Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   rain (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/rain-296306/)

prettyvol Mar 10th, 2003 11:03 AM

rain

I am leaving for Jamaica in two days and it says 30% rain forlike a week:(<BR><BR>Does that usually mean rain in Mobay this time of the year??? This puts a damper.... pardon the pun on our vacay!!!

Barbara1 Mar 10th, 2003 03:20 PM

my daughter just returned from mobay in jamaica. she sid the weather was fabulous<BR>and I live in the Caribbean<BR>don't worry about the weather<BR>in the caribbean there are always showers. they come and go briefly and in between is lots of sunny blue skies<BR>enjoy!

Love2Travel Mar 10th, 2003 03:39 PM

HI prettyvol,<BR><BR>I made the same mistake you made before I went to Turks and Caicos last year. For about two weeks before I left, I checked various weather sites.<BR><BR>The day before I left, the forcast stated it was supposed to rain for five days straight, thunder and lightning, etc..I was so upset. In fact, if you do a search for posts around July 18-21, you will see my posts panicing about the weather.<BR><BR>Now, keep in mind, all the internet sites said terrible rain and thunderstorms. We stayed in Turks and Caicos for 8 days. It rained on 2 occasions, and the rain lasted seriously not even ten minutes. While it rained, the sun stayed out and when the rain stopped, it was hotter and sunnier than ever.<BR><BR>One night around midnight we had a thunderstorm. It was sunny and gorgeou the next day and the water was calm and inviting.<BR><BR>My point, (long, I know) is the weather in the Caribbean (unless there is a hurricane which you don;t need to worry about) is usually sunny and beautiful. If you have rain, it will be for a few minutes and will be a welcomed relief from the hot sun. The sun will shine after the rain and more than likely you will see a gorgeous rainbow!<BR><BR>Don't worry!! Easier said than done, I know! But I am willing to bet the weather will be fine.<BR><BR>Have a blast and no more searching the internet weather sites!!! :)<BR><BR>Denise

prettyvol Mar 10th, 2003 03:59 PM

thanks for your replys<BR>! I will calm down, i am just worried because I so need this break! Hopefully no problems Mon!! Evrything will be irie I am sure!

Love2Travel Mar 10th, 2003 05:11 PM

Hey again, prettyvol!<BR><BR>I totally understand how you feel. I was just trying to reassure you, thats all.<BR><BR>You will have a blast, I'm sure!<BR><BR>Be sure to write a trip report when you get back!<BR><BR>Denise

caf Mar 10th, 2003 05:18 PM

You can't control the weather. Jamaica is a wet island, usually the showers are brief. On the other hand, there was one February week a few years back--rained EVERY day! We had about 2 hours of sunshine the whole week. Our Red Stripe beer consumption went through the roof!<BR>Next year we went to a desert by comparison-Aruba.