Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Do you get drunk on long flights? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/do-you-get-drunk-on-long-flights-348274/)

JandaO Aug 15th, 2003 07:28 AM

Do you get drunk on long flights?

Maitaitom you need not answer :)

I have 1-2 drinks sometimes but I am not a big drinker.

olivia Aug 15th, 2003 07:35 AM

No, because it just makes me feel more dehydrated than the dry air already does. Just wine with dinner, usually.

JandaO Aug 15th, 2003 08:54 AM

Wow, It looks like no one wants to admit this one.....

cigalechanta Aug 15th, 2003 08:59 AM

I have a few drinks befor dinner and wine with it. Nice buzz relaxes me.

maitaitom Aug 15th, 2003 09:05 AM

"Maitaitom you need not answer "

In an upset, I don't get drunk on long flights. I usually have one of those fine bottles of wine they serve (vintage June), and then, at some point, attempt to sleep. I do drink plenty of water (no Scotch added).
((H))

BoulderCO Aug 15th, 2003 09:06 AM

Couple of beers, wine with dinner, a Bailey's after dinner and I'm ready for a snooze. Probably the only way I can get to sleep on a plane. No problems with dehydration - I drink plenty of water too.

hightide Aug 15th, 2003 09:10 AM

I drink on flights like I vote: early & often. Actually being a hyper person, a smoker, flying wuss, and cursed (blessed?)with a severely short attention span, this is the only way I can handle LONG flights. I also drink lots of water so no dehydration. Get an aisle seat though, trips to the toilet may be frequesnt, but hey, they say you're supposed to get up and walk around frequently on long flights anyway. Cheers!!!

JOANNAPVB Aug 15th, 2003 09:14 AM

Yes - it relaxes me -

cmt Aug 15th, 2003 09:22 AM

No. I just have wine with the meal, and that's it. Actually, I've never gotten drunk in my life, though I DO drink. I just drink wine with meals, or after-dinner drinks, and never drink alcohol on an empty stomach.

Statia Aug 15th, 2003 09:22 AM

It's very tempting to catch a buzz to help me go to sleep, but I'm always afraid of feeling icky when I arrive. So, I stick with the wine that comes with the dinner.

However, I certainly toss back a few once I arrive!

JandaO Aug 15th, 2003 09:24 AM

maitaitom,
you know I was just funnin' ya....
I have had those June vintages also. Arent they special? Kind of reminds me of some wine I have had in Italy. NOT.

maitaitom Aug 15th, 2003 09:33 AM

"Arent they special?"

Yes. Especially the chilled red wines.
((H))

capo Aug 15th, 2003 09:39 AM

Drunk, no. But at a crusing altitude of 30,000+ feet, I'm always high when I fly. :)

suze Aug 15th, 2003 09:50 AM

I used to, and I am using the literal definition of DRUNK ... but I'm just too old now! I get jetlag so bad and a hangover only makes that worse. Plus I can't sleep on planes, so I'd just end up a mess upon arrival.

Having said all that, I *am* normally a hearty drinker so probably do rack up 4-5 drinks total ... but it *is* a 9 hour flight ~LOL!

Therese Aug 15th, 2003 09:54 AM

Not hammered, but a nice buzz. On night flights I take a sleep med, so don't drink much (plus I'm asleep, so it'd be difficult to manage unless I used an I.V.).

ira Aug 15th, 2003 11:38 AM

I find that a "beer and a bumper" puts me to sleep.

MizzEve Aug 15th, 2003 11:42 AM

I never drink when I fly, unless I'm in 1st class. Afterall, I can't (wo)man the emergency exit if I'm drunk :-)

Marilyn Aug 15th, 2003 12:30 PM

I try, but am rarely successful these days. Have managed to occasionally have "too much fun" in the past, however.

hightide Aug 15th, 2003 12:36 PM

If I might digress from the thread topic: Sure fire cure for a hangover (on or off a plane): Take a night-time cold tablet before you go to sleep and drink lots of water. Usually a hangover is either allergic reaction or dehydration. You'll wake up feeling great - don't forget to drink a big glass of water when you awake so the cold tablet doesn't dehydrate you. Works every time... (cold tablet also helps you sleep on the plane - make sure it's a night-time tab though or you'll REALLY be flying!!!)

sophieD Aug 15th, 2003 12:37 PM

I hate to fly so I take drugs. No need to drink :)