Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Buying Euros in the US (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/buying-euros-in-the-us-214151/)

Michael Snowdon May 5th, 2002 12:53 PM

Buying Euros in the US

My wife wants to get some euro before we go, where is the best place to exchange in US.<BR><BR>Michael

x May 5th, 2002 12:57 PM

there's a booth on the corner of 45 and Main that can handle this. Even gives good rates and a free fanny pack with every $500 exchanged.

Rex May 5th, 2002 01:01 PM

Consider your local American Express office. I wouldn't recommend purchasing more than "about one day's income" before you get to Europe. It's going to cost you about 5% more than if you wait, but convenience and peace of mind is worth something to lots of people.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

kittrdg May 5th, 2002 01:02 PM

Don't buy a lot here - the exchange rate is crap. Wait and get it of your ATM or chargecard when you get to your airport destination.

Bob Brown May 5th, 2002 01:05 PM

Out of interest, I checked the exchange booth at Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta last week. The cashier was selling euro notes for $1.00 per euro. The wholesale rate that day was about 90 cents US for 1 euro. That is a markup of about 10%.<BR>I usually wait, or get at most the minimum that the bank will sell me. !!<BR>

Michael Snowdon May 5th, 2002 01:15 PM

That is interesting while in LAX last week they were selling at 99C to euro and buying at 87c

top May 5th, 2002 02:44 PM

topping<BR>

bettyk May 5th, 2002 02:48 PM

I recently checked 2 different brokers here in Houston -- American Express and Thomas Cook (Travelex) -- as well as www.oanda.com and my local Chase bank. Oanda and my local bank had the best rates. My local bank was able to have the amount of Euros I wanted delivered to my branch bank by the next business day for me to pick up. There was only $2.00 difference if I had gone with Oanda. They could deliver the money to me within 2 business days.

kelsey May 5th, 2002 04:47 PM

Where are there Oanda locations? or is it by mail order?<BR>

xxx May 5th, 2002 05:05 PM

betty, your post is worthless without telling us the rates you were offered. $2.00 difference doesn't mean much if the rate of exchange was already something like 100 euro for $99.00 US.

fc May 5th, 2002 06:02 PM

If you have an account at Citibank, you can order them there for a decent rate.

xxx May 5th, 2002 06:20 PM

What do you consider a decent rate, fc? Apparently 5 to 7 % over cost? A rather expensive proposition if you are getting more than a few euro.

bettyk May 5th, 2002 06:31 PM

Dear unknown one, I purchased my Euro several weeks ago, so the rate is of little consequence today. My point is that there was quite a bit of difference in the rates from the brokers, but not much difference between my bank and buying thru Oanda online. And, I believe the purchase was for $200 dollars because that is the minimum for Oanda.

Christina May 5th, 2002 07:40 PM

Since no independent person can get euros "at cost", 5-7% over bank rate is not that expensive. YOu can't get them for less than about 1-2% over bank rate at minimum and many people pay more than that when using an ATM due to the ATM fees (which range from about 2-5% of the amount if you get $100). Since many people like to have about equivalent of USD100 upon arrival -- gosh, that's an excess expenditure of about $2-4 !!!!!! over using an ATM. Such an expensive proposition, better cancel the trip for another year. xxx is a good description of your thinking.

jmh Oct 7th, 2002 08:36 AM

"You can't get them for less than about 1-2% over bank rate at minimum..." Where do you get this rate????