Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Turks and Caicos trip report (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/turks-and-caicos-trip-report-397819/)

johanna32 Feb 11th, 2004 05:27 AM

Turks and Caicos trip report

We just got back from our second visit to Provo and had a wonderful time. We stayed once again at the Sands,3rd floor ocean front one bedroom suite.The weather was terrific with rain only one afternoon. The first time we went we rented a car for a couple of days but this time had one all week and used it just about everyday.It was nice to have that option but you can definitely get by without a car. We ate at several restaurants,some expensive and some less so and you know,all the food was good. The Tiki Hut is great for a less expensive meal and the chicken rib combination for $10.00 on Wednesday is terrific. We also ate at Danny Buoy's,an Irish PUb, The Anacaona,Mango Reef,Hemmingways,and the Coyaba. We walked the beach a lot in both directions,from the Coral Gardens down to Club Med and you can't really go wrong with any of the hotels,it's just what you prefer.I had heard here,that there was a problem with the J an B Tours concerning an explosion and loss of life so checked into that and found out the scoop. There was an explosion quite awhile ago and a man died from a heart attack. There is a law suit pending but J@B is in operation as usual. Guess I'll just sit here and dream over the digital photos I took. How can anything be as blue as Chalk Sound????

cdt Feb 11th, 2004 06:12 AM

Was there any construction going on adjacent to The Sands?

johanna32 Feb 11th, 2004 06:31 AM

It is exactly as everyone has said in other posts. There is construction going on all over Grace Bay and boy I hated seeing that but to answer your question there was work being done about a quarter of a mile away and you can't hear any of it from the Sands. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't walked right past it.

Leslie_S Feb 22nd, 2004 05:58 AM

Hi -
Was the construction next to the Sands that you referred to for their "sister" property that they're selling units for in the Sands lobby? Or was it a different unrelated property? I'm just worried about them building right next door while we're there (thinking May 2004). Is that what has already begun but is not heard from the Sands? I guess from all the posts I've read that the noise shouldn't be an issue at the Sands...

rst Feb 22nd, 2004 07:43 AM

The "sister" property is a distance down the shore and is the one referred to in the above posts. But it is quite a distance away. The property right next door remains as it was. There is now a sign on it about a whole village to be built, but it is not being built on that property. It will be about 1/4 mile inland and it should be great: restaurants, shops, parks, etc. But it seems that it will be years before it's completed( or maybe even started!).

Leslie_S Mar 1st, 2004 07:38 AM

Thanks. After all the assurances we've gone ahead and booked for this May. Can't wait!!

rst Mar 1st, 2004 11:39 AM

We'll be there in May as well. We have a male"Leslie" in the family. Are you so afflicted? !!!

Leslie_S Mar 10th, 2004 07:59 AM

No, I'm not the of the male variety. I did have a great-uncle named Leslie but my folks swear I'm not named after him...