Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Vancouver itinerary suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/vancouver-itinerary-suggestions-894985/)

misha2 Jun 14th, 2011 09:22 PM

Vancouver itinerary suggestions

I took the plunge and am about to use all our miles (plus money) to get a flight straight into Vancouver. We leave for eight nights in mid-July. The four of us (couple in 40's and teens) have never been to this part of the world. Love food, art, and adventure. Thanks to Fodorites who helped me on other posts.

So, how would you do it? We fly into to Vancouver around noon on a Saturday. Would you spend about four nights there and then go to Victoria for one or two? If there is availability should we make the effort to drive to Tofino? Should we spend a night on Whistler? Or, is there some other nearby city we should spend two nights in? Someone suggested that making day trips from Vancouver would be the most relaxing way to do this trip. Should Vancouver be the last stop since we will fly out of it? I want to enjoy, but I also want to avoid stress.
Thanks

misha2 Jun 15th, 2011 04:56 AM

More details -- I think we would like to take a free walking tour, a food tour, go to the suspension bridges, zipline, enjoy the gardens at Victoria and the BC museum, explore Stanley Park, possibly kayak, and go to Whistler.

misha2 Jun 15th, 2011 06:06 AM

Update: I'm thinking that we should go right from the airport to Victoria. it seems hectic. But, since we fly out of Vancouver, I think it might make sense. So, this would mean two nights or three nights in Victoria and 5 in Vancouver with a day trip to Whistler. Is that too much? Should I do two nights in Victoria, make the trek to Tofino stay there two nights and then spend the last four nights in Vancouver?

semiramis Jun 15th, 2011 07:03 AM

Based on what we enjoyed on our recent Vancouver trip:

1. Museum of Anthropolgy at UBC - absolutely excellent collection of West Coast Native North American artifacts (old and newer), beautifully displayed and many other interesting things (I liked the ceramic collection).
Plus you can combine a visit there with a visits to the UBC Botanical Garden and the Nitobe Japanese Garden (both at UBC near MOA). To do all of them thoroughly will take most of a day.
2. If you like West Coast native art, check out the Bill Reid museum in downtown Vancouver.
3. Stanley Park - just great walking and people watching and views. I would skip the aquarium though - we had a terrible time there (TEN busloads of under-supervised, screaming school kids just ruined it for us.)

misha2 Jun 16th, 2011 04:36 AM

Thanks semiramis. Here's my tentative itinerary -- Fly into Vancouver --Get to Victoria -- two nights n-- Drive to Tofino -- three nights -- to Vancouver -- three nights. Back home.

Thoughts?

sludick Jun 16th, 2011 07:28 AM

misha2, I noticed on one of your other threads that you live in the southern U.S. - we do as well. So, first off, remember that you will probably be pretty tired by the time you get to Vancouver. Since you're flying directly into Vancouver, though, I think that you will be ok getting to Victoria that same day.

You'll want to get familiar with the ferry schedule, and be prepared to wait for the next ferry if one is full. The trip across is about 1-1/2 hours; there is food available on board, and it is a very relaxing/scenic trip. At the terminal, there is also a building with food and stores, if you have to wait.

BC Ferries also has some itinerary suggestions and vacation packages, we find their site very helpful: http://www.bcferries.com/

Suggestion:

Day 1 - Arrive Vancouver. Take ferry at Tsawwassen to Schwartz Bay (about 25 minutes north of Victoria). Spend 2 nights in Victoria (you'll be pooped the first night, and won't arrive until late afternoon at least). Walk around Victoria, visit Butchart Gardens, Royal BC Museum, wherever else you like

Day 3 - Go to Tofino. Spend 3 nights. Allow about 5 hours to make this drive, but it is very scenic. Stop at Coombs Market in Parksville near Nanaimo to stretch your legs, buy some picnic food, do a little shopping. Take pictures of the goats on the roof. http://www.oldcountrymarket.com/ Plan on stopping somewhere on the drive across the island to Tofino to enjoy your snacks.

