Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   books or movies set in European cities (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/books-or-movies-set-in-european-cities-488319/)

agb526 Nov 29th, 2004 12:37 PM

books or movies set in European cities

I just finished reading "Mapping the Edge" which took place in Florence, London, and Amsterdam and also saw the movies "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset" set in Vienna and Paris respectively.

I feel like I got a real taste of these cities (and a desire to visit them!) from the book and movies.

Any other suggestions for novels or films set in European cities?

Infotrack Nov 29th, 2004 12:43 PM

If you can wait, "The DeVinci Code" will be made into a movie relatively soon (in the next couple of years, I understand).

Tom Hanks has already been pegged for the lead role, and Jean Reno is a possible for the French dective.

--Marv
PS: I have not yet read it, so don't give anything important away

Michel_Paris Nov 29th, 2004 01:35 PM

French Kiss is always a favorite, Paris, Nice, and Provence....making wine with Meg Ryan...not a bad dream. I actually went out and bought some wine made at the vineyard in the movie...

martytravels Nov 29th, 2004 01:42 PM

L'Auberge Espagnole, gives a great view and feel for Barcelona, with a little Paris thrown in at the beginning and end of the movie.
Bourne Identity does the Paris car chase thing as well as any movie. The sequel Bourne Supremacy does the same for Berlin.
Amelie has great shots all over Paris, as does The Truth About Charlie, which gives a much better look at multicultural Paris and some off-the-beaten track parts of the city, like the Clingancourt flea market.
Km 0 is a fun sex comedy set in Madrid, with great shots from the Puerta del Sol.

jame Nov 29th, 2004 07:51 PM

One of my all time favorite European city movies is Summertime, which was made in 1955 and stars Katharine Hepburn. It takes place in Venice and it is like a travelogue.

fehgeddaboudit Nov 29th, 2004 10:11 PM

Ronin. DeNiro. France.

JanePost Nov 29th, 2004 10:18 PM

- The films with the Olsen twins
- Under the Tascan Sun

SidB Nov 29th, 2004 10:27 PM

That's a bit like asking for places where films have been made in the USA. What type of film are you interested in, period drama for example ?

Jackie_in_Italy Nov 30th, 2004 01:58 AM

I love Ronin too.

One of my other favorite setting movies is Pane e Tulipani (Bread and Tulips) which takes place in Venice--but you get to see the Venice where people actually live, which is much different. Another one by the same director (which I am not sure if it is out yet in America) is Agata e la Tempesta (Agatha and the Storm) which takes place in Genova and the Ligurian coast.

And, while I realize this is not a European film, my favorite setting movie of all time is still Manhattan, which turns New York into a true character.

Books--read "A Moveable Feast." by Hemmingway. Takes place in Paris.

JulieVikmanis Nov 30th, 2004 02:58 AM

Michael-Paris, what is the name of the wine from the vineyard in the movie French Kiss? I have traveling friends who are addicted to that movie and it would make a great gift for them. Thanks.

ira Nov 30th, 2004 07:52 AM

"Roman Holiday" - Rome
"Charade" - Paris
"Daddy Longlegs" - Paris and surrounding countryside

All with Audrey Hepburn and various actors.

zee123 Nov 30th, 2004 08:06 AM

How about Only You set partially in Positano, Italy with Robert Downey Jr
Entertaining very light comedy

erinkath Nov 30th, 2004 08:16 AM

For movies - Stealing Beauty and The Talented Mr. Ripley

For Books - Peter Mayle's books on Provence and Iain Pears little art history mysteries

eliztrav Nov 30th, 2004 08:31 AM

ONLY YOU is a light 3-fer, romping through Venice, Rome and Positano.

Three Coins in the Fountain (now out on DVD) is set in Rome.

sirius77 Dec 20th, 2004 11:11 PM

Amelie was set in Paris and it's a wonderful movie.

laverendrye Dec 21st, 2004 01:59 AM

Ira, I think you have confused "Daddy Long Legs", which stars Leslie Caron, with "Funny Face", which is an Audrey Hepburn film. Both, of course, feature Fred Astaire and are set in Paris.

jmw44 Dec 21st, 2004 04:47 AM

Hello agb526 et al, Can you tell me a bit about "Mapping the Edge"? And does anyone know the name of the town from "French Kiss" that Meg Ryan thinks is "beautiful!" Trivia, but I've always wondered. Thanks all, J.

SharonNRayMc Dec 21st, 2004 05:12 AM

I'll recommend a real pageturner set in Barcelona: <u>The Shadow of the Wind</u> by Carlos Ruis Zafron.

Here are some reviews to read... many thanks to Ira for teaching me how to make a shorter link.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z1EE2131A

Once on this page, you will be redirected to the book reviews on Amazon.com.

Now, I'll let you in on a little secret. I ordered the book for my husband as a Christmas gift. (It was on his list.) Then, over the weekend he was asking about the book at a bookstore, and the salesclerk said they can't keep enough copies on the shelf. So, yesterday when the book arrived, I wrapped it with a book cover made from Christmas paper like we do while in school and promptly started reading it. I should finish before Christmas.

- Sharon

Michel_Paris Dec 21st, 2004 06:37 AM

jmw,
I've found out that the cafe scene (Luc fighting with his brother) was filmed in Valbonne, Alpes-Maritimes...the town website has a panorama of the town square..I'm also interested in that other town...still researching..

ezlivin Dec 21st, 2004 06:42 AM

Going with Ronin, too. De Niro in the Arles Arena/Colisseum.