Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bullfighting, Flamenco in Andalusia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bullfighting-flamenco-in-andalusia-1662993/)

rmgood Jan 27th, 2019 06:35 AM

Bullfighting, Flamenco in Andalusia

This May my wife and I will be staying in Cordova, Seville, Rhonda, Marbella, and Granada while exploring Andalusia. Which of these towns would be the best place to see a bullfight? A Flamenco show?

Thanks in advance for your input.

KarenWoo Jan 27th, 2019 07:28 AM

I recommend Seville for a flamenco show!

Nelson Jan 27th, 2019 08:15 AM

We saw fantastic on-your-feet-cheering flamenco at El Quinque in Ronda and Arte y Sabores in Cordoba. In Granada we went to one of the Sacromonte gypsy cave shows, Venta El Gallo. It was and fun and better than expectations, based on reviews, but I wouldn't make that a first choice just for flamenco. (Disclaimer: we are tourists with no particular knowledge of the art.)

In Ronda we toured the bullring, which was well worth it, but intentionally avoided going anywhere near an actual bullfight.. They were out of season in any case.

kja Jan 27th, 2019 08:17 AM

For flamenco, search this board for old posts by kimhe (perhaps using google with the key words "fodors" "flamenco" "kimhe".

Nelson Jan 27th, 2019 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by kja (Post 16863310)
For flamenco, search this board for old posts by kimhe

Our Cordoba show was recommended by, and had the "kimhe seal of approval". He's disappeared from Fordors but was a great resource for all things Spain. Robert is no longer around either it seems.

Oh, and our Ronda show included singer Sara Holgado who apparently just won in a big international flamenco competition.

Robert2016 Jan 27th, 2019 02:11 PM

Bullfighting and Flamenco

The main bullfighting season in Spain typically begins in February, but there were bullfights today (novilladas) in the Plaza de San Javier (Murcia) and in Ajalvir (Madrid) during La Feria de San Blas. There will also be bullfights in Valdemorillo (Madrid) in early February for the La Feria de San Blas. On February 23 there will be bullfights in Vistalegre (Madrid), and Rejones (bullfighting from horseback) in Arzacq (Pyrénées-Atlantiques) on the 24th. The bullfights (novilladas) in Ciudad Rodrigo (Salamanca) are on Saturday, March 2. Bullfights for the rest of the season have not been announced, but there are bullfights at nearly every festival in Spain.

If you're going to be in Córdoba in early May, then the Patios Festival, "Fiesta de los Patios", takes place during the first week.
Cordoba 24 Patio Fest - Fiesta de los Patios 2019

joan Jan 28th, 2019 10:44 AM

For flamenco in Sevilla,go to the tiny theater inside the Triana Market (walkable, just across the river) and pick up tickets for a flamenco performance - we went at 11 AM and picked up tickets for the same evening at 6 PM. Intimate, beautiful, 20 or so velvet seats tucked away inside a tiny stall. And the market is a must-see.
In Ronda (we loved Ronda!) go to the Ronda Guitar House near the bullring and pick up tickets for the evening performance. It is more of a demonstration by the owner of the two types of guitar, Spanish and flamenco. He beautifully illustrates the difference. Small venue and lovely owners, and bonus: you can enjoy a glass of local Ronda wine during the concert..
https://casalateatro.com/
https://rondaguitarhouse.com/

PS Our best air bnb EVER was in Ronda. Let me know if you'd like the link.

ekscrunchy Feb 2nd, 2019 11:31 AM

For aficionados of flamenco, I highly recommend the film, CAMARON, on Netflix. This is the story of Camron de la Isla, from outside Cadiz, who transformed the genre in the 60s and 70s. The film is a marvelous portrayal of the subject and his rise from a poor barrio to the heights, with insights into the gitano culture, Spain at this point in its history, and terrific music and singing from Camaron and his long-time partner Paco de Lucia. Incredible voice, never to be forgotten.

joan Feb 2nd, 2019 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy (Post 16866824)
For aficionados of flamenco, I highly recommend the film, CAMARON, on Netflix. This is the story of Camron de la Isla, from outside Cadiz, who transformed the genre in the 60s and 70s. The film is a marvelous portrayal of the subject and his rise from a poor barrio to the heights, with insights into the gitano culture, Spain at this point in its history, and terrific music and singing from Camaron and his long-time partner Paco de Lucia. Incredible voice, never to be forgotten.

Thank you I will check it out!

Fra_Diavolo Feb 2nd, 2019 01:42 PM

Paco de Lucia's piece dedicated to the memory of Camaron:

kja Feb 2nd, 2019 05:21 PM

@ Fra_Diavolo: What a wonderful piece. Thank you very much for posting the link!

bilboburgler Feb 3rd, 2019 05:50 AM

biting tongue over bullfighting

PalenQ Feb 3rd, 2019 10:16 AM

not biting tongue over bullfighting which is pure animal abuse and torture - sticking those large sticks in the bull - blood coming out - then the final kill and blood gushes from the poor animal's mouth. Bring a picnic and enjoy! That said seeing such a grizzly scene once I guess can be understood - like the one I went to that turned me off so much. Catalonia has banned bull-fighting as has the rest of the bull-fighting world - at least where bulls are put to death.