are Euros passe?

Search

are Euros passe?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are Euros passe?

Our trip this summer to Denmark, Norway and Sweden is coming together (Tak everyone for your help). I'm noticing that hotel prices seem to be listed in the local currency - Swedish Krone, Danish Kronar, etc. Are euros not accepted in Scandinavia? Will we need to get local currency in each country? thanks
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 06:50 PM
kja

It would seem that you are confusing Europe with the Eurozone. Denmark, Norway, and Sweden do not use (and so far as I know, have never used) the euro.
https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-the-euro-3305928

Please consider getting a good guidebook or two!
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 09:53 PM

Euros are not passé, they are simply not the currency of all countries in Europe. Sweden, Denmark & Norway use the krona and there is the Danish krona, Swedish krona and Norwegian krona, 3 separate currencies. Sweden is virtually cashless as is most of Scandinavia,*credit card is accepted almost everywhere, so no need to withdraw local currency for*each country.
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 10:20 PM

I spend 4 days in Sweden recently without using any cash. Even the restroom in the department store could be paid with a card. Some places do not take cash.
So get a very small amount of local currency at the airport when you arrive (if you like) and use cards for everything.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 01:08 PM

I agree you won't need the local currency in Sweden or Norway, as they are pretty much cashless and accept Credit Cards for every purchase no matter how small.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 11:48 PM

Would you expect to be able to pay for something in the US with Mexican Pesos? Or Canadian Dollars? Of course not, therefore expect to use the currency of the country that you're visiting.

I've even read several posts on other forums where some people were shocked when their US dollars were not accepted in a restaurant in Italy or a shop in Germany!
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 02:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, please send all your un-used Euros in a brown envelope to me.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

euros in scandanavia

Hey ya'll no need to be snarky - twas honest confusion. Euros have been used in every other country I've visited in Europe, so I was just trying to understand. I thought that if countries were part of the EU they would use Euro's but now I know better. Too bad, I do have some left over (and no Bilbo burglar, you don't get to have them ) thanks
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 05:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Sweden is committed to using the euro "some day" but no date is set. Norway will be obliged to use the euro if it joins the EU. Only Denmark opted out of the euro from the start, but it can change its mind in the future.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 08:29 AM

Euros passé? What planet do you live on? They're just not the currency of the countries you're visiting. Helloooooooo!!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 11:30 AM

Norway join the EU? Not likely!
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by lauramsgarden
Hey ya'll no need to be snarky - twas honest confusion. Euros have been used in every other country I've visited in Europe, so I was just trying to understand. I thought that if countries were part of the EU they would use Euro's but now I know better.
I don't see much snarkiness but surely a basic bit of research into where you're visiting isn't too much to be expected is it? Why assume that every country in the EU uses the Euro? Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden, and the United Kingdom are all in the EU but don't use the Euro as currency.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 04:57 AM

>Of course not, therefore expect to use the currency of the country that you're visiting.>

I've used US Dollars in Baja California, Mexico.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And I've used them in Cambodia, but those are the exceptions that prove the rule. I believe you can also use them (and probably euros too) in a number of cruise ports, but you'll be rooked on the exchange rate.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by nanabee
I've used US Dollars in Baja California, Mexico.
Where, Tijuana? Simply because someone from a place that borders the US accepted your dollars, presumably at a disadvantageous rate to you, doesn't mean that it is ok to expect to use different currency in the country you are visiting. Try spending those dollars in Oaxaca or Jalisco. There will always be places along national borders where the currency between the two countries will be accepted because it's relatively easy to spend that currency if you pop over to the border, US/Canada for example. That's completely different to going to Italy and expecting to pay your restaurant bill in US$.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 05:11 AM

I was just speaking to DH and we both have a vague recollection from years back that some places in Italy would accept US dollars but the price was higher than if you paid in Euros. But, yes she will need to pay in the currency of the country she is in. I think she gets it.
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 08:38 PM

Use your credit card. Then you won't need to worry about the currency. There are many different currencies across Europe.
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 09:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Heimdall
Norway join the EU? Not likely!
Nobody in the EU really wants Norway to join because it already follows all EU regulations, pays into the EU budget but doesn't do any of that annoying voting stuff.