Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   France bank question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/france-bank-question-385838/)

GKS Jun 27th, 2008 11:25 AM

France bank question

Hi all - After reading many threads about euros, exchange rates, fees etc, it looks like taking out money while in France would be the best option for us. So my question is, are there BNP Paribas banks everywhere in France? We're with BofA, and it's sounding like taking out money at one of their ATM's is the best way for us to go....but we'll be in places like Marseille, Cassis, Beaune, Gigondas, Colmar....just wanted to be sure they're very common and relatively easy to find?

Our other two payment options would be AMEX and our BofA Visa Checkcard. Does anyone know off-hand which is better? (I need to call my bank, but am at work and trying to do research covertly, haha, so just thought I'd ask). :)

cocofromdijon Jun 27th, 2008 11:44 AM

http://tinyurl.com/eotgu
write the name of the town in Ville and then "recherchez" you will even see their opening times.
Don't worry there are LOTS of BNP in France (one of them in Dijon is quite big since they own the ground floor of the building where I have my apartment rental)$-)

GKS Jun 27th, 2008 11:47 AM

Thank you!! I appreciate that. :)

GKS Jun 27th, 2008 12:48 PM

Just in case anyone else reads this and finds it useful, here are some details I was just told... And of course this pertains to my accounts and yours may be different, but maybe this will be of use...

BofA: To use your Visa Checkcard as a credit card they charge a transaction fee of 3% of the amount, plus a $5.00 fee. (also, FYI, to w/draw from a non-partner ATM, they charge 1% of the transaction amount plus $5)

AmEx: They charge a transaction fee of 2%.

Cocofromdijon - pretty much all those banks have ATM's outside right? Just in case we get to one when it's closed?

StCirq Jun 27th, 2008 12:58 PM

You can use a debit card at any ATM in France.

zorrosf Jun 27th, 2008 01:07 PM

After almost losing my card in an Italian ATM machine, I have the following rules: (1) try to use only ATM's attached to a real bank, not just a window. Sometimes this is not possible (e.g., at La Poste) and (2) try to use the ATM only when the bank is actually open (i.e., not on weekends, after hours). As said, this is not always possible, but all it takes is one malfunctioning ATM machine to ruin your vacation.

cocofromdijon Jun 27th, 2008 11:08 PM

<Cocofromdijon - pretty much all those banks have ATM's outside right? Just in case we get to one when it's closed? >
All the banks I know in Dijon have one :-) but zorrosf's suggestions are good.

hetismij Jun 28th, 2008 12:00 AM

Even if the ATM is inside you can usually swipe your card through a reader to let you in to the ATM lobby.

mgbleuven Jun 28th, 2008 03:02 AM

Just in Beaune and there was a BNP atm there. We have managed to find one on every trip to France as we also have BofA.

Travelnut Jun 28th, 2008 04:35 AM

It's a lot easier if you just get a better card/bank acct. Capital One is the "king" - 0% added to credit card transactions, 0% added to debit card/ATM withdrawals + $1.50 out-of-network fee.

elsiejune Jun 28th, 2008 02:53 PM

BNP Paribas seems to be everywhere in France, and is certainly well-represented in Paris. As a BofA customer, you should not incur any fees for using their ATM. That said, the "best" credit card these days is Captial One, which does not add the 2-3% transaction fee that most other credit cards commonly add. Just realize that it pays to use one card for ATM transactions and another (Capital One) for credit card purchases. EJ ((#))

AJPeabody Jun 28th, 2008 05:19 PM

It is a good idea to carry an extra ATM linked to a free checking account with backup money for daily expenses. You can never tell when a card will be eaten by the machine. If it happens, this will be the backup that prevents a money-free weekend experience.

BootsN Jun 28th, 2008 10:12 PM

I agree with Travelnut. No conversion fees for credit card purchases or ATM withdrawals. I even got $56 back as a hassle-free reward for using my credit card. If you use an ATM machine, you may have to withdraw from "Savings," not "checking."
BootsN

BootsN Jun 28th, 2008 10:14 PM

P.S. I do have to pay a $2 ATM withdrawal fee here in the States. That is charged by the bank, not Capital One. I paid no withdrawal fee in France.
Boots N

GKS Jun 30th, 2008 12:23 PM

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate this! We're off on Thursday and now this is one less thing for me to think about. Thank you! :)