Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Beginning plans for a trip to Italy - which cities do we NEED to see? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/beginning-plans-for-a-trip-to-italy-which-cities-do-we-need-to-see-794566/)

ashley3 Jul 9th, 2009 04:59 AM

Beginning plans for a trip to Italy - which cities do we NEED to see?

Hi, all - My boyfriend and I are just beginning to make plans for a trip to Italy next summer and we could use some help.

First question - when should we go? I know it's best to avoid summer months, but I work for a private school and it is best for me to travel mid-June through mid-August. Would early or late summer be better?

Second question - which cities do we need to see?! Neither of us have ever been to Italy, so we are definitely up for traveling all around - no relaxation necessary this trip. We hope to spend about two weeks traveling. I studied art history in college, so I absolutely need to spend a few days in Florence, but we don't need to make the entire trip about museum/cathedral hopping. We would also love to spend a few days near the water - Capri, Sardinia, and Lake Como have all come up. Some suggestions on which cities should be at the top of our list would be really helpful during the beginning stage of our planning!

Thank you!!!

patsy214 Jul 9th, 2009 05:13 AM

As far as the time to go I went the last two weeks of June and it was great. Not too crowded and not too hot. I would suggest to surely spend a couple of days in Florence it is so beautiful and educational. If you can avoid Rome do so. I didn't have a great experience there. I found the city dirty, (this comes from a New Yorker) noisy, and the people rude. I would also recommend once in Florence maybe a side trip to Siena and San Gimignano you won't regret it. They are what Italy is all about.

Viajero2 Jul 9th, 2009 05:13 AM

Spring break is your best bet. Second choice: early summer. Plan for max of three home bases, I think you already have selected: Florence, Lake Como Region, Rome. Since you are done with that, start drafting a daily itinerary which should help you decide what airport(s) to fly in/out. Something like Days 1-4 Rome, Train to Florence Days 5-9, rent a car head out to Lake Como (more research obviously), depart from Milan (MXP). There is your start :-D

bardo1 Jul 9th, 2009 05:24 AM

Viajero2 has a good starting point and it's an efficient, workable itinerary.

Even if you change destinations, you should fiollow the same atee: maximum 3 different places, cities/waterside mix, open-jaw flight.

Rome is ten times the size/population of Florence and has a similar increase in the number of tourists sites, but four nights in Florence is by no means too long if that is where your interests lie.

There is also water in and near Venice if you want to do the ever popular Rome-Florence-Venice open-jaw thing.

Capri and Sardinia are more remote and would eat into your two weeks considerably.

bardo1 Jul 9th, 2009 05:26 AM

<i>Even if you change destinations, you should follow the same TEMPLATE: maximum 3 different places, cities/waterside mix, open-jaw flight</i>

Note to self: preview, preview, preview!!!

Dayle Jul 9th, 2009 05:41 AM

patsy,

Just because you didn't like Rome is no reason to tell people to avoid it. Many people LOVE Rome. Everyone's likes and dislikes are differnent. This is just one of the thing travel should teach you.

ellenem Jul 9th, 2009 05:47 AM

I am also from NYC and did not have the same impressions as Patsy. Yes, dirty at time like any large city, but also plenty of people sweeping and scrubbing their front doorsills each morning. Yes, noisy like any large city, but also moments of supreme peace on a narrow side street or touring a less-visited sight. Rude people? You will find them everywhere if you look for them, but I can't recall any.

Fra_Diavolo Jul 9th, 2009 05:48 AM

Or you might consider Florence -- Rome -- Positano/Capri, flying into Pisa or Florence, and out of Naples.

ira Jul 9th, 2009 05:52 AM

Hi Ash,

I would fly into Florence, then to the Lakes and leave from Venice or Milan, or the reverse.
5 nights Florence (visit Sienna and/or San Gimignano), 4 nights at the lake, 4 nights Venice.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

bobthenavigator Jul 9th, 2009 06:25 AM

I would plan 3 trips in advance since you will return. We are going back for our 15th trip and still have not seen it all. Here are some samples to consider:
BOB the NAVIGATOR’S FAVORITE ITALY ITINERARIES

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3827

1. BELLA ITALIA: Five destinations in 15 days—car & train travel
* Arrive in Milan[MXP] & depart from Venice[VCE]or vice versa.
* Itinerary to include the Italian Lakes, Ligurian coast, rural
Tuscany, Florence, & Venice. Suggested timing is 3-2-4-2-4.
* Option: Drop the coast & rent a villa in Tuscany[ 3-7-2-3].
* Best time to go: May & June or Sept. & Oct.

