Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where to eat in San Juan? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-to-eat-in-san-juan-301289/)

emma28 Mar 27th, 2003 08:20 AM

Where to eat in San Juan?

I've mostly been hearing about dinners that cost over $100/2. Where can I find good dinners for two that's roughly $50? Can't afford to spend $100 every night. Thanks.

tom42 Mar 27th, 2003 09:00 AM

Metropol in Isla Verde has good Cuban/PR food in a casual, always crowded setting. You can definitely eat there for $50 or under for two. Also Mi Casita in Isla Verde, although I don't like it for dinner because no atmosphere in restaurant.

sparks Mar 27th, 2003 09:03 AM

It depends on what area you are going to be in. We stayed at the El San Juan & found a few good reasonable places within walking distance. The Metropol was one. Great Puerto Rican food. In the old section of San Juan we ate luch at Cafe Berlin. Prices were a bit high so we split a meal & it was enough for two along with a bit of dessert to round out the corners. Great food!

KATITCHEPOINT Apr 1st, 2003 04:05 AM

AJILO-MOJILO, traditional Puerto Rican cuisine, lots of locals-no tourists.

Statia Apr 1st, 2003 04:25 AM

Here's another vote for Metropol.<BR>

CF Apr 1st, 2003 04:38 PM

If the Mexican restaurant is still on the top floor of the El San Juan it was excellent and reasonable.

hej_sverige Apr 25th, 2003 06:02 AM

I definitely concur with Ajilo Mojilo (located in the Condado area). Fantastic, authentic PR food in a wonderful setting. When we vacationed in PR 2 years ago, we loved it so much we returned 2 days later. Love it! Also, I can't remember the name of the street, but in the Condado area there is a little mini-mart several doors down from the Louis Vuitton store. That mini-mart makes the delicious, warm breakfast and lunch sandwiches for about $3. My husband and I got a sandwich there every morning we were there. It kept us satisfied even through lunch. For an inexpensive, but good dinner try the little restaurant near the mini-mart and the Louis Vuitton store. The street splits right around there (2 1-ways) and if you walk down the street that is closer to the ocean you will come across the restaurant. We would have dinner for two there for about $14 (extra for alchohol)--and they were a great bang for our dollars. I don't remember the street names, but use the Louis Vuitton store as the landmark point.

scuba2work May 7th, 2003 09:41 AM

There's a sushi bar in Condado area called Wasabi. Excellent!

thomaseu May 10th, 2003 03:26 PM

For the best local food [and written up in the New York Times which let the secret out!] is Bebo's Cafe on calle Loiza around the corner from the Best Western Hotel. There is now a menu with daily specials [go for lunch as they sell out rapidly]. Many locals eat here for lunch so finding a table can be difficult. Just wait by the door and one of the waitresses will find you a place to sit. The food is fantastic and fresh and very authentic. We have eaten here hundreds of times as we lived part-time just around the corner. The full address is calle Loiza on the corner of calle Parque near the intersection of Loiza/Kings' Court and calle San Jorge. Try it!!! [but don't tell your friends]

glor Jul 30th, 2003 05:46 AM

Visit PR frequently and I agree that Metropol in Isle Verde and Bebo's are great for both prices and food serve