Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best buy option for Jungfrau pass (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-buy-option-for-jungfrau-pass-1071595/)

bhaveen_thakkar Sep 12th, 2015 03:10 AM

Best buy option for Jungfrau pass

Hi All,
I am planning a four day trip to Jungfrau region. I am a bit confused between BO pass or Jungfrau VIP pass. Also, wanted to know buying options. I prefer to buy physical pass instead of voucher and redeem the voucher at station (Basically I do not want to try my luck)

Please help me in buying options..
Thanks in advance for your help.

Bhavin.

PalenQ Sep 12th, 2015 04:52 AM

You can buy either pass at any train station in the areas covered - no need to advance purchase just show up and buy.

BO pass covers a much wider area but does not give as much coverage- full coverage I believe in the Jungfrau Area - if going to Bern or Lucerne then the BO pass may be better - if not the Jungfrau Pass may be better - each one is fairly pricey so you must be doing some expensive train trips or gondola rides.

For lots of info on Swiss trains and pass check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

If going to other areas of Switzerland the Swiss Pass may be best and covers many things in the Jungfrau Region and BO.

bhaveen_thakkar Sep 12th, 2015 09:21 AM

Hi PalenQ,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I am planning to buy Jungfrau VIP pass.
I checked on www.myswissalps.com, ACP rail offer inexpensive price for that pass.

But I do not know the price if I buy the pass at railway station.

Could you guide me on the same..

Regards,
Bhavin

neckervd Sep 14th, 2015 08:25 AM

The Jungfrau VIP Pass (270 USD)is hardly a bargain as people will have to pay full fare from the airport/border to Interlaken (or from Muerren to Schilthorn) and half fare from Wengen/Grindelwald to Maennlichen.

joan Sep 14th, 2015 08:52 AM

Am doing the same trip - research (and help here) pointed me to a Swiss Transfer (which covers border to destination and destination back to any border), and includes a "half fare card" that gives half fare on any fun train travel while you're there. Total was $222 pp.

PalenQ Sep 14th, 2015 10:07 AM

But I do not know the price if I buy the pass at railway station.>

Get the local price for the Jungfrau VIP pass online - ACP may have a mailing fee too if not an e-ticket. But yes check the Swiss Transfer ticket as perhaps being an overall cheaper option unless taking just about every conveyance covered by the Jungfraubahn VIP pass - it could be your best deal - see joan's post above. $222 and she got a trip from any airport or border point to anyplace in Switzerland and then out to any airport or border station and then you get half-off everything for the days in between - even the pricey Jungfraubahn. If you want to talk to someone expert who sells those passes (and is an agent of ACP Rail too) call Byron at www.budgeteuropetravel.com - I've bought various passes from him for years and he will answer all your questions even if not buying IME).

bhaveen_thakkar Sep 17th, 2015 03:26 AM

Thank you guys for your reply. I agree with neckervd that it is hardly a bargain. Also as Koen suggested 'half face card' is good option of you really staying long in Switzerland and travelling a lot. But in my case, I would like to have a small trip near to Interlaken and want to cover Jungfraujoch.
Thanks PalenQ, I will go through the website and try to figure out the best option..

PalenQ Sep 17th, 2015 08:57 AM

The Swiss Transfer Ticket may be your best option along with the half-off Half-Off Card you can buy with the Swiss Transfer Ticket. I believe this ticket is not sold in Switzerland but not sure. Take any train from any border or airport to anyplace in Switzerland - like Murren and then one back to any airport or border point. joan's post tells what she paid for it.

neckervd Sep 18th, 2015 01:46 AM

Palen is right: neither the Swiss Transfer ticket nor the add on Swiss Half Fare Card Combi can be bought within Switzerland