Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   5Terre weather in April, May, Sept. or Oct.? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/5terre-weather-in-april-may-sept-or-oct-206331/)

Suzanne Jan 26th, 2003 08:56 AM

5Terre weather in April, May, Sept. or Oct.?

I am wondering what kind of weather people have mostly experienced in Cinque Terre during the above months? I have looked at the average temperatures listed at weather sites, but I would like to have more of an idea based on what kind of clothes were needed! <BR><BR>I am not asking this so I know what to pack, but because temperatures are different feeling in different places. For instance, when I lived in the city I figured bathing suit weather to be at about 75F (approximately 24C), now I live in the country, on the salt-water and I don't usually get into my bathing suit until the temperature is well over 75F. <BR><BR>This will help me decide when to go! I like bathing suit weather that isn't too hot to do some hiking in.<BR><BR>Thanks to anybody who can give me some help! Have a great day! ~Suzanne

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Jan 26th, 2003 10:54 AM

It is a maritime climate, of course.

Suzanne Jan 26th, 2003 11:28 AM

What does that mean? Does that mean that generally in early October when the average temperature is 70F/21C that there is hardly anyone on the beach in swim suits?

Suzanne Jan 26th, 2003 11:34 AM

Maybe it will help if I add that I am looking for people with experience in CT during the months I mentioned. <BR>

Amazing Jan 26th, 2003 11:53 AM

Suzanne,<BR><BR>You seem to be having a problem, not only with the few responses you have received, but also with your &quot;attitude&quot;.<BR><BR>First of all, your header &quot;5Terre weather in April,<BR> May, Sept. or Oct.?&quot;, is totally &quot;cute&quot;. Talking in code is just great. Secondly, you want a weather report for 4 different months.<BR><BR>Am not suprised at all that few have bothered to answer you. Your responses seem to be very demanding, not very friendly.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>Amazing

Suzanne Jan 26th, 2003 12:05 PM

Amazing (and anyone else who feels the same way),<BR><BR>I'm sorry if I seem to have an attitude, I certainly don't mean to. I did the best I know how to try and see if anyone could share with me the kind of information I need to decide when I am going to go to Italy. I certainly apologize for any misunderstanding.<BR>Sincerely,<BR>Suzanne<BR><BR>

Lesli Jan 26th, 2003 12:23 PM

Suzanne -<BR><BR>The Cinque Terre are coastal villages, but there are not really any beaches per se, so I don't think you'll see many people in swimsuits regardless of the weather. I was there in April, and it was warm enough for short sleeved shirts and shorts if you had them, but I didn't see anyone in a swimsuit over the two days I was there. We did the hike between villages, and it was warm, but not too hot.

Dolcevita Jan 26th, 2003 01:48 PM

I completely agree with the comments of Lesli. Early April was lovely weather, perfect for hiking, tho noone in swimsuits.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Jan 26th, 2003 06:46 PM

You said you have the average temps by month. You also say you understand the difference in &quot;salt water&quot; climates. You had your own answer all the time.<BR>I have been there both in Apr and Oct. Forget the bathing suit.

Suzanne Jan 26th, 2003 08:34 PM

Thank you all for the helpful advise. You have helped me to make a big decision about my trip to Italy.<BR><BR>Because I trust experienced travelers more then a book and evidently Cinque Terre isn't what Rick Steve's says it is in his 2003 Italy book on page 302, I think I will skip it. Instead I will go somewhere on the water with warmer weather or spend more time inland. If anyone has a suggestion you can email me at the above address. I don't expect to be returning to this sight due to a few bad apples.<BR><BR>Thanks again to the nice people!<BR>~Suzanne<BR><BR>