Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Chantilly or Fontainebleau (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/chantilly-or-fontainebleau-1662900/)

tuscanlifeedit Jan 24th, 2019 01:03 PM

Chantilly or Fontainebleau

We've been to Versailles (more than once for me), If you prefer Chantilly or Fontainebleau, please tell me why.

StuDudley Jan 24th, 2019 01:10 PM

I prefer Fountainebleau. Lots of stuff to see there, and a there is a tremendous amount of history involved. Chantilly is nice - but the interior seemed more like an art museum than a place where someone really lived.

Stu Dudley

StCirq Jan 24th, 2019 01:45 PM

I agree with Stu. BUT if you visit Chantilly (and it does have the most magnificent gallery of miniature portraits I've ever seen), it's only a hop, skip, and a jump down the road to Senlis, which is magical.

PalenQ Jan 24th, 2019 02:33 PM

Fountainebleu - Versailles light.

Chantilly is neat though - especially the stables, some of largest in Europe and equestrian practice sessions often in chateau's horse arena. So if interested in horse shows along with a neat chateau check out the equestrian shows and stables:

Horse show at Chantilly - Horse - Leisure - Tourism in Chantilly

Zvi Jan 25th, 2019 03:37 AM

I visited both and recommend both. I agree that Chantilly is more a museum than a residency but it is beautiful and very interesting. There is a guided tour only to the private chambers only in french but though my french is very good it was a bit difficult to understand everything. The guide warmly recommended to see the stables but I didn't have enough time for it.

Fontainbleau is hardly lavish or crowded as Versailles but beautiful in itself. I remember some very interesting rooms. I do intend to revisit there, perhaps on my upcoming Parisian tour in May.

Zvi Jan 25th, 2019 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by StCirq (Post 16861751)
I agree with Stu. BUT if you visit Chantilly (and it does have the most magnificent gallery of miniature portraits I've ever seen), it's only a hop, skip, and a jump down the road to Senlis, which is magical.

Could you please elaborate more about Senlis?

tuscanlifeedit Jan 25th, 2019 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Zvi (Post 16862071)
Could you please elaborate more about Senlis?

I would also be interested in how to connect these two in a day from Paris. I've been reading conflicting information and would like to hear from someone who has done this.

StCirq Jan 25th, 2019 07:30 AM

Senlis is a marvelously preserved medieval town - perfect for wandering around for a couple of hours or more along the ramparts or through the warren of narrow old streets. There are Gallo-Roman ruins, a cathedral, a royal palace, and an abbey. The tourist office has free maps with suggested walking tours.

I have driven there from Paris a couple of times, and that was easy, but the one time I took public transportation I bought a ticket to Senlis at the Gare du Nord. The train from the Gare du Nord goes through Chantilly (get off at Gouvieux); then you take a bus to Senlis. If I recall correctly, you can buy a through ticket from the Gare du Nord to Senlis and get off at Chantilly, then continue later on a bus to Senlis. To get back to Paris, you do the reverse, making sure you know the bus and train schedules.

I've done both in a day each time I've gone - it's not a particularly long or tiring day and the variety of things to see is considerable. I only once managed to catch the horse show at the stables in Chantilly, but that time I was driving so did not need to mind schedules.

Christina Jan 25th, 2019 08:38 AM

I think they are just different, I couldn't rank them with the goal that you should see this one but not that one, or that one is "better".

They are having an interesting exhibition at CHantilly until June, items re Franco-American relationships in the 19th Century.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 25th, 2019 09:49 AM

Thank you all. St Cirq, that information is valuable.

PalenQ Jan 25th, 2019 12:44 PM

Chantilly and Senlis (yes wondrous old town) trumps Fontainebleu IMO - never was overly awed by Fotainebleau or at least did not live up to perhaps too high expectations.

kerouac Jan 26th, 2019 07:29 AM

I vote for Chantilly. Not only is the ch teau one of the most amazing art museums in France, but you can also visit the horse museum (don't laugh) which is one of the most incredible sights in the region. I would have never gone there except for the fact that my sister-in-law is a horse enthusiast and she scoped out all of the information before visiting Paris with my brother. I have absolutely no interest in horses, but it was an incredible visit. In fact, I returned this summer with a friend, and it was better than ever since it has just been renovated.

Fontainebleau is fine if you want to see something that sort of looks like Versailles but which is not overrun by tourists.

PalenQ Jan 26th, 2019 10:10 AM

Fontainebleau could also be combined with a look at nearby Barbizon, a former artists' village:

https://www.google.com/search?q=barb...iw=547&bih=526

A bus tour from Paris may include both - on your own take a taxi to Barbizon and then taxi back to nearest train station with trains to Paris.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 26th, 2019 11:47 AM

I prefer art to luxury/opulence and I think Chantilly and Senlis might be better for us. I will now have to work out the connections, as a bus tour from Paris doesn't appeal to us.

I had wanted to visit Auxerre but the train ride is longish for a daytrip. Now I'm thinking Rouen, but it's not much quicker. Too many options!

kerouac Jan 26th, 2019 11:52 AM

The train to Chantilly from Paris is easy. Once you arrive in Chantilly there is a bus to the chateau. This summer I preferred to walk with my friend -- it was a nice walk but long. (With my brother and sister-in-law we had a car.) To go back, we waited for the bus (free). There is one at least every 15 minutes I think.

justineparis Jan 26th, 2019 12:57 PM

Well the interior of Chantilly seems like a museum ... because it IS a museum. The Conde Museum is amazing..

I also love the grounds of Chantilly.. its a must to have a strawberry and Chantilly cream desert in the garden cafe.

I am not a horse person and I found the Horse Museum and seeing the Royal Stables interesting..

PalenQ Jan 26th, 2019 02:01 PM

And the upscale (to me at least) town of Chantilly is a typical French town with lots of cafes to sample yes creme chantilly, the sweet treat presumably created her and usual shopping street - nothing really exceptional but nice to walk thru en route to the chateau - an easy walk of about a mile if I recall correctly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chan...w=1097&bih=536

tuscanlifeedit Jan 26th, 2019 02:34 PM

This is great. We will probably go on March 1, so there won't be that much outdoor activity for us, but it still sounds lovely.

WeisserTee Jan 27th, 2019 05:43 AM

FWIW, we found Senlis a mehhhh experience. Nice enough but there are plenty of other places equally nice or (in our view) much better, although not so close to Chantilly.

kerouac Jan 27th, 2019 05:55 AM

If you have a car, a stop in Senlis is fine, but it is not worth the effort if you have to take the bus. (Senlis is one of quite a few bourgeois towns surrounding Paris that decided that they did not want a train station when rail travel first began to be the rage. They did not want those hoodlums from Paris coming to their town. And now they are paying the price.)