Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Should the Fires Prevent Us from Coming? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/should-the-fires-prevent-us-from-coming-278558/)

Jeanine Dec 9th, 2002 01:17 PM

Should the Fires Prevent Us from Coming?

We are planning to come to Australia the beginning of March--I hope you have rain by then, but for planning purposes, should this be of concern? Where are the fires? If we are going from Sydney to Melbourne--would this effect my traveling?<BR><BR>Also, can we drive from Sydney to Melbourne--or should we fly over?

Mina Dec 9th, 2002 01:26 PM

Jeanine, depends how much time you want to spend driving. It's not a hop skip and a jump. If you have limited days, fly.

liz Dec 9th, 2002 01:26 PM

It has now rained! By March you won't be able to see where the fires were.

Hopefully Dec 9th, 2002 02:17 PM

Knock wood! ;-)

xxxxx Dec 9th, 2002 06:35 PM

Try telling that to all those poor souls that have lost everything - and those that will when the next wave of fires comes through - hardly all over Liz.

liz Dec 9th, 2002 06:52 PM

Have some faith - there has been rain and it is only time until there will be more. The original question was &quot; should the fires be of concern to someone coming in March&quot;. The answer would have to be NO.<BR>Bye the way xxxxxxx I lost a 100 year old house to fire some years back so I know &quot;exactly&quot; how these people are feeling right now.

Aussie Dec 10th, 2002 11:38 AM

Jeanine,<BR>Please do not change your plans.<BR>While we have drought &amp; fires in some parts we also have quite a normal year in others.<BR>In Victoria you could head down to South Gippsland where it has been a normal spring, green grass everywhere.<BR>This area has Phillip Island ( Koala's &amp; fairy penguins.) follow the coast around through the most glorious sea veiws at Kilcunda, then on to Wonthaggi &amp; visit the undergroung coal mine. Explore the beaches of Cape Paterson &amp; Inverloch. Then head to Tarwin Lower / Venus bay . Roll on to Cape Liptrap light house followed by the lovely little rocky out crop of Walkerville.<BR>Then down to Wilsons Promotery beautiful long walks through the bush or along the water or climb a mountain for magnifician views of land &amp; sea.<BR>Then up to quant fishing village of Port Albert.<BR>Head inland to Tarra Valley / Bulga Park to the rain forest.(Just out of Yarram.)<BR>All the above are between 1.1/2. to 3 hours drive from Melbourne.<BR>This is only one very small area of Victoria. There are many mnay more area's to explore.<BR>By March even South Gippsland will be dried off. <BR>I would be flying between Sydney &amp; Melbourne.

Peter Dec 11th, 2002 08:21 AM

Americans are asked the same question regarding fires. Sometimes a fire can be hundreds of miles away and people think the entire state is on fire!