Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   favorite london restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/favorite-london-restaurant-139413/)

Mark Jan 4th, 2003 07:28 AM

favorite london restaurant

What restaurant in london would you choose to celebrate a special occasion and why?

Patrick Jan 4th, 2003 07:38 AM

Assuming you are not from London (or maybe even if you are)Rules would be high on the list. Traditional English food including game and over-the-top old English atmosphere, and perhaps the best sticky toffee pudding in the world.<BR><BR>If it is more about the food itself, then maybe Gordon Ramsey?

janis Jan 4th, 2003 09:02 AM

There are many, many to choose from. But you couldn't go wrong with the Ivy, Rules, or Gordon Ramsey.

John G Jan 4th, 2003 01:47 PM

For a special occasion, Gordon Ramsay or Ivy can't be beat. Other great restaurants in London are: Connaught (British-French), St. John (known for &quot;innards&quot;), Veeraswamy (Indian), Le Caprice, and Groucho Club (you must be a member or be with a member to gain entrance). All these restaurants are very expenive, especially GR and Connaught. A bottle of Krug at either will set you back $600. Cheers, darling.

mimi taylor Jan 4th, 2003 01:52 PM

i'll take Caprice, Gavroche, Tante Claire Assagi, Star of India and Finch's.

Patrick Jan 4th, 2003 06:29 PM

I&quot;m just curious here. Am I the only one who didn't apprecite The Ivy? We had a mediocre meal there with incredibly slow and bad, inexperienced service. Mainly people talk about the &quot;elite&quot; eating there which means nothing to me, but I saw nothing exciting about the restaurant. On the other hand Le Caprice (at that time owned by the same people, but I'm not so sure now) was simply wonderful.<BR>I've chosen not to go back to The Ivy and have never figured out why I'd struggle for months to snag a reservation at a restaurant where I found both the food and service mediocre at best. What am I missing?

ellie Jan 4th, 2003 07:06 PM

Our family celebrated Thanksgiving 2002 at Le Gavroche. No turkey but lots of exceptional service, exquisite food and oddly relaxed atmosphere for such a posh spot. Very expensive, but well worth it for a memorable - perhaps once in a lifetime - experience.

janis Jan 4th, 2003 09:08 PM

Patrick: Maybe you were just unlucky and went on a bad day. I have dined at the Ivy twice and both time were exceptional. Not my absolute favorite meals of all time - those were at K-Pauls in New Orleans, the Peat Inn in rural Fife and in a small cafe on Ile de la cite - but right up there among the best.

Patrick Jan 5th, 2003 06:30 AM

Thanks, Janis, I've always suspected that to be true. I was truly curious if I am the ONLY one who didn't like The Ivy as everyone raves about it. Had to be a fluke. But I do believe it sold a year or two ago. Has it changed in any way as a result?

james Jan 5th, 2003 09:05 AM

I had this question to solve recently - we went to Gordon Ramsay at Claridges. You get the opulence of one of London's great hotels (and London's most 'in' bar) combined with the chef of the moment - who was there! The 6 course set menu was a bargain at &pound;65, and we thought the wine list reasonably priced(if very long). The room is attractive and there is a certain buzz from fellow diners expecting something special - no-one is disappointed.