Help!Salzburg hotel in old town

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:21 PM
tere

Help!Salzburg hotel in old town

I'm going to Salzburg July 12-13 and would like to stay right in the old town. Any recommendations?? We are two families, 2 adults,3 kids each. <BR>So far, we have the Hotel Bristol as a possibility though it's just across the river--any comments on that one?<BR>The Blaue Gans if full and the Wolf Hotel is as well. I would appreciate ANY help. THANKS!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Judy

In '96 we stayed at Hotel Elefont, right in the middle of old town, in what was originally a 1200 yr. old bldg, great Beidermeyer furniture, very european. Doubt if it would be available at this late date, but I do recommend it. Judy

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Kathy

You might do better posting this question on the Austria board. We stayed at the Hotel Radisson Alstadt right smack in the middle of old town. It is not at all a typical Radison but a beautiful old Austrian inn contained in several buildings all connected. It turn out to be one of our favorite hotels of the trip.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Bob Brown

For the record,there is no Austria board on Fodors. It is not like Frommers.<BR><BR>The Gasthotel zur Goldenen Ente on Goldgasse in the Old Town of Salzburg is an ok place, except it is not air conditioned. If July is as hot as June, any non airconditioned hotel could be uncomfortable.<BR><BR>Assuming temperatures return to normal, the room we had at the Golden Duck was acceptable, and the breakfast was in the tradition of many hotels in Austria and south Germany -- in a word, excellent or better.<BR><BR>Goldgasse is a narrow,twisting street just off main square near Mozart's statue. We had fun just wandering the streets and window shopping as well as buying a few presents.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Adam

We recently stayed at the Weisse Taube on Kaigasse. Nice room for 3 with breakfast for 124 Euros.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:55 PM
mariana

A few years ago we stayed at the Elefant and the location couldn't be beat. Right around the corner from Mozart's house, restaurants, and the walking street. It came highly recommended and we were not disappointed. It was in Nov. ...cold and rainy (which we like!) and the hotel was warm and toasty and a welcome retreat after walking the streets.(of course you are going in July,so I would check airconditioning)It is fairly small and rooms not huge...so I'm not sure about the family situation.There are others three or four blocks away from old town center which might be larger. There is a Novotel which some people I know have used, but it is not in the old town....but is at the top of shopping/walking streets.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:29 AM
judy

This past April, we stayed at the Am Dom, which is located on Goldgasse. We had a large triple room for less than $100 a night, which included a nice breakfast. It is a charming, small, old hotel and I would definitely stay there again. The location was wonderful. However, I don't think it is air-conditioned, so I don't know if that would pose a problem in July.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:47 AM
Christina

Yet another vote for Hotel Elefant -- this was one of the nicer hotels I've ever stayed in and was very reasonable for its quality. You can't beat the location for convenience, and it has a good restaurant on the ground floor which came in handy one night when it was raining and I didn't want to go out. I also don't know about rooms available for that big a family, but you can certainly ask.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Patricia Lee Solar

Stayed Oct. 2000 at the Hotel am Dom ; it is just off the ResidenzPlatz;above the Chinatown Restaurant (didnt eat there)hotel was $32 pp for bed & brkfst for double room.NOT fancy but just right! Have great time. Be safe.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Margie

We also stayed at the Weisse Taube on Kaigasse. Very nice hotel. Cordial, English-speaking hosts and lovely breakfast. Easily within walking distance of all the old town has to offer. I would highly recommend it.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:51 AM
xxx

Yet another vote for the Hotel Elefant. Fabulous Old Town location, beautiful interiors, large rooms, very friendly staff. It's actually a Best Western hotel, so check out the Best Western website for direct booking. I was so pleased with this hotel that I wrote a complimentary letter to the manager when I returned home.