Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fannypacks vs. day bags (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fannypacks-vs-day-bags-841099/)

lalalacheesejah May 20th, 2010 09:48 AM

Fannypacks vs. day bags

I was looking into hip bags (like a belt with a pouch, but more stylish than a fannypack) for my trip to Europe to hold my camera and cash that isn't in my moneybelt.
I've heard, though, that wearing fannypacks (or something fannypack-esque) makes you stick out like a sore thumb as a tourist.

But I've also heard that by wearing bags over the shoulder, it is easy for pickpockets to cut the straps and run, etc.

So which is safer and easier? Does it matter if I look too touristy by wearing a fannypack?

ellenem May 20th, 2010 10:02 AM

It is just as easy for pickpockets to mess with a waist pack as with a shoulder bag. In fact some are so skilled, they can pop the clip of a waist pack with ease.

I wear a bag that is across the body, not just hanging from my shoulder, for extra security. The bag stays, in front of me, not behind me as many shoulder bags would. This also means that when I am in the crowded places where pickpockets work most effectively, it's easy to put a hand on the bag and/or strap for extra security.

avalon May 20th, 2010 10:02 AM

You wear it across your chest , like a messenger bag and no chance to cut and run. I've been traveling to Europe yearly for over 40 years and have not had problems with my regular bag. A fannypack is out of sight and can easily be split and opened with a razor or switchblade and you would even know it. And do not call it a fanny pack in England!

Christina May 20th, 2010 10:04 AM

no, it doesn't matter. YOu are a tourist and lots of others will be wearing them, so if you don't care, it doesn't matter.

A pickpocket could always cut the strap of your hip bag, also, now couldn't they, if you are comparing bag hazards.

I don't wear hip bags except when I am doing something sporty, like biking or hiking. But lots of other folks like them for everyday. You will probably stick out like a tourist regardless and if you are going to tourist sites, you obviously are one, and carrying guidebooks and cameras, etc.

I think ease is personal choice. I think safety doesn't matter, you have to be careful either way as to your surroundings and guard your belongings. I'm not afraid of pickpockets as I don't let people pickpocket me, I'm not careless and I never have been, actually.

Iowa_Redhead May 20th, 2010 11:15 AM

You're a tourist and you're going to look like a tourist. Don't worry about it, it's not a bad thing. Besides, the camera, map, accent and visiting tourist sites tends to be a give away of your tourist status.

You can get a fanny pack that has metal cord sewn into the strap so that it can't be cut (safepac I think has these). A lot of hiking/camping stores have fanny packs that come in various sizes and would be fine for a camera and small items. The trick is to wear it with the pack in front of you in busy crowds. That still leaves the strap vulnerable if you don't get one with a metal cord, but that at least minimizes your risks.

Personally I hate fanny packs and much prefer a messenger bag worn across my torso. You could do the same sort of thing with a camera bag and just keep a small wallet in there as well as camera items. Wear the strap across your body and not just on one shoulder and it's much harder to cut and run. I keep the bag part on my hip or even in front of me in crowds and keep my hand on the bag or low on the strap.

As avalon mentioned, don't call it a fanny pack in the UK or near Aussies & Kiwis. Fanny is a rude term for women's anatomy I believe and it generally makes them give you very funny looks. To them, it's a bum bag. :)

You mentioned using a money belt. Many people say those are generally a good idea, just remember to put your items in a ziplock bag (otherwise they tend to get damp and sweaty) and to keep things in it that you don't need to get into very often. I've seen many people keep all of their money and credit cards in it and then they have to practically strip each time they go to make a purchase.

sap May 20th, 2010 11:21 AM

Fanny pack - bum bag - whatever. I won't wear anything that makes my butt look big. (Which IMO is even worse than looking like a tourist.)

Messenger bags worn crosswise are perfect.

