Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Rain every day? Turks and Caicos (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/rain-every-day-turks-and-caicos-588338/)

lkemerson Feb 5th, 2006 06:45 AM

Rain every day? Turks and Caicos

We leave in 15 days.

I know they cannot predict weather that far ahead [they try, but really...should they?] and I am seeing rain forcasted from now until a good while from now!!! Like when we will be getting ready to go.

I know on Grand Cayman you can see rain forecasted, and it may rain for a couple minutes and then blow over...my question is this - when it shows the hour by hour [on weather.com] it shows rain EVERY hour! I can't imagine it is a torrential downpour, so...

What are the rain days like on Turks and Caicos?

Also, water temp. Does anyone know where I can go to view water temps there?

thanks!

Laby Feb 5th, 2006 07:35 AM

lkemerson, there's no use obsessing about the weather. Whatever will be, you have no control. I've seen very hard rains and short passing storms. My advice would be to avoid weather.com (and its hourly predictions) and just look forward to your vacation. The one thing you can be certain this time of year is that there will be no hurricanes.

A_Traveller Feb 5th, 2006 08:20 AM

The weather web sites for anywhere in the Caribbean always forcast rain. If you looked at them everyday for a year you'd swear the sun never shines in paradise. Don't pay them any mind you are likely to have more need for sunblock than an umbrella.

CaymanSue Feb 5th, 2006 09:25 AM

Karen,
February and March are the 2 driest months of the year in T&C. Relax and enjoy!

Laby Feb 5th, 2006 10:40 AM

To put it in context, Providenciales gets about 20 to 25 inches of rain a year. Typical east coast cities get about 35 to 40 inches of rain every year. So, while it rains in Provo, it's much less than the eastern U.S. - which accounts for T&C's more arid landscape.

lkemerson Feb 5th, 2006 04:28 PM

Thank you everyone. I am not obsessing about it, just like to be better prepared. :)

What about water temp, is there a site, or link I can go to to get water temps?

Looking forward to a good time away! No worries, just questions.

TnTWalter Feb 6th, 2006 11:15 AM

We were there around the same time as you 2 years ago. It was the perfect weather, I don't recall any rain. The ocean water was warm [the average is 74-82 year round supposedly]. You are going to have so much fun. Please post a trip report.
Trish

TnTWalter Feb 6th, 2006 11:15 AM

Actually we were there a little earlier, so it will be even warmer for you!

caribfan Feb 10th, 2006 10:11 AM

I had the same forecast when I headed to Anguilla. Rain everyday. It only rained once for about 5 minutes. Like most of the other posters agree, try not to look at the weather reports. It's the Caribbean, so it may rain for a few minutes, but it won't be all day. T&C is supposed to be one of the drier islands, unlike St. Lucia or the lusher islands, so that should work in your favor.

cjnow Feb 11th, 2006 07:03 AM

i havent seen any rain in the forecast and i have looked every day, since i too will be leaving for provo in less than 15 days.
good luck! are you doing any diving?

lkemerson Feb 11th, 2006 09:45 AM

cjnow,

Don't check the weather channel site, if you didn't know better, you'd think it never did anything BUT rain there.

No, unfortunately, we will not be diving. We usually go to Grand Cayman in April and had planned to do diving lessons prior to going there [March would be diving lesson time], and doing our open water dive there for certification at our April trip [I think that is all the correct terminology :) ] However, we are very blessed to find ourselves due to be grandparents in April for the first time, [we go to Cayman as a family]. We still wanted someplace fun and warm to go to, and decided may we should go someplace new. We found a good deal on Provo, so off we go, but prior to when we would have taken diving lessons. Bummer.

So it'll be snorkeling for us. Next time...DIVING! So please post a trip report upon your return to tell us all about the diving.

We'll be there the 20-28th.