Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Any suggestions for a 9-day trip with my husband? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-suggestions-for-a-9-day-trip-with-my-husband-280731/)

Tina Dec 20th, 2002 11:32 AM

Any suggestions for a 9-day trip with my husband?

It will be his first time in Europe and my third. I want us to have enough time in each place to really "feel" the culture. Although I was thinking London, Paris and Brussels, I would love to venture out to some lesser touristy areas. Any suggestions? I think we're definitely flying into London.

Debbie Dec 20th, 2002 11:36 AM

Well - <BR>If you really want to get a &quot;feel&quot; for the culture, I would cut down to 2 cities. Maybe 5 days in London ( use 2 or 3 to do day trips by train?) and then 4 in either Paris or Brussels. <BR><BR>Otherwise, you will have 3 (or less after moving from city to city) in each spot. Not much time to relax and soak it all in. <BR>

SA Dec 20th, 2002 12:00 PM

The London/Paris combo would be easiest. If you take the ferry over to France why not include Normandy in your trip plans. It is right on the way. If you prefer Brussels. W/the ferry you could hit Oostende &amp; Brugges, again right on the way to Brussels. In my opinion Brussels isn't worth more than an overnight stay anyway.

elaine Dec 20th, 2002 12:56 PM

Do you have to return to London to fly home?<BR><BR>If not, arrive in London, spend 4-5 days, fly to Paris, return home from Paris. <BR><BR>Alternatively, fly into London, take a couple of daytrips to charming places like Bath, or Windsor, or Oxford etc, and/or you could include a 2 day visit to Edinburgh or York, or a 2-3 day sidetrip to Paris, returning to London for your flight home.

Rose Dec 20th, 2002 01:35 PM

I know that you are interested in staying in the northern part of Europe but I highly recommend the Amalfi Coast in Italy. It is so beautiful and Romantic. Only 3hr train south to Rome! I would say to stay in Sorrento at the Hotel Ambasciatori ( a little expensive at 240 per night but so worth it!) and take boat day trips into the islands of Positano and Capri.<BR><BR>If you are set on the North try to take the TGV down to Avignon, France and do some wine tasting!

Lech Walesa Dec 20th, 2002 02:59 PM

You can not possibly feel the culture of Europe without a week or more in Poland.<BR>

Konstandinos Simitis Dec 20th, 2002 07:33 PM

You must include Greece.<BR><BR>

Sjoerd Dec 21st, 2002 12:12 AM

To really &quot;feel&quot; a culture, you would have to leave the big cities you are mentioning. All big cities are more or less international in &quot;feel&quot; these days. Go to Paris, spend 4 days there, rent a car and drive west to the Loire region, east to Alsace, or South for Bourgogne for the other 5 days.

Jorge Sampaio Dec 21st, 2002 02:09 AM

You wouldn't really think of leaving out Portugal, would you?<BR>

Mary McAleese Dec 21st, 2002 09:03 AM

Everything you seek is in Ireland, just much more alive.<BR>

Ira Dec 21st, 2002 11:42 AM

Hi Tina,<BR> If you really want to do more than just be able to say &quot;I was there&quot;, nine days is about right for one place.<BR> We have been to London and to Paris many times and have not yet really seen them.<BR> Since it is your husband's first time to Europe, my suggestion is go to Paris and plan day trips from there.<BR>

xyz Dec 21st, 2002 05:31 PM

Since it is your husband's first time to Europe, my suggestion is go to Liechtenstein, the Ticino and the Dolomites.

A Dec 23rd, 2002 11:02 AM

Paris for 3-4 days. Then any village near Perigeux(sp?)in the Dordogne Valley. It is the epitome of what we think of when we think of the French countryside. If you want more info, pls feel free to email me.

Holland Dec 23rd, 2002 06:30 PM

Holland. holland. holland.<BR>