Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help!Salzburg hotel in old town (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-salzburg-hotel-in-old-town-232976/)

tere Jun 20th, 2002 03:21 PM

Help!Salzburg hotel in old town

I'm going to Salzburg July 12-13 and would like to stay right in the old town. Any recommendations?? We are two families, 2 adults,3 kids each. <BR>So far, we have the Hotel Bristol as a possibility though it's just across the river--any comments on that one?<BR>The Blaue Gans if full and the Wolf Hotel is as well. I would appreciate ANY help. THANKS!

Judy Jun 20th, 2002 03:44 PM

In '96 we stayed at Hotel Elefont, right in the middle of old town, in what was originally a 1200 yr. old bldg, great Beidermeyer furniture, very european. Doubt if it would be available at this late date, but I do recommend it. Judy

Kathy Jun 20th, 2002 03:44 PM

You might do better posting this question on the Austria board. We stayed at the Hotel Radisson Alstadt right smack in the middle of old town. It is not at all a typical Radison but a beautiful old Austrian inn contained in several buildings all connected. It turn out to be one of our favorite hotels of the trip.

Bob Brown Jun 20th, 2002 05:01 PM

For the record,there is no Austria board on Fodors. It is not like Frommers.<BR><BR>The Gasthotel zur Goldenen Ente on Goldgasse in the Old Town of Salzburg is an ok place, except it is not air conditioned. If July is as hot as June, any non airconditioned hotel could be uncomfortable.<BR><BR>Assuming temperatures return to normal, the room we had at the Golden Duck was acceptable, and the breakfast was in the tradition of many hotels in Austria and south Germany -- in a word, excellent or better.<BR><BR>Goldgasse is a narrow,twisting street just off main square near Mozart's statue. We had fun just wandering the streets and window shopping as well as buying a few presents.<BR><BR>

Adam Jun 20th, 2002 05:31 PM

We recently stayed at the Weisse Taube on Kaigasse. Nice room for 3 with breakfast for 124 Euros.

mariana Jun 20th, 2002 06:55 PM

A few years ago we stayed at the Elefant and the location couldn't be beat. Right around the corner from Mozart's house, restaurants, and the walking street. It came highly recommended and we were not disappointed. It was in Nov. ...cold and rainy (which we like!) and the hotel was warm and toasty and a welcome retreat after walking the streets.(of course you are going in July,so I would check airconditioning)It is fairly small and rooms not huge...so I'm not sure about the family situation.There are others three or four blocks away from old town center which might be larger. There is a Novotel which some people I know have used, but it is not in the old town....but is at the top of shopping/walking streets.

judy Jun 21st, 2002 04:29 AM

This past April, we stayed at the Am Dom, which is located on Goldgasse. We had a large triple room for less than $100 a night, which included a nice breakfast. It is a charming, small, old hotel and I would definitely stay there again. The location was wonderful. However, I don't think it is air-conditioned, so I don't know if that would pose a problem in July.

Christina Jun 21st, 2002 09:47 AM

Yet another vote for Hotel Elefant -- this was one of the nicer hotels I've ever stayed in and was very reasonable for its quality. You can't beat the location for convenience, and it has a good restaurant on the ground floor which came in handy one night when it was raining and I didn't want to go out. I also don't know about rooms available for that big a family, but you can certainly ask.

Patricia Lee Solar Jun 27th, 2002 10:41 AM

Stayed Oct. 2000 at the Hotel am Dom ; it is just off the ResidenzPlatz;above the Chinatown Restaurant (didnt eat there)hotel was $32 pp for bed & brkfst for double room.NOT fancy but just right! Have great time. Be safe.

Margie Jun 27th, 2002 11:26 AM

We also stayed at the Weisse Taube on Kaigasse. Very nice hotel. Cordial, English-speaking hosts and lovely breakfast. Easily within walking distance of all the old town has to offer. I would highly recommend it.

xxx Jun 27th, 2002 11:51 AM

Yet another vote for the Hotel Elefant. Fabulous Old Town location, beautiful interiors, large rooms, very friendly staff. It's actually a Best Western hotel, so check out the Best Western website for direct booking. I was so pleased with this hotel that I wrote a complimentary letter to the manager when I returned home.