Men and a Baby") in front of the London Hard Rock Cafe, 1990....

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 01:06 PM
Donna

Have you ever noticed that rarely does anyone pay any attention to the answer above it? Like no one has a clue and lives in their own little world. <BR> <BR>Kudos to Bob the Navigator, great answer.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 02:07 PM
Getoverit

GET OVER IT! WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT CELEBRITIES BUT THEIR MONEY?

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Diane Ethridge

I saw Sean Connery at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London. After that, you don't need to see anyone else!

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Al

If I had seen Ms Streep anywhere near a canal I would have been tempted to push her in. Can't stand her. On the other hand, we used to keep a list of celebrities spotted: Jonathan Winters, John Dean, Hirohito, Prince Charles, Robert Redford, Elvis. The list goes on...but what a bore.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:55 AM
xx

Saw Huggy Bear(Starsky & Hutch)at Rome Pantheon, June 1979.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Sarabeth

I saw Huggy Bear too...but in Robinsons-May in Woodland Hills, Ca. waiting for his wife while she tried on shoes....

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:12 PM
SharonM

Saw Sophia Loren (Berlin Film Fest 1994) coming into an Art Museum...

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Donna

Look at the post above this one. Didn't I tell you no one really reads the posts and lives in their own little world! <BR> <BR>By the way, excepting the posts that are really serious about being thrilled by seeing "famous" people, this has been a fun thread.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:58 PM
SharonM

ok Donna. <BR>You're really smart. <BR> <BR>I must be really stupid. <BR> <BR> <BR>happy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -