Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   An American alternative to Clotted Cream? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/an-american-alternative-to-clotted-cream-399967/)

DiAblo Feb 16th, 2004 12:43 PM

An American alternative to Clotted Cream?

Is there one? I've developed a taste for Clotted (Devonshire) cream, is there an American counterpart? Can one make their own? Is it available in specialty shops (I haven't found any yet...) Any information is appreciated.

jlb Feb 16th, 2004 12:56 PM

Hi DiAblo.
I know what you mean. It is delicious!
I live in Canada and we can get it at our regular grocery supermarket like Loblaws or Zehrs. Have you looked in your grocery store near the specialty cheeses or in the dairy case?

Holldoll Feb 16th, 2004 01:05 PM

Same thing happened to me--I did find it in a few speciality shops here. Although I've not used it in some time--sooooo rich!!

Daisy54 Feb 16th, 2004 01:08 PM

What part of the coutry do you live in, DiAblo? In my area (L.A.) there are several British import stores with clotted cream and other British foodstuffs like Irn Bru and authentic scones. Or try Trader Joes - they have a lot of specialty items.

Scarlett Feb 16th, 2004 01:09 PM

There was an old thread about Scones and clotted cream and someone gave the recipe for making your own.
Try a search on scones or clotted cream, maybe you can find it.

Gardyloo Feb 16th, 2004 01:13 PM

Try creme fraiche (most supermarkets) and I'll bet you can't tell the difference. Add a little sugar if you don't like the slightly acid finish to the creme fraiche.

cigalechanta Feb 16th, 2004 01:31 PM

Diablo, you CAN buy the real thing at the Whole Food markets. As I recall it will be in the Cheese department.
It is also on sale on line.

Dr_DoGood Feb 16th, 2004 01:35 PM

Sorry?! no difference between creme fraiche and clotted cream???

That's like saying there's really no difference between The Mona Lisa and The Last Supper!

DiAblo - good luck with your search for the real thing... just console with yourself that all the while you can't lay your hands on some you can't be clogging up your arteries with it either. I reckon we only have it max twice a year because it's soooo good it's also diabolically bad.

Dr D. :)

Underhill Feb 16th, 2004 01:39 PM

Oh boy, can I tell the different between crème fraîche and clotted cream! Clotted cream is nearly solid; crème fraîche is softer. As for buying clotted cream, you can get it from the King Arthur baking catalogue (and on line), among other sources. Our local market carries it, but I haven't yet seen it at Trader Joe's, alas (or perhaps a good thing!). You can make your own if you have a very strong arm and the ability not to sleep for 24 hours, as it's made by ladling warm milk over and over for that length of time. Devonshire cream isn't necesarily clotted cream, BTW--it can be just a very heavy cream of the sort you would put on berries. My personal favorite is Cornish clotted cream whenever I can find it.

cigalechanta Feb 16th, 2004 01:42 PM

Trader Joes Does Not carry it, But Whole Foods does.

pipsil Feb 16th, 2004 02:13 PM

This recipe comes from my Brit friends. I have no idea if it's authentic but here goes:

2 pints high quality full fat milk [ English pint is 20 ozs.]
1. Put the milk in a pan and let it stand somewhere cold for 24 hours
2. Sit the pan with the milk in a larger pan containing water to around the same level as the milk.
3.On a very very low heat bring the water to simmer-it's essential that the water takes at least an hour to come to a simmer and it's equally important that it never boils.
4.Take the pan off the heat and let the cream cool until it is absolutely cold.
5.Using a wide flat slotted spoon skim the cream off the top making sure you allow time for it to drain thoroughly.
That is all [all?] there is to it. The amount is supposed to be enough for strawberries and cream for 4 people

This is a recipe that came from somebody's ancestor and allegedly was made all the time by "grandma". Have I tried it? No way.I am able to get it at a local high class store at a pretty steep price.But then it does go a long way and my arteries will thank me for making this part of my daily diet

pipsil Feb 16th, 2004 02:27 PM

The above should read for NOT making this part of my daily diet

robbiegirl Feb 16th, 2004 02:33 PM

Mmmmmmm clotted cream is wonderful. We can not get it here in the states as it uses unpastuerized milk. Query the web for a recipe for Devonshire Cream. I have it somewhere. It tastes almost as good as clotted cream. Now I have a taste....

Patrick Feb 16th, 2004 02:36 PM

I have bought jars in the refrigerated department at our local supermarket (but it is an upscale market). They are imported from the UK, and say "Devonshire Cream -- Clotted Cream". I expected the worst when I first bought it, but I thought the stuff was as good as what I've put on my scones in Devon!!

cigalechanta Feb 16th, 2004 02:40 PM

http://www.joyofbaking.com/DevonshireCream.html

janis Feb 16th, 2004 03:35 PM

I buy it frequently in the States - Whole Foods, a local British shop and a couple of tea shops all carry it.

jody Feb 16th, 2004 04:02 PM

I find Clotted Cream regularly in Whole Foods and Fresh Market....but I can't find Creme Fraiche and have resorted to making that myself! It;s not that hard...but somehow it just doesn't taste like France.

obxgirl Feb 16th, 2004 04:17 PM

I made clotted cream once when I lived near a dairy that sold unpasturized milk. It was very similar to the recipe pipsil posted. However, I must confess that watching stovetop water take at least an hour to come to a simmer but not boil is the operational definition of death by tedium. Never again. Not even for heavenly clotted cream.

What are the brand names of the product sold at Whole Foods? Our Fresh Market carries a brand made by the Devon Creme Co. (Double Devon Cream and Clotted Cream) They're good, but not the real thing IMHO.

BrimhamRocks Feb 16th, 2004 04:31 PM

Thread about scones (including recipe for clotted cream):

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34441185

jody Feb 16th, 2004 04:32 PM

I'm going to Whole Foods tomorrow ..I'll look for the brand, and hopefully be able to resist! I am supposed to be dieting for my college reunion!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad our regular grocer had buy 1, get 1 free on HD creme brulee ice cream :x