Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Caribbean Islands (
-   -   Parent permission ltr. necessary for USVI? (

joangk Apr 5th, 2006 12:36 PM

Parent permission ltr. necessary for USVI?
My daughter and I will be traveling to the St. John. Nowadays, it is advised to have a notarized letter from the other parent basically stating that you have permission to be taking your child out of the U.S. I know the USVI is a territory of the U.S. but is it considered to be "out" of the U.S. to require such a permission letter? Anyone know?

A_Traveller Apr 5th, 2006 12:51 PM

You might want to check directly with the airline since they are the ones that will be "calling the shots" at check-in time but even that is not fool proof. If they tell you you don't need one get it in writting. Personally,I'd have a letter with me. There's always a chance that the ticket agent may not be fully versed in the requirements (if indeed there are any) and takes it upon him/herself to deny issuing you/your daughter boarding passes. Why start of your trip with that kind of hassel when because you didn't have a letter which is easily obtainable? Better to have one and not need it rather than need one and not have it.

WaywardSeal Apr 5th, 2006 01:47 PM

I agree, start with your airline, but you probably want to check with the State Dept. as well.

ejcrowe Apr 5th, 2006 01:53 PM

We're going to Puerto RIco next month with our granddaughter and plan to have such a letter on hand, whether we need it or not.

It takes such little effort, after all. And let's face it--not all airline employees or government officials always know the proper standard operating procedure. Might as well as get the notarized letter and be done with it in case you run into someone ornery and/or ignorant of proper documentation.

Scubagirl Apr 5th, 2006 02:11 PM

Yes, you'll need the document to travel. My travel companion has kids who live with his ex in Puerto Rico, and each of them need a detailed notarized statement each time they travel with the kids. Even with passports.
Technically, you're supposed to have one just to travel out of state.

wisconsin Apr 8th, 2006 05:45 AM

I just got back from STT+STJ trip with 2 kids + no dad. I took notarized ltr to be safe (afterall, it doesn't take much effort to get it - just type something and have other spouse sign/get it notarized). I was never asked for it, but numerous times (in Miami, FL and on islands) I was asked what my youngest child's name was, how to spell it etc). I joked with my 16 yr old that no one cared if I was kidnapping her, they only cared if I was "taking" my 11 yr old! I suggest taking a notarized ltr - someone I know traveled w/o one to Jamaica a few yrs ago + almost missed going (had to have spouse fax a ltr to airport!!!).

ajax_1 Apr 8th, 2006 03:40 PM

Several times I have traveled with my two oldest children and let them take a friend. I always had the parents of the friends type a letter stating that they give me permission to travel with their children and act as a guardian in case of an emergency, and they had it notarized. I was asked to see the letter both times that I travel with children that were not mine. Both times was American Airlines. Glad I had the letters!

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:11 AM.