While in Tofino, maybe go on a whale-watching cruise (do a Zodiac, kids will love that). We like Middle Beach Lodge as a moderate place that is woodsy and rustic but still upscale, but there are other choices. Maybe go hiking in the Pacific Rim National Park, which is right there. http://www.vancouverisland.com/parks/?id=404

Day 6 - Back to Vancouver. This time, take the Nanaimo ferry (Departure Bay) across to Horseshoe Bay. Spend your remaining few days in Vancouver.

misha2 Jun 16th, 2011 07:37 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It all seems more manageable now. So, you would spend three nights in Tofino and give up a night in Vancouver, right? I figure we are more likely to go to Vancouver again, whereas Tofino is so much harder to get to. Where would you stay in Victoria? I have similar prices for Abigail's and the Marriot. Any Vancouver hotel or neighborhood favorites. Sludick, you have made my life over these next few days and for the trip so much better!

sludick Jun 16th, 2011 07:44 AM

BTW - I'd skip Whistler.

sludick Jun 16th, 2011 07:54 AM

Usually we use Priceline to bid on a 4-star place in downtown Vancouver. But with the 4 of you, that's probably not the best approach here. There are some other threads with good recommendations on hotels, and others may weigh in. But do stay in downtown - it's small and very walkable.

By the way - by coming back into Nanaimo, you'll be in North/West Vancouver, which is where you can visit Grouse Mountain http://www.grousemountain.com/Winter/, Capilano Suspension Bridge http://www.capbridge.com/, and/or Lynn Canyon Park http://lynncanyon.ca/ (this last one is free). So if you get in early enough, you can spend the time there before proceeding down into Vancouver. From there it's probably 20-30 minutes into downtown.

sludick Jun 16th, 2011 07:56 AM

I really should stop sending before I am done talking. In Victoria - we have stayed at the Marriott, and it is very nice indeed. Our friends who went with us are still talking about how much they enjoyed it. Have not stayed at Abigails, but did consider it and it is also well situated.

misha2 Jun 16th, 2011 08:41 AM

Alright, the Marriot it is! Could we do Grouse Mountain and the suspension bridges in one day? They were on my list and I love that we can do them on our way in. I will drop Whistler. Can you tell me more about the Middle Beach lodge. I have read the reviews and they are great. However, we will be in Tofino over my husband's birthday and I wonder if it is worth the splurge to go to Long Beach Resort. (Big Gulp) Do they include guides hikes etc, there? I'm considering getting him surf lessons or something.

sludick Jun 16th, 2011 10:17 AM

Hmmm. I imagine it's possible, although you would be pushed. If you leave early am from Tofino and were able to catch a ferry right away, you would have the afternoon into evening. You could visit Lynn Canyon or Capilano first - maybe just Lynn Canyon - since it's free - and then go up to Grouse. Of course you spend all day at Grouse Mountain... There's a lumberjack show, a Birds of Prey show, grizzly bear habitat, and of course the zipline. You could have dinner there, or burgers on the desk of the casual place by the lumberjack show and look out over the city.

I haven't stayed at Long Beach Resort, although many here are fans. Middle Beach is a nice mix of upscale and woodsy/rustic that we like, and we eat at least one of the staff-prepared dinners (salmon roast, etc., all served buffet style). Not sure what is available in July, but Middle Beach offers packages (kayak, surf, whale watching). Long Beach does the same, and they both have spectacular locations. Long Beach Resort would certainly have more of a fine dining experience.

Middle Beach: http://www.middlebeach.com/packages.html
Long Beach: http://longbeachlodgeresort.com/site...-packages.html

sludick Jun 16th, 2011 01:12 PM

You asked about Middle Beach Lodge. Here are some random favorite memories:

Turning off the main highway, you wind through some woods for just a bit. There are two main check-ins, the Headlands and the Beach. The Beach is less formal, and you would notice that there are yellow raincoats on pegs as well as galoshes next to the door. They are for your convenience, in case you want to walk along the beach or the woodland paths in the rain or mist. No TVs in the rooms (love that), but there is a TV room.

The Headlands is where the dinner is served and is higher up on the cliffs. It's also more upscale and there are TVs. In the morning there is a nice complimentary breakfast with homemade pastries, etc. served. In the afternoon there are cookies. Coffee & cocoa always there. The front desk staff makes these goodies.

If you are staying at the Beach, then going to one of their dinners involves walking through the woods (well defined path) for maybe 5 minutes. You might want one of the flashlights also. It's like luxury summer camp. The paths also go down to the beach.

Of course, both buildings have floor-to-ceiling windows in the lounge area overlooking the ocean, as well as balconies, comfy seating, etc. If you make a reservation for one of their dinners, go early to enjoy some nice wine. You'll find your table has a card with your name on it. Once again, the staff makes the food. It's homestyle, not fancy, but fun.

