Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   are Euros passe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-euros-passe-1664228/)

lauramsgarden Feb 28th, 2019 06:28 PM

are Euros passe?

Our trip this summer to Denmark, Norway and Sweden is coming together (Tak everyone for your help). I'm noticing that hotel prices seem to be listed in the local currency - Swedish Krone, Danish Kronar, etc. Are euros not accepted in Scandinavia? Will we need to get local currency in each country? thanks

kja Feb 28th, 2019 06:50 PM

It would seem that you are confusing Europe with the Eurozone. Denmark, Norway, and Sweden do not use (and so far as I know, have never used) the euro.
https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-the-euro-3305928

Please consider getting a good guidebook or two!

Odin Feb 28th, 2019 09:53 PM

Euros are not passé, they are simply not the currency of all countries in Europe. Sweden, Denmark & Norway use the krona and there is the Danish krona, Swedish krona and Norwegian krona, 3 separate currencies. Sweden is virtually cashless as is most of Scandinavia,*credit card is accepted almost everywhere, so no need to withdraw local currency for*each country.

Tulips Feb 28th, 2019 10:20 PM

I spend 4 days in Sweden recently without using any cash. Even the restroom in the department store could be paid with a card. Some places do not take cash.
So get a very small amount of local currency at the airport when you arrive (if you like) and use cards for everything.

nanabee Mar 1st, 2019 01:08 PM

I agree you won't need the local currency in Sweden or Norway, as they are pretty much cashless and accept Credit Cards for every purchase no matter how small.

jc_uk Mar 1st, 2019 11:48 PM

Would you expect to be able to pay for something in the US with Mexican Pesos? Or Canadian Dollars? Of course not, therefore expect to use the currency of the country that you're visiting.

I've even read several posts on other forums where some people were shocked when their US dollars were not accepted in a restaurant in Italy or a shop in Germany!

bilboburgler Mar 2nd, 2019 02:09 AM

Yes, please send all your un-used Euros in a brown envelope to me.

lauramsgarden Mar 2nd, 2019 05:46 AM

euros in scandanavia

Hey ya'll no need to be snarky - twas honest confusion. Euros have been used in every other country I've visited in Europe, so I was just trying to understand. I thought that if countries were part of the EU they would use Euro's but now I know better. Too bad, I do have some left over (and no Bilbo burglar, you don't get to have them (: ) thanks

kerouac Mar 2nd, 2019 05:57 AM

Sweden is committed to using the euro "some day" but no date is set. Norway will be obliged to use the euro if it joins the EU. Only Denmark opted out of the euro from the start, but it can change its mind in the future.

StCirq Mar 2nd, 2019 08:29 AM

Euros passé? What planet do you live on? They're just not the currency of the countries you're visiting. Helloooooooo!!!

Heimdall Mar 2nd, 2019 11:30 AM

Norway join the EU? Not likely!

jc_uk Mar 3rd, 2019 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by lauramsgarden (Post 16881139)
Hey ya'll no need to be snarky - twas honest confusion. Euros have been used in every other country I've visited in Europe, so I was just trying to understand. I thought that if countries were part of the EU they would use Euro's but now I know better.

I don't see much snarkiness but surely a basic bit of research into where you're visiting isn't too much to be expected is it? Why assume that every country in the EU uses the Euro? Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden, and the United Kingdom are all in the EU but don't use the Euro as currency.

nanabee Mar 3rd, 2019 04:57 AM

>Of course not, therefore expect to use the currency of the country that you're visiting.>

I've used US Dollars in Baja California, Mexico.

thursdaysd Mar 3rd, 2019 05:06 AM

And I've used them in Cambodia, but those are the exceptions that prove the rule. I believe you can also use them (and probably euros too) in a number of cruise ports, but you'll be rooked on the exchange rate.

jc_uk Mar 3rd, 2019 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by nanabee (Post 16881527)
I've used US Dollars in Baja California, Mexico.

Where, Tijuana? Simply because someone from a place that borders the US accepted your dollars, presumably at a disadvantageous rate to you, doesn't mean that it is ok to expect to use different currency in the country you are visiting. Try spending those dollars in Oaxaca or Jalisco. There will always be places along national borders where the currency between the two countries will be accepted because it's relatively easy to spend that currency if you pop over to the border, US/Canada for example. That's completely different to going to Italy and expecting to pay your restaurant bill in US$.

nanabee Mar 3rd, 2019 05:11 AM

I was just speaking to DH and we both have a vague recollection from years back that some places in Italy would accept US dollars but the price was higher than if you paid in Euros. But, yes she will need to pay in the currency of the country she is in. I think she gets it.

angie7911922 Mar 4th, 2019 08:38 PM

Use your credit card. Then you won't need to worry about the currency. There are many different currencies across Europe.

kerouac Mar 4th, 2019 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Heimdall (Post 16881255)
Norway join the EU? Not likely!

Nobody in the EU really wants Norway to join because it already follows all EU regulations, pays into the EU budget but doesn't do any of that annoying voting stuff.