Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   amalfi coast tour (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-tour-245102/)

Pat Aug 1st, 2002 08:14 AM

amalfi coast tour

We will be staying in Sorrento this august and Im wondering about touring. Can one get to Pompeii, The Amalfi coast and Capri by public transportation as a family of 6? And how about private tours of Pompeii? Can these be arranged at the site or in advance and are they really necessary? <BR>Can our family see the coast and Capri through group tour or must we hire private driver to get around?<BR>Whats worth seeing on Capri and should one spend a day touring Amalfi coast towns?<BR>Lots of questions -- help??<BR>Pat

ttt Aug 1st, 2002 08:17 PM

ttt<BR>

Steve James Aug 2nd, 2002 03:34 AM

Hello Pat,<BR><BR>All these places are easy by public transport.<BR><BR>Sorrento-Pompei trains run every 30 minutes. Get off at Pompei Scavi.<BR><BR>Buses along the Amalfi coast to Positano/Amalfi run about every hour, and leave from Sorrento station. <BR>(These can be busy in August, so it's best to get there early to get seats!) Both trains and buses are inexpensive.<BR><BR>There are also regular ferries & hydrofoils along the Amalfi Coast.<BR><BR>Sorrento-Capri ferries & hydrofoils also run frequently. Not sure if they offer a family discount, but it's worth checking.<BR><BR>If you prefer organised tours, there are coach excursions daily from Sorrento.<BR><BR>You should DEFINITELY spend a day visiting the Amalfi Coast towns!<BR><BR>In Capri don't miss Marina Piccola (good place for a swim!), and also the chairlift ride up Monte Solaro from Anacapri.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR>

pat Aug 2nd, 2002 07:24 AM

Does one need a private guide to do Pompeii or a tour guide? Or can a family manage the ruins with a good guide book...we like to be independent.<BR>Thanks for your input on the Amalfi coast.<BR>Pat

Sue Aug 2nd, 2002 09:52 AM

Some prefer a guided tour, some prefer to wander round at their own pace with a guide book. I think there may also be audio guides now. Really I think it's a matter of personal preference

Tess Aug 2nd, 2002 01:35 PM

Certainly the town of Amalfi & island of Capri are worth a look. And if you do a tour that goes up to Ravello (or can take a bus from Amalfi to this town) it's also worth a quick stop. Although I'm a Positano fan, I do have to admit this isn't a 'must-see' place for a day-tripper. Quite honestly, there's not much going on in Positano. I find it a charming little town with shops & restaurants. I enjoy the beautiful views and relaxation after spending time in other hectic & busier cities in Italy (for example, a great place for a couple days of R&R after being in Rome).<BR><BR>If you're heading to Capri, there's the Blue Grotto. I'm not a grotto fan --- thought it was much ado about nothing. However others disagree. If you want to see a lively discussion on the pros/cons about this very touristy attraction, run a search for the grotto.<BR>

Pat Aug 6th, 2002 08:27 AM

What about Capri -- is there much to do/see on the island and can a family of 6 get around. How do you travel around Capri -- bus, taxi??<BR>Does anyone know about the Sorrento Hilton?<BR>Thanks for the help,<BR>Pat