Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for a 9-day trip with my husband?

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Tina

It will be his first time in Europe and my third. I want us to have enough time in each place to really "feel" the culture. Although I was thinking London, Paris and Brussels, I would love to venture out to some lesser touristy areas. Any suggestions? I think we're definitely flying into London.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Debbie

Well -
If you really want to get a "feel" for the culture, I would cut down to 2 cities. Maybe 5 days in London ( use 2 or 3 to do day trips by train?) and then 4 in either Paris or Brussels.

Otherwise, you will have 3 (or less after moving from city to city) in each spot. Not much time to relax and soak it all in.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:00 PM
SA

The London/Paris combo would be easiest. If you take the ferry over to France why not include Normandy in your trip plans. It is right on the way. If you prefer Brussels. W/the ferry you could hit Oostende & Brugges, again right on the way to Brussels. In my opinion Brussels isn't worth more than an overnight stay anyway.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 12:56 PM
elaine

Do you have to return to London to fly home?

If not, arrive in London, spend 4-5 days, fly to Paris, return home from Paris.

Alternatively, fly into London, take a couple of daytrips to charming places like Bath, or Windsor, or Oxford etc, and/or you could include a 2 day visit to Edinburgh or York, or a 2-3 day sidetrip to Paris, returning to London for your flight home.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Rose

I know that you are interested in staying in the northern part of Europe but I highly recommend the Amalfi Coast in Italy. It is so beautiful and Romantic. Only 3hr train south to Rome! I would say to stay in Sorrento at the Hotel Ambasciatori ( a little expensive at 240 per night but so worth it!) and take boat day trips into the islands of Positano and Capri.

If you are set on the North try to take the TGV down to Avignon, France and do some wine tasting!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Lech Walesa

You can not possibly feel the culture of Europe without a week or more in Poland.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Konstandinos Simitis

You must include Greece.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 12:12 AM
Sjoerd

To really "feel" a culture, you would have to leave the big cities you are mentioning. All big cities are more or less international in "feel" these days. Go to Paris, spend 4 days there, rent a car and drive west to the Loire region, east to Alsace, or South for Bourgogne for the other 5 days.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 02:09 AM
Jorge Sampaio

You wouldn't really think of leaving out Portugal, would you?

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 09:03 AM
Mary McAleese

Everything you seek is in Ireland, just much more alive.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 11:42 AM
Ira

Hi Tina,
If you really want to do more than just be able to say "I was there", nine days is about right for one place.
We have been to London and to Paris many times and have not yet really seen them.
Since it is your husband's first time to Europe, my suggestion is go to Paris and plan day trips from there.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 05:31 PM
xyz

Since it is your husband's first time to Europe, my suggestion is go to Liechtenstein, the Ticino and the Dolomites.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:02 AM
A

Paris for 3-4 days. Then any village near Perigeux(sp?)in the Dordogne Valley. It is the epitome of what we think of when we think of the French countryside. If you want more info, pls feel free to email me.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:30 PM
Holland

Holland. holland. holland.