2. LA DOLCE VITA: Three destinations in 12 to 14 days-car & train
* Arrival & departure from Rome[ FCO] or arrival in Naples
* Itinerary to include Rome, the Amalfi coast, and Tuscany
* Best time to go: Easter to end of October
* Option: Fly into Naples & stay at 2 locations on the coast

3. CLASSIC ITALIA: Three destinations in 12 to 14 days-car & train
* Arrival & departure from Rome—may start trip in Florence
* Destinations to include Florence, Rome & Tuscany/Umbria
* Best time to go: Anytime, but May & Oct. are my favorites
* Option: Consider a weekly rental in Tuscany/Umbria

4. SICILIAN CHARMS: Five destinations in 15 days—car travel
* Connections to Catania & Palermo via Rome or gateway city.
* Itinerary to include Taormina, Siracusa, Palermo & more.
* Best time to go: March to November—May is best for flowers
* See: http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=634

5. THE VILLAGE SAMPLER: My favorite venues for those who enjoy natural beauty and quaint, small villages. Arranged north to south.
* Arrive Milan & depart Rome—car travel-- 3 nites per location
* Itinerary to include Lago Orta, Castelrotto/ Ortisei[Dolomites],
Portovenere[Liguria], Montalcino[Tuscany], & Spello[Umbria].
* Best time to go: May to October for the lakes and Dolomites
* Option: Pick 3 out of 5 and stay longer in Tuscany/Umbria.

tejana Jul 9th, 2009 06:40 AM

I would do the classic Rome-Venice-Florence tour. We liked Rome much more than we expected to, and have returned for long weekends in recent years to just explore the city a bit more. The Borghese Gallery in Rome is my favorite museum in the world, and I absolutely love the smaller churches there as well as the baths. Venice must be experienced from inside the city to be really appreciated (meaning don't stay outside of the city and day-trip in), but when you "get it" it is completely magical. Florence is a requirement from the art history perspective, but after a couple of days in Venice the noise of the vespas will drive you completely crazy. Our first trip was 2 weeks - 4 days Rome, 2 days Venice, 3 days Florence, and then we rented a car and wandered through Tuscany and Umbria for a week before returning to the Rome airport. The second part of that trip was our favorite because we had already done the "requirements" and were just exploring beautiful hilltowns while experiencing fabulous food and wine. If I had it to do again I would probably add another day in Venice (even if it meant taking a day away from Tuscany), but otherwise we thought the mix was perfect.

Viajero2 Jul 9th, 2009 07:19 AM

I only fell in love with Rome after my third visit....but I was determined :-D....if you go to Italy and have an opportunity to go to Rome, DO IT.

There are a few places on this planet that nobody should ever advised against visiting....Rome is one of them. One of those places YOU have to make your own mind....

sherhatfield Jul 9th, 2009 11:36 AM

<There are a few places on this planet that nobody should ever advised against visiting....Rome is one of them.>

I agree with viajero2 - Rome is my favorite place on earth!

LoveItaly Jul 9th, 2009 11:54 AM

Some visitors don't like Milan, some don't like Venice, some don't like Florence, some don't like Lucca, some don't like Rome and so forth and so on.

I would always suggest that a traveller check out some travel guide books from their local library and review them and decide for themselves what interest them. One person's experience is not going to be the next person's experience. For example family members travelled from the westcoast of the US to England, took the train to Paris and some where else in France, took the train to Italy and spent a day or two in Turin, Venice, Florence and ended up in Rome. They had a total of three weeks. All during the very hot month of August. They had teenagers with them and an elderly family member who needed a lot of attention and care. By the time they got to Rome they hated, and I mean hated Rome. No doubt. They were totally exhausted, it was very hot and humid, their stupid TA reserved rooms for them somewhere around the Vatican and they only had three days in Rome. And, again thanks to their stupid TA, they had to take the train back to London to fly home. Sooooo, their opinion of Rome is that "it is horrible". I am sure I would have thought so too considering their horrible itinerary.

BigRuss Jul 9th, 2009 12:19 PM

Oh for gawsh sakes, how the heck can we tell you where you must go? Be reasonable.

In response to some comments above: Rome is one of the world's great cities. I don't care how noisy or dirty it may be. Venice has its own peculiar odor at times, and it is also one of the world's great cities. Barcelona has petty theft, New York has panhandling, blah blah blah. Still great cities.

From an art history geek perspective, don't overlook Venice. The Doge's Palace alone could keep you enthralled for days.

And if you end up going to Florence, take a detour to Siena because it has the best Duomo in Italy.

Luisah Jul 9th, 2009 12:48 PM

Dirty or not, Rome is a great city and I suggest you spend a couple of days there and then go on to a water site. I think a person who studied art history would enjoy seeing the Vatican Museums and the Borghese Gallery, not to mention St Peter's Basilica.

<<some don't like Lucca>>> I've never met anyone who didn't like Lucca. But although I love Lucca, I don't think the OP should consider if for a first trip to Italy.

Weather is always iffy, but when I was in Italy in August it was hot. If I had to go in June or August, I'd take June.

JAX9000 Jul 9th, 2009 12:57 PM

If you can, go to Assisi. I'm not catholic but the overall atmosphere/arechitecture of the city are wonderful.
The region south of Naples (Positano, Amalfi, Sorrento, Capri and Pompeii) is worthwile although not as loaded with must sees as Rome Florence and Venice.
And yes, Rome is great.

bobthenavigator Jul 9th, 2009 01:21 PM

so, where is Ashley, the OP?