Now if somebody fills in the Long Beach experience, you can compare.

live42day Jun 16th, 2011 09:15 PM

They are both awesome places. Long Beach Lodge is more upscale, for Tofino anyhow. It is on a different, bigger beach than Middle Beach Lodge. THere are surfers in front of Long Beach Lodge and you can see the beach on thier webcam.
Middle Beach would be considered more 'homey' and Long Beach Lodge more casual elegant.
If you stay at Middle Beach go to Long Beach lodge for a meal or drink anyhow as the view is spectacular.

misha2 Jun 16th, 2011 11:27 PM

It's a moot point. :( Middle Beach and Long Beach are booked. I can get a one bedroom at the Cox Bay Resort For about $330 or a larger suite at PAcific Sands for about $600. Or I could get that mid $300 price at the Black Rock resort in Uecey. Thoughts?

live42day Jun 17th, 2011 07:59 AM

Pacific Sands and Cox bay are on the same beach as Long Beach Resort. All three are great. If you want the beach experience then go for either of the first two. Cox Bay Resort is quite new. I dont know if you will get a water view from the unit however, most are back in the trees.

Pacific Sands has recently been renovated I believe and I think most are ocean view. It is gorgeous.
At Black Rock you will probably get an ocean view room, and it is more of a walking hiking destination. It is beside Big Beach but it is a rocky beach, not the miles of sand that Cox Bay is. If you like hiking and the forest , rugged ocean trails then Black rock would be your choice.
There are some beaches nearby that you can hike down to.

misha2 Jun 17th, 2011 08:50 AM

You're right. I won't get the view that I so hungered for. I imagined reading at the lodge with tea while the family had surf lessons and I guess Cox Bay won't allow that. But, the additonal $900 is quite a consideration to. I will rule out the Black Rock since I do want that beach experience. Thanks.

NorthwestMale Jun 18th, 2011 05:06 PM

"How would (I) do it???"

(8 nights)

If you're from the southern U.S., AND have never been to Vancouver before, I sure wouldn't skimp ON Vancouver stuff just to make far-flung destinations elsewhere. The teens are sure to love Vancouver with a myriad of things to do, and you can walk the streets all night long and feel reasonably safe.

Victoria and the like are fine and dandy, but the lack of ease with which you could get there REALLY takes away from its appeal.

With "8 nights", I would demand at least four IN central Vancouver, and maaaaaaaaaaaaybe split the others between Victoria and Tofino, if that's your thing.

But I'd much prefer 5 nights in central Vancouver and 3 in Victoria, skipping Tofino. (the only reason to go "3" in Victoria being that it took so much effort to GET there and back)

Maybe a DAY trip to Whistler from the Vancouver base. I don't even think you need a vehicle for your central-Vancouver time. It's quite flat, surrounded by water, and there's a lot to see all around you.

Indeed you "might" get back to Vancouver one day, but consider that it is soooooooooooo far out of the way for most, that it is worth 'covering' thoroughly just in case time doesn't bring you back.

The teens figure to enjoy Vancouver so much that it makes a lot of sense to indulge them thoroughly there, rather than spending a considerable amount of your vacation hauling around from one destination to another (in addition to looooooooooong flights to and from home).

I can even see letting the kids design activities for one day each, in Vancouver, and then just taking great satisfaction from their freedom and effort in so doing.

Victoria is about 80 miles from where I sit... and I've been there once in nearly 40 years... and that was 25 years ago!

Just don't cram too much in there if it prevents you from stopping to smell the roses.

live42day Jun 18th, 2011 05:52 PM

If you are having trouble finding a reasonable room in Tofino, Best Western Tin Wis is on the same beach as Middle Beach, but around the corner. It is not a surfing beach as it is very calm, but you can drive to the surfing beaches in 5 -10 minutes. They have rooms with two queens or a king and sofa bed and you can get a cot. They go for around $300 a night in July and most if not all are ocean view. There is a resteraunt on site as well.
http://www.tinwis.com/tofino-travel-packages

misha2 Jul 3rd, 2011 03:34 PM

Northwest male,

What a great idea to have the kids plan a day each in Vancouver. I think they woud love that and it would be a great experience for them. I am tempted to do what you are saying. And, I am very worried about all the travel time. But, we are planning an Alaskan cruise (hopefully) in the next year or two and think we should be able to work in extra Vancouver time then. I know the travel time will not be fun, but I really want to check out Tofino, based on all I have read.

Live42day, I have booked the Cox Bay resort based on a suggestion from the reservation desk at Middle Beach Lodge. Should be fine.

Thanks for the help. I'll be refining my plans and have questions on other posts.