Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fodors Addiction?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fodors-addiction-389799/)

angel_UK Jan 20th, 2004 04:45 PM

Fodors Addiction??

I came across an old thread last night whilst looking up Holland,about becoming addicted to this site!
It was started a few years ago and I'm sure there will have been many others along the same lines.

It was very interesting and funny to read, but I noticed there are a lot of new names on this board now.
So instead of bringing it back to the top and having to go through hundreds of posts, I thought it would be easier to start a new thread, and some of the newer 'Fodor Addicts' could have their say!

As I said on an earlier post today I only discovered Fodors when I was planning my trip to Prague for last month.
I now find myself wondering about the pro's and con's of people's trips sometimes if they seem a bit too much, or am really happy for people who are excited about their trip, even if it's somewhere I've never been!

Anyone else going to admit to being an addict?
My name is Angel, and I haven't refreshed the Fodor's page for at least .....ooh half an hour :D

maitaitom Jan 20th, 2004 04:53 PM

" and I haven't refreshed the Fodor's page for at least .....ooh half an hour"

Then at least you're not a true addict and have a chance. It's when you start clicking the refresh button every few minutes that the 12 Step Program is recommended. By the way, I love when UK people use the word "whilst" instead of our "while". Sounds much cooler.
((H))

Patrick Jan 20th, 2004 05:02 PM

One morning I woke up at the computer at about 3 AM. My hands were on the keyboard and the screen which had a "post a reply" window from Fodors was filled with thousands of odd letters. Do you think I qualify?

angel_UK Jan 20th, 2004 05:11 PM

maitaitom : 'whilst' I may have mentioned 'half an hour' I was just pretending not to be too addicted!

In fact I divide my time equally between my local football team messageboard and this one, so I can't be so addicted can I......REFRESH,REFRESH,REFRESH.....did I miss anything :D

cls2paris Jan 20th, 2004 05:15 PM

My name is Cindy, and I am a Fodors addict. I like read about where people are going and gather info for my trip files. My next trip is in July - 5 days in Paris and then 8-9 days in Switzerland. For me, researching and planning is half the fun of trip.

StCirq Jan 20th, 2004 05:20 PM

Addiction? Oh PuhLEEZE! How dare you? You must be joking? I could go WEEKS without signing on here, really, believe me. I don't ever even think about it. Never. Addiction? No, never, jamais!
I suppose you'll say I'm in denial?

angel_UK Jan 20th, 2004 05:23 PM

patrick, sounds like a typical posting from me :D

Cindy, nice to hear from another addict, hope you have a great trip :)

Marilyn Jan 20th, 2004 05:24 PM

I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to quit.

joan_a Jan 20th, 2004 05:45 PM

Oh no! I seem to be coming down with many of the symptoms you all mentioned . . . refreshing often, falling asleep at the mouse, reading threads that are over six years old. I've only been reading this board for a month. Can I be a fodor-holic already? Say it isn't so.

annesherrod Jan 20th, 2004 05:47 PM

Guilty as Charged!~
I can't seem to get enough!

Lorena Jan 20th, 2004 05:56 PM

What I'm wondering is what makes it so addictive.
I am not a regular, but also find myself frequently attracted to the site. I usually don't live vicariously, but I start researching a trip to Paris, and suddenly find myself reading about Moscow subways or Italian honeymoons. Can't figure it out....

Judyrem Jan 20th, 2004 06:18 PM

Yes, Angel_UK, I am an addict. Have been. Will be, till they pull my "cold dead hands" from the refresh button! ;-) Judy

kismetchimera Jan 20th, 2004 06:47 PM

I CONFESS...I Am GUILTY...I cant stay away from Fodors...

easytraveler Jan 20th, 2004 07:01 PM

I was a lurker before, then came the SF GTG and I got hooked! So many great people all in one place! The people are actually as nice as they sound online!!! :)

Is there a "refresh" button? Quick, where is it? :((

mrwunrfl Jan 20th, 2004 07:02 PM

No.
Denial IS a river in Egypt.

chardonnay Jan 20th, 2004 07:15 PM

Yes I think I am addicted, I think it is fun to read all the different trips, plans and questions.

But sometimes I worry about myself when I think about someone's thread when I am not even on the computer! Yesterday I was showering and thinking about how I could answer someone's question about a honeymoon!

I think our little Fodor reply boxes are like windows onto the world.

Thonglori Jan 20th, 2004 07:23 PM

I think this site is extremely helpful, and I find the members on here incredibly knowledgeable!! Sometimes though, people throw a lot more than their two cents in without knowing the full story, and I've seen and experienced unnecessary personal "attacks." Maybe some Fodorites need more entertainment in their lives, I don't know.
Overall though, this place is a really fantastic and wonderful travel resource!!

BarbaraS Jan 20th, 2004 07:29 PM

After reading this post, I feel so much better. My husband thinks I'm addicted, but I have never used the refresh button, so obviously I'm not.
Thanks!

Clifton Jan 20th, 2004 07:33 PM

LOL Patrick. QWERTY wasn't emblazoned upon your forehead, was it?

It's difficult to live down that tell-tale sign at an FA (Fodors Anon) meeting.

Betsy Jan 20th, 2004 07:57 PM

You don't have to click on the refresh/reload button. Just click on Europe in red at the top of the topics list. Works the same way.

Definitely a head-over-heels addicted pin-wearing Fodorite. Since 1998.