Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Did you marry your European boy/girlfriend? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/did-you-marry-your-european-boy-girlfriend-474199/)

gelato_lover Sep 14th, 2004 01:25 PM

Did you marry your European boy/girlfriend?

Hi everyone,
Today is my two year wedding anniversary with F, a wonderful Italian I met while on vacation in April 1998. We did the (very) long-distance thing for two years, then I sold my condo and car, put everything in storage and moved to Italy for 18 months to see if our relationship was going to the "next level". Well, it did! We were married in Las Vegas in April '02 and in Tuscany in September '02 (hence today is our "Italian anniversary"). Sometimes there are frustrating cultural differences, but today (and most days) I feel so lucky to have found such a great guy...especially when I wasn't even looking. Anyone have a similar experience?

Grandma Sep 14th, 2004 02:40 PM

I didn't. (Never had one (:-
But one of my oldest friends did....and now I have a half German godson.

kismetchimera Sep 14th, 2004 02:49 PM

My DH should answer this question..he married me..:)( The European)..

mclaurie Sep 14th, 2004 03:01 PM

Tomorrow is <i>my</i> anniversary. Married my Englishman first in NY and then in London so both families could participate. Happy anniversary gelato lover. ((^)) ((L))

gelato_lover Sep 14th, 2004 03:26 PM

grandma - it's never to late!

kismet - I've enjoyed your posts for the last year. Your husband is a lucky man.

mclaurie - Happy anniversary! Wasn't it great having two weddings? I wore my dress twice and felt like an absolute princess getting married in the Tuscan countryside....

cher_cher Sep 14th, 2004 03:54 PM

I've been all over the world yet have never dated anyone from east of Pacific Coast Highway in Southern California! Even living elsewhere, they've all been SoCal beach boys!

cher_cher Sep 14th, 2004 03:56 PM

Oops -- happy anniversary, gelato_lover :D

dln Sep 14th, 2004 04:07 PM

Happy Anniversary, gelato lover! ((L)) I've just passed the 19 year mark with a wonderful Englishman (well, not English any more; he got his citizenship when our last child was born). The family joke is that he married me for the Green card and I married him for the accent! We were married just outside of Boston, where we met, and a few months later we went to the UK to meet his family. Our first-born was christened in Windsor, England, at my husband's parish. Both our children have English names, and have grown up visiting their English husbands. All in all, we've had a wonderful time mixing up the American and English bits of our lives.

mclaurie Sep 14th, 2004 04:41 PM

Yes it was great wearing the dress twice, but getting it across the pond wasn't easy, nor was arranging 2 weddings. It also takes a toll on the pocketbook (so did the phone bill before hand). Cheers ((D))

kismetchimera Sep 14th, 2004 05:01 PM

happy Anniversary gelato..

I married the same guy twice also.
The first time in Rome at the famous Campidoglio( Civil ceremony), the second time In Honolulu, we were stationed there( Church Wedding) and our 3 children had the fortune to see their parents getting married..:)

I hope that you have many more happy anniversary gelato..We have been married a Loonng time now..
Ciao bella,
Annamaria

kismetchimera Sep 14th, 2004 05:09 PM

Happy Anniversary to you Mc laurie...Is fun to be married twice with the same guy..
My 2 oldest children were baptized in Rome also,in the the same cathedral that my brothers and I were baptized:
San Giovanni in Laterano...
Is all in the family..:)

Hello Carissima dln, it has been a long time since i chat with you..:)

dln Sep 14th, 2004 05:16 PM

oops, should have read &quot;...visiting their English cousins.&quot; NOT husbands! They're both just teenagers!

Hello to you Annamaria, I promise to write when we get back from France!

Roontoo Sep 14th, 2004 05:41 PM

I also married my Englishman twice! The first time, we eloped here in the states 3 months to the day after we met. Very few people know this. Then a year later we had a church wedding with all of our friends and family. We'll have been married 9 years (from the elopment) this December and have two darling boys who we take back and forth across the pond to visit their English aunties and cousins.

dln Sep 14th, 2004 05:55 PM

Heck, I never even thought of getting married twice to the same guy in two different countries! That would have been loads of fun. Where was Fodors when I needed it??? LOL!

SandyBrit Sep 14th, 2004 08:31 PM

gelato lover - happy anniversary

I came to the US to check it out after meeting my DH who was in the Air Force and we were married 9 months later. We recently celebrated 41 years together. Where did the time go!

Getting ready to go back to the UK once again the middle of October. It has become easier to make the trip back and forth over the pond due to the low fares that are now offered. I try to go often to see my mum. The journey is now to difficult for her to make to the US.

We also have done well mixing up the English and American bits of our lives. However I do sometimes feel a bit like a fish out of water - not quite fitting in here and when in the UK not quite fitting in there.

mclaurie - happy anniversary tomorrow. Hope by now you have signed up for one of those cheap international phone deals. My current plan is only .10 a minute and I have seen it offered for less.

dln - What are your children's names?

Enjoyed reading this thread.
Sandy

Queenie Sep 14th, 2004 09:16 PM

My mother married her German boyfriend 45 years ago.

I married my Korean boyfriend 18 years ago.

My sister married her Peruvian boyfriend 10 years ago.

I guess it runs in the family....
Its a regular United Nations at holiday time.

lwinokur Sep 14th, 2004 09:30 PM

wow...totally random for me to come accross this post. I just returned from a year of living and working in prague, and while there, I took a short trip to croatia last august, and yes, met an italian. Since we've met, and i was living in prague, it was very easy for me go see him, and vice versa, but now i'm back in the states, and totally heartbroken! He just came to visit last month and left on Tuesday! He was here for 5 weeks, and we travelled the states and just spent quality time together. It's bittersweet. I'm in a position now, where i'm job hunting again around here, and he's there finishing his engineering degree. It's a total crossroad, and i don't know what to make of it! yeah, he'll come to visit again in december, but that's 6 months away! how did you make it last for 2 years? when you moved there were you working? i've been looking for jobs in italy but i don't speak italian! oh i've got so many ???s for you! if easier, my email is [email protected] i'd really love someone to talk to who's been through this. my friends and family think i'm crazy! laurie

GSteed Sep 14th, 2004 11:18 PM

Opportunity. Chance. The Peace Corps had me slated for Zimbabwe. Too old! Next, &quot;How about Poland?&quot;. Eight years ago my Polish PC hostess and I were married. Language difficulties preclude arguments. Daily living is an adventure. I think there are many chances for a US male to find and fall in love and marry a European lady. Signed - A most fortunate traveller.

DeirdreStraughan Sep 14th, 2004 11:21 PM

Married my Italian (met in the US) 15 years ago, also married twice (once for health insurance, once in front of friends and family, both in New Haven) - see http://www.straughan.com/aboutme/how_it_began.htm

Best, D'

parisandelle Sep 15th, 2004 12:35 AM

I married an Englishman in May (in Maui). We met while I was working in Geneva in December 2001. We would pick different European cities to meet up couple of weeks. I moved to England in June 2002 and so far life has continued to be a grand holiday.

So cliche, but love always happens when you are not looking ;-)