BigRuss May 20th, 2010 11:33 AM

When I was close to your age (I've read your other threads), I carried a small bag like one that would carry workout gear that strapped across the shoulder. I had my wallet in my front pocket (deep pocket at that) and would sling the bag around to cover the wallet pocket. Now I still carry a wallet, have a backpack (with locks for the pockets) and glare at anyone who looks apt to be a pickpocket (I'm bigger than those scrawny little buggers). No probs to date.

When the little ballerina girl flirting with him asked Billy Elliot "wanna see my fanny?" in the play, my wife thought it was funny that she offered to show him her rear. When I told her what a fanny was in British, the wife was a bit taken aback.

lalalacheesejah May 20th, 2010 11:42 AM

I like the idea of a fannypack better (but I grew up with parents who always wore them in front! so I never even knew
people wore them facing backwards lol).

My shoulder always tends to give out with a cross-shoulder bag, but I suppose it might be okay with just the weight of a camera and money/card.
I feel like a hip bag would be more comfortable, but what do I know?

I don't care if I look like a tourist, as long as it doesn't bring me any weird reactions or as long as it isn't a major no-no or something (I don't know all these things yet as I'm new to all this).

Thanks everyone!

ThinGorjus May 20th, 2010 12:06 PM

A fanny pack? Are you serious? You must be off your meds, sweetie darling.

If I ever saw someone wearing a fanny pack and they were standing in front of me on a crowded city street, I would push them in front of a speeding bus.

People who wear fanny packs deserve scorn and ridicule; they deserve to be tarred and feathered.

Get thee to Barney's New York and buy yourself a nice bag so you don't pollute our environment with ugliness.

Here is a reasonably priced bag that would work:

http://tinyurl.com/2bs2um9

It doesn't take that much to be a little fabulous.

You can heap thanks upon me latter.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus

Iowa_Redhead May 20th, 2010 12:38 PM

Thin, you're awful! :P And sorry but that bag is expensive (a $450 bag is NOT reasonably priced) and fugly. Granted, a fanny pack is generally not any better for funny lookin.

charnees May 20th, 2010 12:46 PM

thin: Reasonably priced? Are you mad?

ThinGorjus May 20th, 2010 12:47 PM

>fugly<

I don't think that bag is ugly at all. It is a leather bag made by hand. What do you want for $450?

A fabulous Balenciaga or Givenchy is three time that price.

You must come from a very small town in Iowa because professional-looking investment-piece bags in cities like New York, Boston, Philadelphia, etc. are very expensive.

Thin

StCirq May 20th, 2010 01:10 PM

I would rather chew off my arms while having a root canal than be seen in a fanny pack.

spcfa May 20th, 2010 01:12 PM

I was at a conference last year with Abbey Joseph Cohen, and she carried a black nylon back-pack. If it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me. (She's a brilliant Wall Street kee-zillionaire, constantly on television and being quoted in the business news for her opinion on the market - for those of you who don't recognize the name) Don't let Thin make you feel "small town" because you disagree with her about a purse.

ThinGorjus May 20th, 2010 01:20 PM

>and she carried a black nylon back-pack<

Yes, and it was probably a Prada or Tumi, and they cost more than $450.

Don't even start with me, Miss Thing. You are out of your league.

Amateur.

Thin

ThinGorjus May 20th, 2010 01:25 PM

Hello, Melen.

How are you? How are your children?

Planning any trips?

Thin

StCirq May 20th, 2010 01:26 PM

Thin, have you been lapping your gin out of the doggie bowl again? Tsk.

Ackislander May 20th, 2010 01:28 PM

Putting your camera and money in a bum bag/fanny pack is an invitation to lose it, even if you wear it facing the front.

StCirq May 20th, 2010 01:30 PM

Hi, Thin.

Kids are good, especially as they're out of the house now:)
Planning for France and Morocco in the fall. Maybe something in between. And may get to go back to Africa for work (fingers crossed). Might be in Philly this summer, too.

spcfa May 20th, 2010 01:34 PM

Thin,
It was LLBean. Sorry to disappoint!