Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   white sand and crystal clear water (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/white-sand-and-crystal-clear-water-238012/)

Jane Jul 9th, 2002 10:44 AM

white sand and crystal clear water

Looking for opinions for a 20 year anniversary trip. Originally was thinking of a trip to Hawaii, but really what we want is white sand beaches and crystal clear water wherever that may be - Anguilla? Aruba?St. John? Turks & Caicos?. Thinking perhaps the Caribbean would be a better value and shorter plane trip (from Ohio). We are on a budget, but do like deluxe accommodations. What island might be just what we're looking for? Thank you all.

cdt Jul 9th, 2002 11:00 AM

Aruba definitely did NOT have crystal clear water when we were there. Lots of nice white sand, though.<BR><BR>We found much clearer water, but smaller beaches, throughout the Virgin Islands (US and British). St. John is beautiful but Caneel Bay is the only hotel on a good beach. You may want to look at Virgin Gorda.<BR>

Howard Jul 9th, 2002 12:02 PM

Have been to Anguilla and Providenciales (Provo) in the Turks and Caicos 12 times each. Stay at the Frangipani on Anguilla and the last 7 times Coral Gardens on Provo. Spent our 40th anniversary there a year ago. Provo might be cheaper from Ohio. Understand US Airways will start to fly to Provo from Charlotte N.C. in Nov. Go to<BR>www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com and click on Turks and Caicos and reviews. I have a review of Coral Gardens along with restaurant recommendations on that site. If you click on Anguilla and reviews there is a review of Frangipani. Feel free to E-mail me with questions

d motl Jul 9th, 2002 06:05 PM

Check out isla-mujeres.net<BR>Great water and beaches--rock bottum prices and located only 10 miles from Cancun which always has good air prices.

brad Jul 10th, 2002 06:25 AM

Hi,<BR>my fiancee and I just got back from eleuthera in the bahamas. It was just perfect. Quiet, secluded white and pink sand beaches. We stayed at The Cove. Nice small place not too fancy but comfortable. If you go make sure to rent a decent 4 wheel drive jeep to get to the great beaches which are some of the most beautiful and dramatic i have ever seen.

Gina Jul 10th, 2002 10:52 AM

Another vote for Provo. Stayed at Coral Sands in August 2001. If too expensive, perhaps try Seagate -- located right behind Coral Gardens, but a little cheaper. Nice accomodations.

Cissy Jul 10th, 2002 12:33 PM

I'm with Howard and Gina. Anguilla or Turks (Provo). You can't go wrong. Turks a little easier to get to.

Bud Jul 10th, 2002 12:39 PM

Howard, What did you think of the Coral Gardens? On same level as Cap Juluca or Cusinart in Anguilla?

Penney Jul 10th, 2002 01:58 PM

Another vote for Provo. and Coral Gardens - toured the grounds and meet with the owner and the place is lovely.

Jane Jul 10th, 2002 02:54 PM

Thanks so much for your replies. My thoughts are also turning toward Mexico.<BR>Villa Rolandi looks fabulous!!!!!! www.villarolandi.com<BR><BR>Will continue to research everyone's recommendations!

mary Jul 11th, 2002 05:47 AM

Jane: You're absolutely right. It does look fabulous! Please give us a trip report when you get back. When are you looking to go?

Jane Jul 11th, 2002 09:09 AM

Mary, We have no definite time or place for this vacation yet. I'm thinking of the trip being sometime in the next year. Have not decided on any specifics so far.

Kat Jul 11th, 2002 01:50 PM

Anguilla! Exquisite beaches, wonderfully clear water. Sigh.

Holly Jul 11th, 2002 06:31 PM

Turks & Caicos! Went to Provo last December. The beaches were unlike anything I've seen before. Stayed at the Allegro which has a beautiful beach in front of it. Got a car one day and traveled the whole island, found a secluded beach. I'm Getting married in St. John in Sept...I hear it's beautiful there too. Then going to Caymans in December for the beautiful carribean water again. There's really no going wrong! Someone said something about Eleuthera...that is a beautiful island as well.